One of our own is down

Eagle

4 minutes ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

RIP Don.

Is it wrong to ask how old he was?

I didn't know him much, but I know his advice helped me for sure.

https://www.arabheritagememorialchapel.com/m/obituaries/Donald-Don-Hornbrook/Memories

Click obituary.  Otherwise go back to page 5 and it's posted directly to the thread so you don't have to navigate through links.

Hey guys, Don’s funeral was yesterday and it was a tough day for all of us. Even though we miss him more than anything, It gives me and my family comfort that he is in a better place and no longer in pain. I know everyone here knew this in reading his posts but I wanted to say that my dad was an incredible man who was funny, witty, and smart as hell. He was humble until his dying day and was a caring father and husband. My dad wasn’t a softie by any means and I am so thankful he was tough on us because I believe it shaped me into the person I am today. I wanted to thank all of you for being a part of his life and for giving him an outlet that he may live on forever. I hope its ok Pete, but I wanted to share this private message you sent to me with the rest of the club. It was so touching and heartfelt to the family that we had the pastor read it at my fathers funeral: 

“I had a thought last night that seems to have brought me a little peace (though some more tears with it).  Don was a huge part of the Comanche world for near 20 years.  from the very start of the "internet" as we now know it.  He has over 20,000 posts here at the CC, and that doesn't even include private messages.  20,000 times he took the time to help a fellow owner in need, to talk shop with his friends, to make a difference in a complete stranger's life.  And those 20,000 instances will live on for as long as there is an internet.  years from now, kids will be searching for answers about trucks way older than they are and they will read your father's kind and encouraging words.  He will never, ever be forgotten.” 

Thank you for the kind words and the incredibly thoughtful flowers and graphic. I attached a few photos of the chrome vase and arrangement - it was obviously the most badass arrangement at the funeral. I would be very interested in ordering anything this graphic is made into if that happens :). Also it’s looking like me and my husband will be the ones to carry on his Comanche legacy with his truck so we will be looking for helpful tips in the future. Obviously not too soon as my dad left it in pristine condition ;). Thank you again a and god bless all of you. 

V/r,

Abby

822A609C-3124-4D5B-A346-C05DB4E86057.jpeg

ECBEEE9E-26F6-4D1E-9BA4-F14603D80750.jpeg

2 hours ago, HOrnbroddaughter said:

Hey guys, Don’s funeral was yesterday and it was a tough day for all of us. Even though we miss him more than anything, It gives me and my family comfort that he is in a better place and no longer in pain. I know everyone here knew this in reading his posts but I wanted to say that my dad was an incredible man who was funny, witty, and smart as hell. He was humble until his dying day and was a caring father and husband. My dad wasn’t a softie by any means and I am so thankful he was tough on us because I believe it shaped me into the person I am today. I wanted to thank all of you for being a part of his life and for giving him an outlet that he may live on forever. I hope its ok Pete, but I wanted to share this private message you sent to me with the rest of the club. It was so touching and heartfelt to the family that we had the pastor read it at my fathers funeral: 

“I had a thought last night that seems to have brought me a little peace (though some more tears with it).  Don was a huge part of the Comanche world for near 20 years.  from the very start of the "internet" as we now know it.  He has over 20,000 posts here at the CC, and that doesn't even include private messages.  20,000 times he took the time to help a fellow owner in need, to talk shop with his friends, to make a difference in a complete stranger's life.  And those 20,000 instances will live on for as long as there is an internet.  years from now, kids will be searching for answers about trucks way older than they are and they will read your father's kind and encouraging words.  He will never, ever be forgotten.” 

Thank you for the kind words and the incredibly thoughtful flowers and graphic. I attached a few photos of the chrome vase and arrangement - it was obviously the most badass arrangement at the funeral. I would be very interested in ordering anything this graphic is made into if that happens :). Also it’s looking like me and my husband will be the ones to carry on his Comanche legacy with his truck so we will be looking for helpful tips in the future. Obviously not too soon as my dad left it in pristine condition ;). Thank you again a and god bless all of you. 

V/r,

Abby

822A609C-3124-4D5B-A346-C05DB4E86057.jpeg

ECBEEE9E-26F6-4D1E-9BA4-F14603D80750.jpeg

That. Is. Awesome.

Abbey, if you find some time in the next several months, you should read some of those 20,000 posts your dad made here.  He was SO proud of you, and bragged on you quite a bit:wink:

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

Also it’s looking like me and my husband will be the ones to carry on his Comanche legacy with his truck so we will be looking for helpful tips in the future. 

We will be here for you to help you with whatever you need.  And, when you need help, you're going to come across a massive amount of information posted here by your dad.  His shared knowlegde provides many of us the confidence and resources we need to work on our own Comanches.  I'm very thankful to have known Don through this club.  What he has left behind here for all of us will be treasured.

I joined this forum when I was 16 years old not knowing anything about the comanche that I had. But I wanted to learn. 7 years later I have gathered so much knowledge. And a lot of that from Don. He inspired many things that I want to do to my truck. Always was willing to help solve a problem. I saw the news today on Facebook. Wish I would have seen sooner. I will still go back and look at the info that he has given me. He is a big reason why kids like me understand these trucks. And that is something that he has given us, and will be here for ever. 

Rest in piece Don, and thank you for sharing your knowledge with the world. 

Damn...I've been gone awhile, and did not expect to come back to this. I haven't been around too long, but I too have gathered so much knowledge from Don's posts. People like him are far and few between, friendly to everyone, happy to help, never talked down to anyone. Stay good up there Don, we will look back upon your wisdom from time to time. Everytime we come to this site, I guarantee you will cross our minds. Thanks for everything. RIP buddy. 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Keyav8r said:

I think I speak for a lot of folks here when I say that though I never met Don, I felt he was my friend.  I sincerely regret not having made the relatively short drive to Arab to have a cup of coffee, compare Comanches (his would have won, no contest), and talk about  Bama, Jeeps and life in general.

I can only offer my deepest sympathy and my prayers for consolation to Don’s family.

Rest in peace, Don.  And, thank you for your friendship.

Ditto! Your work is done here, so go rest high on that Mountain Don. You made an impact on my life, without even knowing. 

I'm very sad to have chimed in so late for something so important,  but I hope you find Comanches in heaven as well. Just heard about this through Facebook. I remember many days on this site spent with comments and suggestions from HOrnbrod and it's very sad to see such a pillar of our community go. 

He, however, laid a good foundation so we will keep on being Comanche people. RIP you will be sorely missed, but not forgotten. 

How in the hell did i miss all of this... i knew he went

in just before Xmas, but didnt think twice when i read

he was looking up - i am such a bad internet friend...

RIP Hornbrod, thank you for all the help and friendship

over the years and i hope in your passing you knew how

much you were going to be missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Pete M unpinned this topic