scam or not...

Pete M

found this on ebay.  too good to pass up or too good to be true?  ebay has done a good job of standing by buyers against bad sellers, so I went for it.  we shall see. :D 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=DEWALT++xr+Impact+-"3%2F8"+-driver+-dcf887b+-DCF894B&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=80&_sop=15&_udhi=90&LH_BIN=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah this has weird written all over it.  Seller has no ratings, has multiple listings for the same item, and has no other items listed.. :thinking:  I've bought dewalt bare tools at lower than normal prices like this from eBay and I've gotten them so the price doesn't seem too far off to me.  Maybe you'll get lucky.

the tool by itself is normally twice that.  with batteries takes it above 300.  :crazy:   that's a ton of dough just to skip using the breaker bar.   

in my research I learned that dewalt makes 5 or 6 different levels of 20v impact wrenches.  it's possible they are sending a less powerful one and pretending it was a "mistake".  I dunno.  I bought through ebay and paid with visa so I'm pretty certain I'll get the money back one way or the other.  :D

The sellers location on the feedback page is Japan the sale page is in the US. I call scam on it, just last night the wife found a phone she wanted thats normally around $200.00 it was %38.50 free ship. I paid for one and hour later the sale was cancelled by Ebay it was A hacked account however I got my money right then refunded from paypal.

18 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

If they had batteries and charger for it cheap too I'd be all over it. Their stuff is expensive. I have Hitachi and porter cable tools. Nothing dewalt cuz I think anymore you're paying for the name

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I buy the tool, not the name. 

There are two tools that Dwalt has down pat.

Compound slide, there is not an equivalent. 

And their drills/drivers/impacts, bar none. 

I drive 10s of thousands of fasteners- screws/olys/tap-cons/nuts/lag bolts..........whatever comes my way. 

Unfortunately those types of listings show up from time to time.  I purchased that same item about a year ago with the same result.  Order cancelled, money refunded.

I own a Dewalt DCF895 brushless driver and a Dewalt brushless drill.  They were both game changers for me, and worth every penny even at full price.

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself the Makita 18v  1100lbs impact wrench from Ebay for about 2/3rds what they are normally.  So far it has worked well and I have to say I'm happy.  I find myself sliding further into the Makita system however.  I would really like to see how well those warmer coats work, without paying for one.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

yeah, a coat warmer would be sweet :D  (assuming of course that it works in real life as well as it does in my head)

Apparently they're amazing.  I think people these days are soft.

A couple winters back we got pinched on a job with a cargo hook that wouldn't release.  It was -45, basically the cutoff for cold, but the customer had people out and wanted to go...  The fast way to get at the adjustment for the release you have to wiggle past the hook and into the helicopter, and well, unless you're a skinny guy it's not really easy.  I'm fairly skinny, but I also had a thick jacket, hoodie, and two shirts, along with insulated bib pants on.  So, I took all of that off save one shirt so I could squeeze past the damn hook to adjust it.  Wedged against cold aluminum, soaking up the leaked hydraulic fluid and turbine oil, I bare hand fiddled with that damn thing until it seemed good, then wiggled myself back out and onto the snow.  I was cold.  Real cold.  And wet from the oils and the snow.  But we were back in business.  The next turn the fuel gauge quit and I had nothing with me that could fix that, and that killed the day.  What a miserable time for absolutely no point.

Wait, where was I going with this story?

Oh yeah, the fuel gauge quit because the shop that had rebuilt some of the electrical components for us did not believe they were faulty, when we had very specifically laid out what the fault was and how it could only be produced in certain circumstances, and actually just put them back it without doing anything but a basic diagnostic that wouldn't reveal what was wrong with them.  Thanks.

Anyways, buy a heated jacket, and stay in school, don't wind up like me.

I work solo 99% of the time, a 16" timber saw is available to me but I'd rarely have a use for one. Here I'm building another set of queen bunk beds. I've only owned three circular saws in my 34 years and I still have two of them ( all Makita), the smaller saw is at least 17 years old and it's well used, a testament to quality. When it comes to circular saws it's Makita or nothing. I have a Makita table saw that I bought new 22 years ago, I just replaced it with a Hitachi but I'll keep the Makita as a back up. 

The 10.25 is small enough to remain a one-handed saw and large enough to reach beyond the 7.25 and still make fairly precise cuts. 

Buy the tool, not the name, regardless of price. 

On 1/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, whowey said:

I got myself the Makita 18v  1100lbs impact wrench from Eba I find myself sliding further into the Makita system however.  I would really like to see how welly for about 2/3rds what they are normally.  So far it has worked well and I have to say I'm happy.  those warmer coats work, without paying for one.

This is the trap. 

When building decks for example, instead of changing bits I'll run multiple drills and drivers, six of them and they require a slew of batteries. 

Then you'll have to decide which manufacturer produces the best and the most variety of 'bare' tools, circular saw, reciprocating saw, blower, jig saw, flash lights, right angle drill....etc...you'll find the 'remodeling tool' is a tool you cannot live without, otherwise known as the oscillating tool.

Batteries are the trap. 

RMWOoBZ.jpg

When buying cordless tools  you are buying into a platform, the core of the platform is the battery.......this is the trap. 

One will not buy a Ridged drill then by a Makita circular saw then buy a Dewalt remodeling tool.....etc.......

No one I know including myself will have multiple brands. 

One battery needs to fit everything, including the radio. 

Make sure the platform  you buy into will offer everything  you think you might need, not every platform does and not every platform is worth buying into. 

And wait till Pete buys a couple of batteries for his impact............if he thinks the tool is expensive.........

8 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

And wait till Pete buys a couple of batteries for his impact............if he thinks the tool is expensive.........

no need to wait. :D  my Uncle just bought me a pair of the bigger batteries for the work I did on his sister's porch. :banana:   We have the trim saw, sawzall, and grinder and it was long apparent that the stock drill batteries were insufficient. 

keeping to one battery is almost inevitable.  I say almost because between my father and me they are all 20v dewalt these days except my baby 12v dewalt.  It is one of my favorite tools.  It weighs very little and isn't insanely powerful like it's 20v brother and so I find I have far more control over what I'm doing.  :D  Essentially I'm kinda lazy (impatient?) and use it instead of manual screwdrivers. :roflmao: I own the impact driver too for times I'm avoiding bit changes. 

dewalt-power-drills-dcd710s2-64_1000.jpg

I have one of those that was my grandfather's.  I've tried to use it a couple times drilling through wood.  couldn't fathom what it must have taken to go through steel.  life was definitely harder back in the day.   :D