Forgive me if this is common knowledge - I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

What are our options for center consoles?  My manual MJ has the mini console with the little coin holder.  Can I find a larger console out of an XJ with cup holders and arm rest and it will drop in?

EDIT:  I've got stock bucket seats.  

Thanks!

I believe up to and including the 96 will just drop in.  After that there may be mods but not really sure.  I tried to fit a 97+ at the junk yard into an MJ and it was not a drop in.

97_+ is real close.  takes a bit of trimming and the mounting is a bit off.  but it's been done before and it comes with cupholders! :D 

check the DIY link in my sig.  there should be a thread on it. 

The consoles from an XJ up to 96 will work as previously posts say.

A factory console for an MJ will have a closed piece in place of the open slot in the XJ console where the parking brake lever sticks through.  

The console attaches at a bracket at the back and middle, and the shifter assembly at the front.  Something might have to be added at the front to bolt to if one has an automatic since the shifter is on the column.

Some XJ consoles will have a  switch for electric side mirror adjustment switch.  This will leave an unsightly hole since it won't be used on the Comanche (unless you add electric adjust mirrors!)

Later XJ consoles, and I forget exactly what year this started (93-94ish?) will have slots on the passenger side to add a factory cup holder.  There is also an aftermarket cup holder designed to bolt over the parking brake handle (on XJ setups).  Either version has limited usefulness, but might be better than nothing.

DSCF0833.jpg

150437-add1-lg.jpg

Ditto … up to 96 will drop in, BUT with mods.  You have to trim the front to clear the floor heater vents. 

I installed a center console in my last two MJ's after swapping the bench seats for buckets. I'll upload some pics later.

08142014 003.jpg

08142014 008.jpg

32 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

Ditto … up to 96 will drop in, BUT with mods.  You have to trim the front to clear the floor heater vents. 

You won't need to do this if you also get the floor duct in front of the console and do something to block off the passage for the duct under the console. I recommend doing that, because otherwise some of your heat will end up blowing through the console on the back cab wall instead of your feet.

1 minute ago, Minuit said:

your heat will end up blowing through the console on the back cab wall instead

Rear defrost. :L:   I'm in New Hampshire so it actually works out well.   Point taken though. :smile:

10 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

Rear defrost. :L:   I'm in New Hampshire so it actually works out well.   Point taken though. :smile:

Guess I never thought about that before.

The XJs also came with a duct that runs inside the console for heat to get to the back, I use it as a right hand warmer:roflmao:, heat comes out under the rear ashtray.

Alright, one more question - since I've got a manual, do I need to find a manual to do the swap, or do the automatics and manuals share the same console?

They're the same, except for the bezel around the shifter. The automatics have a sliding thingy with the PRNDL symbols where the manuals have a rectangular bezel that attaches to the rubber shifter boot. You'll just need that bezel. 

https://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-18886-94-Transmission-1984-2004-Wrangler/dp/B0093E8SRG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548435436&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=cherokee+shifter+bezel

Just bought a 97+ XJ console and will be swapping into my '88 4WD w/ Column shift.  I bought the JCR reinforcement bracket and will trim the console to fit as needed.  Should have some pics up in the next week or so.

I'm planning an eventual 97+ dash & interior swap, so this makes the most sense for me.