Fealer for a group buy on fuel filler hoses

These would be the silicone type. An order of a hundred might be enough to get the company to make a permanent dye and part # for later listing online availability. I'm not looking to make a penny on this by the way. This would be a pre sign up feeler before going back to the 2 companies I already spoke with. I promise you they won't be cheap looking at other applications similar online for high end Silicon hoses. The tooling seams rather simple and I have no clue why it costs so much since the hose can be found online not preformed for less. I'm guessing around a $100 a set but it might be even more. This I think is expensive but it's a possibility for those who are serious. I'm sure color options would be available but who cares there. I just know this is engine eye candy for the most part but a new long lasting alternative for gas tank filler/vent hose.

I like the idea of preformed but honestly think you'd be better off trying to get the oem rubber type made.  I highly doubt there is that big of a market for MJ filler hoses and a small fraction of those who are in the market would actually be willing to fork out $100 for a set.  

If you could find other vehicles that they would potentially fit, like older Rangers, Dakota's, or S10s the market would be much larger and it would be much easier to convince a company to manufacture them. 

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

I like the idea of preformed but honestly think you'd be better off trying to get the oem rubber type made.  I highly doubt there is that big of a market for MJ filler hoses and a small fraction of those who are in the market would actually be willing to fork out $100 for a set.  

If you could find other vehicles that they would potentially fit, like older Rangers, Dakota's, or S10s the market would be much larger and it would be much easier to convince a company to manufacture them. 

I honestly didn't think to even try one of those companies. I went straight to the custom shops knowing they most likely would be more willing. When I get a chance I'll reach out. It's worth a shot. I don't want that fancy expensive crap especially since you can't see it there but just knew it was a good possibility.

33 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Surely there's gotta be something off the shelf that fits. It's not like the hoses are terribly complicated. 

I've used straight sections from NAPA and just bent them around the frame.  Worked just fine.  I would agree there may be something that works well that nobody has come across yet. 

Just now, Dzimm said:

I've used straight sections from NAPA and just bent them around the frame.  Worked just fine.  I would agree there may be something that works well that nobody has come across yet. 

That's what I thought. Even if there isn't a molded hose out there that works, the OEM filler hoses are nearly straight as it is.

1 hour ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

The post is for a feeler group buy for oem type preformed hose. Not what "could work" people are missing the point.

Why would I spend $100 USD on a hose that might only be produced once, when it turns out that some other hose that's in stock on Rockauto will fit?  Especially if that hose is considerably cheaper, and is for a vehicle that's common enough that it likely will be available for as long as we're still burning dinosaur juice?  Or even more so if I can just use some transfer rated fuel hose (which I can buy for about $3/foot and is in stock at 5 different places in town)?

You're trying to make a product that there won't be a market for.  That's the problem.  And that's why nobody is making it right now either.

2 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

The post is for a feeler group buy for oem type preformed hose. Not what "could work" people are missing the point.

I'm just about as much of a purist as you're likely to find on this site (maybe someone like Eagle, strokermjcomanche, or GJeep would be a notch above me), but even I know when too much is too much. I see this just like someone spending a hundred bucks on a set of boutique spark plug wires in the name of "quality" when you can get a perfectly adequate product for a fifth or less of the cost. I'm not at that point in my life yet where I can come anywhere close to justifying spending $100 at the very least on two hoses that can be replaced by $12 worth of straight hose. Even if I was, I enjoy throwing my brain at problems rather than money, and if I needed a fuel filler hose I I'd look to parts that are already out there.

I can just about guarantee that somewhere, someone makes a fuel filler hose that's more or less the correct size and shape that can be had for much less. It's just that nobody thus far has cared to go through a catalog and find the magic part. I think the main reason for this is that it's not like the fuel fill hoses are a high-failure part. Both of my trucks have their original filler hoses, one of which is going to be thirty years old in a couple of months.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Consider this a challenge to go out and prove me wrong. This isn't something I would be in the market for and I don't see many in our notoriously cheap community who would be - your estimate of a quantity of 100 is ten thousand dollars worth of fuel filler hoses - but if there is, hell yeah! That means one more part for our trucks that's in production that wasn't before.