junkyard score!

Pete M

I was in the Atlanta area buying steel for my winch mount and figured I'd swing by pullapart north.  didn't have any 05+ libertys so I wasn't able to get what I need, but they did have an earlier liberty Renegade and I left with the light bar and  t-case skidplate. :D 

it's just sitting on there for the pic, not yet installed.

20181109_133252.jpg

Yeah, you get an official "you suck" award for that, especially for the light bar:beerchug:

i went to to my local yard a couple weeks ago just cause I hadn't been in forever.  They only had 2 KJs, but one of them was a real nice 02 (same as mine).  I scored, finally, the rear glass flipper pad:banana: and the driver side door seal (mine has a small rip in it, in the same spot as they all do).  Total cost was $5, lol.  Pad is already installed, I'm replacing the door seal tomorrow.

Several Renegades have been through my local yards over the years, if the light bar wasn't damaged before someone always beat me to it.

Few weeks back an 02 Renegade got put out that clearly had the lightbar in the pictures, it was put out on thursday, I got there on saturday morning after they opened. it was gone. :(

But, they didn't take the lightbar switch.....or the light bar light covers that snap in.....weird.

Same day I found an 05 Renegade at another yard.....with no lightbar, but it never had one to start with, 05+ the renegade was just a appearance package, not all came with skids and not all came with the lightbar.

I really want the renegade hood for my KJ, I love the flat hood look over the bubble eyes most KJs had.

Also I found recently that the 2002 KJS have a radio bezel that has 2 power outlets instead of 1, and an ashtray. This is much more useful than the single power outlet and dumb ledge that the 03+ have. I swapped in the silver bezel from a 2002 into my KJ and now I have 2 outlets!

A CRD block for under 2 grand?  now THAT'S a steal :D 

the only reason I got the light bar is because I own a batt powered grinder. :jammin:  that KJ was a rotting mess of rust and the attachment studs all spun around aimlessly.  I wasn't the first to try, I just tried the hardest. :D

do you have a pic of this double outlet?

Yep, that's the bezel.  The second 12v outlet is constant hot, not keyed.  It's nice to plug up a cell phone charger or GPS to.  I have no use for the ashtray except to keep some spare mini fuses in (which I've never had to use, lol).

On 11/9/2018 at 11:15 PM, Sir Sam said:

I really want the renegade hood for my KJ, I love the flat hood look over the bubble eyes most KJs had.

So I looked up the flat hood and I really like it!  what does it take to swap one in?  I may have to swing by that junkyard again to check out if it had it.

for anyone that doesn't yet know, here's a pic of what we're talking about.

1F7CE585-ED64-4E39-B7F3-583652AB9B5E_2.jpg

On 11/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, Pete M said:

A CRD block for under 2 grand?  now THAT'S a steal :D 

the only reason I got the light bar is because I own a batt powered grinder. :jammin:  that KJ was a rotting mess of rust and the attachment studs all spun around aimlessly.  I wasn't the first to try, I just tried the hardest. :D

do you have a pic of this double outlet?

We've seen some running rusty KJs for $2k at this point, almost cheap enough for parts Jeeps.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:30 PM, Pete M said:

is this it?  that won't work for me. :(  the left side is my trailer brake controller location. 

s-l1600.jpg

17 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Yep, that's the bezel.  The second 12v outlet is constant hot, not keyed.  It's nice to plug up a cell phone charger or GPS to.  I have no use for the ashtray except to keep some spare mini fuses in (which I've never had to use, lol).

When I added it to mine I daisy chained the power off the exisiting one, which is always hot. So both are hot. But I like the way the 2002s are, which is like the XJs.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

So I looked up the flat hood and I really like it!  what does it take to swap one in?  I may have to swing by that junkyard again to check out if it had it.

for anyone that doesn't yet know, here's a pic of what we're talking about.

1F7CE585-ED64-4E39-B7F3-583652AB9B5E_2.jpg

If the junkyard Jeep was an 05+ it would have the flat hood, and some 07 limiteds. The 02-04 Renegade had the same hood.

I put my change in the driver side door armrest (the little cuppy part).  FYI, when that little spot is full of mixed change (full is when coins start flying out of it when you close the door:roflmao:), you have approximately $11 in change.

8 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

We've seen some running rusty KJs for $2k at this point, almost cheap enough for parts Jeeps.

If the junkyard Jeep was an 05+ it would have the flat hood, and some 07 limiteds. The 02-04 Renegade had the same hood.

good to know. :L:so I can skip the junkyard run.  (or at least that particular one)

speaking of $2k, I just found this:  https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/2005-jeep-liberty-28-diesel/6725089281.html

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

I put my change in the driver side door armrest (the little cuppy part).  FYI, when that little spot is full of mixed change (full is when coins start flying out of it when you close the door:roflmao:), you have approximately $11 in change.

nice :D   I use one of the cupholders for my life savings, the door gets my phone. 

yeah, I'll I need is seed money. :D   oh wait, I'm still broke.  :(  I'd be a heck of an investment for the future though.  I'd have every spare part imaginable except the harness. 

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I'm thinking there's probably a reason why it was sitting long enough for squirrels to take an interest.  :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see some good stuff in there!  :L:   I'm hoping to find a day this week to hit the local pull a parts.  we'll see.  I also promised to caulk the exterior of a house and the good weather days might be limited. :( 

see a doc if you have any doubts!  :( 

I stopped by a Pull-a-part today and scored a black KJ grille and a KJ fuel tank skidplate. :D   there was another skid but I was getting tired.  maybe I'll go back later. 

Pete I constantly see loads of kj. in the expensive more chain type yards so I never look knowing the pricing. I need to start keeping an eye out in the honey holes where stuff is cheap. Newer stock is usually not sitting in these places. Many times the leads I find the yards have been permanently closed. Yesterday the 1st two I showed up to were like that. The next 1 was an accidental stumble from a local on the way to another. My best finds are 2 or 3 generation family owned yards not on the web, unlisted, out in bfe.