the new Jeep truck. it is what we all thought it would be.

Pete M

What are the specs on the "bed" size?  That looks even less functional than an Avalanche.

I know, the MJ didn't have a full sized bed either, but at least it was functional......more so the LB.. Some of us consumers look for a pickup to be able to do pickup truck kind of things.

I R disappoint.:sad:

Meh, took them long enough, but it ain't no gladiator, even if that's what they call it.

Why are the back doors angled? The whole bed and back window look slapped together to me.

I wonder what a base 4x4 model will go for. 35k 40k? No thanks.

No SFA either.

It just seems like a cash grab that will be discontinued in a year or two. 

28 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

What are the specs on the "bed" size?  That looks even less functional than an Avalanche.

I know, the MJ didn't have a full sized bed either, but at least it was functional......more so the LB.. Some of us consumers look for a pickup to be able to do pickup truck kind of things.

I R disappoint.:sad:

Bed looks to me to be about the same size of a Brute.......

1 hour ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

Why are the back doors angled? The whole bed and back window look slapped together to me.

I wonder what a base 4x4 model will go for. 35k 40k? No thanks.

Back doors are likely the same stamp used on JLU, keeps production costs down I'd guess.

Going on Jeep.com they have JL base starting at $29k, so I'd imagine you're not touching a "Gladiator" for under $35k everything said and done for a base model. They don't have Gladiator listed yet.

It'll likely be 3.6L Pentastar, 2.0L "Hurricane" turbo 4 cylinder [from the Alpha Romeo 952], and a rebranded eco-diesel 3.0L , same prospects upcoming for JL. I'd be surprised if they weren't all 8 speed autos.

I'd be better with the Scrambler nameplate, seeing as how that was a CJ of it's time. Just because it was called a Gladiator during the concept built off an [unreleased at the time] JKU in 2006, doesn't mean you have to keep it, you know.

All things considered though, I've always been keen of Mike Manly, his years with Jeep and as he got more say in design, he was always adamant about staying true to the loyalists, and he really does mean it, I think anyway. He was at EJS every year for the past decade, wheeling with owners. Now with him as top dog at FCA, I think Jeep will get some special attention from him. Hopeful anyway.

Side note: Huh, apparently you can still buy a JK or JKU on Jeep.com. That's pretty rad.

Gladiator or Scrambler or whatever the official name is, we'll know all about it come November 30th, as it'll be debouting at the LA Auto Show.

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

image.png.abe5d85d39a3cd007682a3ba6b757cdd.png

^^  This I would have bought. Even with an extended cab. But not a chopped off 4-DR JL with a tinker-toy box hanging out the back. They're trying to please everyone I guess, but they're not pleasing anyone.

I second that! The 4 dr mini bed is a joke! A swb mj fits more. Why did pickup trucks ever stop being full size beds anyway? Its just more shiney luxury worthless buttons with bling with a price tags that don't reflect much performance gains from the 30 years ago and its all over priced autos today.

Wasted effort on FCA’s part.  Could have been so much better.  It looks like it was cobbled together from the parts bin and a few new stampings.

They’ll probably get a rush of orders from those wannabe Jeepers that just have to have the latest thing with a JEEP nameplate.  I could be wrong, but I don’t see it lasting.

People looking for a pick up to carry stuff will look elsewhere.

People looking for a family hauler to the beach or mountains will want a cargo space to keep their gear safe and dry.  

No, I think the market is the "wanna-be's" that will pull up along side MJ (and J-series) owners and wave to us, like they're now part of the club.  We'll politely wave back - with more than 1 finger.

17 hours ago, bluenotenick said:

Funny how I don't hate the name quite as much with a full bed. Maybe because it would actually carry something BIG. I'm not sure I can own a Jeep without a full bed, so I just had to mess around with it.

The Better Gladiator.jpg

I like this much better. Optimum for me would be an extended cab (2-door) version, with just a bit of enclosed cargo space behind the front seats. If AMC/Jeep had offered an extended cab version of the Comanche in 1988, I would have bought that in a heartbeat rather than my first Cherokee. Their version of the new "Gladiator" looks like exactly what it is -- a hastily thrown-together pistache (or parody) of the Wrangler. I am completely underwhelmed by it.