opinion on first MJ purchase

ptjideri

I'd prefer something that is mostly done. I can handle some stuff like a new paint job exhaust brake upgrades etc. I don't want to really bother with engine or transmission modifications. This truck is destined to be a garage Queen and occasional driver. I already have two other vehicles and I'm not into off-roading.

24 minutes ago, ptjideri said:

I'd prefer something that is mostly done. I can handle some stuff like a new paint job exhaust brake upgrades etc. I don't want to really bother with engine or transmission modifications. This truck is destined to be a garage Queen and occasional driver. I already have two other vehicles and I'm not into off-roading.

Gotchya, and I meant to clarify when I said "needing some work" that it could be you doing the work or paying a shop. Not a ton of engine or trans mods on the 4.0's if you're not going to wheel it. I use mine similarly, i.e. DD for my son and the occasional work truck, and while there are a ton of other "mods", and many of them highly recommended, they are more for reliability and maintenance. Patience will find you one in as good if not better condition than the one you posted, and likely for less. Keep us posted!

I think that you are making a wise decision to wait. MJ’s can need repairs in the first year of ownership such as exhaust manifold, radiator, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc. that you probably won’t find out about until after you buy it and drive it regularly. If you’re not into wrenching on engines, those costs will add up. Unless he can show receipts, I’d be wary.