Black Friday score

mjeff87

I loathe shopping, especially on Black Friday.  But, Home Depot has/had a 3/4 hp Genie belt drive garage door opener on sale for $98 (regular price $197 or something).  I dragged my butt out of bed yesterday morning at 0430 so I could be there when they opened.  Long story short, it took me, a manager and two floor guys to find the only 2 they had in the store:doh: but I walked out of there with one.  It will be replacing the builder-grade, chain drive Wayne Dalton opener that came with the house when built in 2009.  It still works fine, but is so loud that small animals fall out of trees nearby when operated.  We have a bonus room above the garage which we use as a home office....if you're sitting there using the computer and someone opens the garage door you almost have a heart attack from the sudden noise, lol.

The inlaws are leaving for home early tomorrow morning, so installation is my project-of-the-day:beerchug:

Anybody else brave enough to venture out yesterday and grab a bargain?

2 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I was scouring the interwebs trying to find a deal on an Eaton Truetrac for my ZJ. Haven't found anything that beats regular price + shipping from 4wheelparts.ca. 

I've got a guy in the US that's probably cheaper if you want...  Not sure how amazing his pricing is on Eaton stuff, but he will blow any Canadian price on Yukon stuff out of the water.  Yukon makes a helical gear L/S too (not sure about your application).

I picked up some heavily discounted micro SDXC cards off Amazon.  That was it.  Nothing else caught my eye.  I did just about pull the trigger on another cheap action camera, but it's probably no better than the POS I have, so why bother.  4x4 vendors offering 10% off, meh, they do that all the time.

4 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

The inlaws are leaving for home early tomorrow morning, so installation is my project-of-the-day:beerchug:

Jeff, you are the nice guy in the CC family, but do I understand you are not replacing the one with the offending noise until after the inlaws leave? :))

2 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I've got a guy in the US that's probably cheaper if you want...  Not sure how amazing his pricing is on Eaton stuff, but he will blow any Canadian price on Yukon stuff out of the water.  Yukon makes a helical gear L/S too (not sure about your application).

Looking for the D35 in my ZJ. 3.54&up carrier. Pickings be understandably slim. Clearly the correct answer is to put a better axle back there but I want to keep a pretty factory appearance on this one, and factory for a '93 means I'm stuck with the Turdy5.

I didn't see one listed at Yukon's website for the d35, although it's not the easiest site to navigate. The other options I've seen for helical style gears are from Nitro, which is a bit of an unknown and priced competitively with the Truetrac which is a known factor; and the Powertrax Grip Pro which looks exactly like the Nitro down to the silly single red fastener on Powertrax's site but claims to be the most skookum choice despite being priced lower than the others (so I'm skeptical) while also having no reviews, poor supply, and somehow all the retailers have photos of a very different unit than what Powertrax has pictured. And I guess there's one from Torsen themselves although they list it for a Ford SLA IFS application (supposedly not compatible with TTB) that I haven't confirmed is going to work.

I'm definitely open to other options if they exist. Looking at CAD$625 to my door... or at least a local business's door. Shipping so far has been the big killer on US suppliers. Not that 4wheelparts isn't just a Canadian extension of a US supplier anyhow, but I don't need to deal with exchange rates and $10 shipping isn't awful. Looking at $470 US which is only more than the going rate until you factor in US$75-150 for shipping, depending on retailer. 

7 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Looking for the D35 in my ZJ. 3.54&up carrier. Pickings be understandably slim. Clearly the correct answer is to put a better axle back there but I want to keep a pretty factory appearance on this one, and factory for a '93 means I'm stuck with the Turdy5.

For the 912A569 he's listing it at $546 USD.  I don't think he'll have the wiggle to come in cheaper than the $625 CAD delivered.  But I'll ask him.

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

Jeff, you are the nice guy in the CC family, but do I understand you are not replacing the one with the offending noise until after the inlaws leave? :))

Well, that's one way to look at it:laugh:

I was up at 0530 this morning.  While my wife went to work (and abandoned me yet again with her 'rents, I did all the laundry, changed out all the outside decoration thingies to "winter" stuff, dug up a dying Leyland Cypress tree (cut a bunch of boughs off to make Christmas decorations....), spread 275 lbs of Milwaulkee's best fertilizer (milorganite) on the lawn, grabbed a pizza for everyone for lunch and got dinner going.  All the while the inlaws slept/laid on the couch/watched TV.  Now, my wife and her mother are out shopping, FIL is passed out on the couch, and I'm drinking my 37th beer of the day.  I have no desire to rig up the new opener at this point, lol.

7 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

For the 912A569 he's listing it at $546 USD.  I don't think he'll have the wiggle to come in cheaper than the $625 CAD delivered.  But I'll ask him.

Awesome, thanks. And yeah that's the one. It's always worth a shot. 

Jegs and Summit were the best prices I found at about $US450. I'm still almost expecting to get that $625 billed in USD because its like $800 from any other place I found this side of the 49th.

Bought a Daniels knockoff of the AFM8 20-32awg pin crimper with set tools for $189 shipped on ebay.  

Was pleasantly surprised to find it to be identical in quality, function, and design to the Daniels kit, which would be around 750 for all the same pieces.

have to send it off for FAA calibration for repair station in 2 weeks.  Going to put it through the ringer this week to prove it will do the job.

D604713C-40F5-4956-BCD8-36366392333D.jpeg

15 minutes ago, JeepcoMJ said:

Bought a Daniels knockoff of the AFM8 20-32awg pin crumpet with set tools for $189 shipped on ebay.  

Was pleasantly surprised to find it to be identical in quality, function, and design to the Daniels kit, which would be around 750 for all the same pieces.

have to send it off for FAA calibration for repair station in 2 weeks.  Going to put it through the ringer this week to prove it will do the job.

D604713C-40F5-4956-BCD8-36366392333D.jpeg

Was it a retailer that has multiple?  I could use one.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:21 AM, gogmorgo said:

I was scouring the interwebs trying to find a deal on an Eaton Truetrac for my ZJ. Haven't found anything that beats regular price + shipping from 4wheelparts.ca. 

I would check ebay when they offer X% off 1 item. I've used it a few times to pick up gears, a winch and other parts. I know summit is on there and should have a trutrac  

Frankly the shipping costs thing is ridiculous. eBay themselves straight up make it worse. When I got the NOS Ecodes for the ZJ, I couldn't source both sides from the same seller, but by coincidence the cheapest options for either were both in the Milwaukee area. I bought them the same day, they both shipped the next day. One cost about 50% more to ship than the other. One went with USPS, the other with eBay's "simple and convenient" Global Shipping program. One of them made it to Fairview, AB, in four business days; the other took two whole weeks. Would you believe not using the stupid global shipping program was both cheaper and quicker? And half the time they don't even tell you what courrier they used which is a major PITA for me because almost none of the carriers actually drop packages off at my address, and they keep changing where they drop packages to make things worse... And now the post office is on strike, which was the only reliable way to get $#!& here. I'm only a little bitter. 

Jegs and Summit both have eBay listings at US$440, and magically only like $25 shipping, which just slightly undercuts what I'm getting semi-locally, but I don't think it's worth enough to merit trying to chase the shipment around when 4wheelparts.ca will use a courrier I know to be reliable. 

Well, I installed the new opener after work/gym today.  I budgeted 2 hours, it took me almost 4.  It would have helped if I wasn't working alone, an extra set of hands to hold things/move ladders/grab fallen fasteners when I dropped them while on said ladder:laugh: or to grab me the right tool I needed.  It couldn't have been a more PITA to swap out, and the directions that came with were abysmal.

Its all in, including the new keypad remote outside, but I have to spend more time on it this weekend prettying it all up some.  My OCD won't let me leave it the way it is for too long, lol.

It is WHISPER quiet though, which is what I wanted:banana:

23 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Well, I installed the new opener after work/gym today.  I budgeted 2 hours, it took me almost 4.  It would have helped if I wasn't working alone, an extra set of hands to hold things/move ladders/grab fallen fasteners when I dropped them while on said ladder:laugh: or to grab me the right tool I needed.  It couldn't have been a more PITA to swap out, and the directions that came with were abysmal.

Its all in, including the new keypad remote outside, but I have to spend more time on it this weekend prettying it all up some.  My OCD won't let me leave it the way it is for too long, lol.

It is WHISPER quiet though, which is what I wanted:banana:

Good to hear this Jeff - I had a head unit on one of my garage doors die about a week ago. It's well over twenty years old, chain drive, and the problem is the head unit. Something smoked in the motherboard; can't program it anymore and it's unable to receive and process a signal from a remote. I'm just going to replace the head unit with a more modern one from Lowes and keep the chain drive - not worried about it being noisy.

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

Frankly the shipping costs thing is ridiculous. eBay themselves straight up make it worse. When I got the NOS Ecodes for the ZJ, I couldn't source both sides from the same seller, but by coincidence the cheapest options for either were both in the Milwaukee area. I bought them the same day, they both shipped the next day. One cost about 50% more to ship than the other. One went with USPS, the other with eBay's "simple and convenient" Global Shipping program. One of them made it to Fairview, AB, in four business days; the other took two whole weeks. Would you believe not using the stupid global shipping program was both cheaper and quicker? And half the time they don't even tell you what courrier they used which is a major PITA for me because almost none of the carriers actually drop packages off at my address, and they keep changing where they drop packages to make things worse... And now the post office is on strike, which was the only reliable way to get $#!& here. I'm only a little bitter.

The Global Shipping thing is insane.  I needed a pulley, standard stamp sheetmetal serpentine pulley about 8" in diameter...  Shipping is $46.  Need overcomes cost.  Meanwhile I see there's a whole cast aluminum intake and cast iron exhaust manifold setup for the same engine, shipping for that is $13.

WHAT THE FUDGE!

Yup. 100%. I don't really understand how they thought it would be better that way. You pay initial shipping costs to get it to Cincinnati, then you pay their middlemen to stick another label and a sticker on the box, then they pay a courrier to send it from Cincinnati to wherever you want it to go. Cincinnati really isn't on the way to most of Canada from almost everywhere in the US.

And just so people know what we're ranting about:

Mrarbbb.png

That kit in the middle, sure there's a bunch of stuff in it. 2x carrier, ring and pinion, install kits, and diff covers. But at $25 per box, that would still only add up to $200, not $465. $200 to ship it once, $200 to ship it again, and then I guess $65 for the totally unnecessary middleman.

Someone's getting rich off that, and it's not the idiot who agreed to pay it, that's for sure.

And that's before exchange rate. I'm looking at $2700 all in to get it to my door, $620 just in shipping. I could buy three more running, driving ZJs for that.