Thanksgiving traditions

mjeff87

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

Yeah, I know.  My father was a Nam vet (Korea too).  I know the sentiment back then, and while I don't agree with it, as much as I hate to say it, it's a part of American history.

Aside from that little part, you have to admit the song is funny as all h*ll.

Yeah, it got so bad we couldn't travel in uniform anymore w/o taking abuse from the rabble. But that was a joke too since most every guy that wasn't in the military had hair at least down to his shoulders. Wasn't a fun time to be in the military. Didn't care much for Arlo, Woodie, Seeger, and the rest of the singing protestors either then. But times change, I really like their music now.   :wink:

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

I can eat them fried, not too keen otherwise, lol.

Fried? Yuck - that's how to destroy an oyster. Raw in the half shell on ice, dash of hot sauce, suck it down, chase with a swallow of cold High Life.  Heaven.....

We all go to my grandparents house and grandma gets up really early and makes most of the meal.  Full turkey with homemade stuffing baked in the same pan.  Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, bacon topped baked beans, and homemade rolls.  All their kids are responsible for the corn casarole, pies, and snicker salad.  Unfortunately I have one aunt that insists on ham for Thanksgiving since that's what her family always did.  She got her way once and my grandma made a ham and turkey but she was the only one to eat the ham so it never happened again but we still hear about it every year. 

My dad, uncles, grandpa, and I usually play a game of HORSE before dinner.  We eat, get miserable for about an hour, then usually play some screwball (card game kinda similar to euchre) for change.  Usually come out about $1 ahead.   I'm getting into my mid 20s while all the other grandkids range from just starting high-school to just starting middle school, so they are all off playing with my old toys from when I was a kid, some of which were also my youngest uncles toys, all still stuffed in the same closets they've been in for 20 - 30 years or so.  

Ah traditions are nice.  Unfortunately this year I won't make it back for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  It's just been a weird year for me.  Everyday feels like the last and holidays just feel like another day. 

We all go to my aunt's. We have Turkey and ham along with all the sides. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, corn casserole, homemade buns, and cranberry sauce. One of my cousins is married to a Loation so his mom brings egg rolls and fried rice. For dessert we get all sorts of pies. Pumpkin, Apple, cherry, pecan, and chocolate. Along with pumpkin rolls and what my family calls fluff. It's whipped cream with fruit in it. That is what I refer to as an Iowa meal.

Slight thread drift, but amusing (or not!):

In November of 2010, my late wife and I were in her native country to finalize the adoption of her granddaughter. The process included a double hearing before a magistrate of their equivalent of something between our Probate Court and some slightly higher level of civil court. In that country there's an entire division of the judiciary devoted to marriage and family issues. We weren't allowed to have an attorney, but the government agency that oversees adoptions sent a social worker (whom we had met previously, when she came to where we were staying to do an in-depth interview), and an attorney. The social worker didn't speak any English, but we muddled through the interview part with my limited conversational Spanish.

The agency attorney did speak English, moderately well. However, her knowledge of American history was, shall we say, somewhat erroneous. We had the hearing before the magistrate. First, the granddaughter had to go in alone and be interviewed by the magistrate. Then the granddaughter had to wait outside while my wife and I were quizzed by the magistrate. That was a strain on me, because the attorney wasn't allowed to translate for me, and the magistrate didn't speak any English. I guess I didn't make any serious mistakes, because the adoption was subsequently approved. But I digress ...

After the hearing, but before we had any idea how the judge would rule, we all walked out of the building together and we were discussing the fact that we Americans were going to miss Thanksgiving. The attorney proceeded to explain to the social worker that the first Thanksgiving was when the Pilgrims invited the Indians to a feast and then slaughtered them. I had to explain that that's not exactly how it transpired. I always wondered where she learned that particular nugget of misinformation.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of ... food.

^^^lol

Frankenturkey (breast) is stuffed and in the oven.  It should be done anywhere between 1:00 and Saturday.

Alices Restaurant is cued up, ready to go at noon.  I've already started drinking beer.

Happy Thanksgiving CC:beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is late, but my family has a "Trashcan Turkey" tradition... 

It sounds weird, but we cook 2 turkeys every year, 1 deep fried and 1 one done in a metal trashcan with coals. You want a bowl or something under the turkey as well to catch the juices and keep it humid in the trashcan. We've done brined turkey before but a smoked turkey cooked with the trashcan method has been one of the best tasting turkeys I've had. 

IMG_6285.PNG

IMG_6225.JPG

That is awesome:beerchug:

I realllllllyyyy want to do a whole pig roast one summer and invite all of my neighbors over for a big party.  Problem is that my yard/grass is my hobby and I don't want to dig up/burn up any of it LOL.  There's some common area beside my house that technically belongs to the HOA but I maintain it (I'm going to claim eminent domain on it in a couple years......) that I might use to build a temporary cinderblock oven on.

24 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

That is awesome:beerchug:

I realllllllyyyy want to do a whole pig roast one summer and invite all of my neighbors over for a big party.  Problem is that my yard/grass is my hobby and I don't want to dig up/burn up any of it LOL.  There's some common area beside my house that technically belongs to the HOA but I maintain it (I'm going to claim eminent domain on it in a couple years......) that I might use to build a temporary cinderblock oven on.

That would be rad! I'm sure if you're cooking enough for everyone the HOA might be into it as well haha