Rim Question

JeepFanactic

I know this is personal preference but I am looking to put 31's on my 87 MJ SWB with a 3 inch lift.  I have narrowed it down to the following rims: Canyon, Ravine and the 16 x 8 Moabs.  I know the other two are 15 inch rims.  I was just wondering if anyone prefers one type over the other.  I also just like the look of stock rims.  Just looking for feedback.  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Ravines. Especially if the truck is a lighter color. Moabs are too mainstream and Canyons have never done much for me. Turbines look excellent as long as you stick with the old school front end and doors.

N5GcdYBl.jpg

Nice MJ....What size tire are you running?

Prices can be all over the place depending on where you are and supply. If there are a lot of TJ's and/or Jeepers within an hour of you they're probably out there. I've rarely seen the Ravines less than $200 for a set of 4, usually around $350-400 for a super clean set in my neck of the woods. That said, they often have tires on them that may have some life left in them that you could turn around and resell for maybe $100 if they are in good shape and get some money back. Moabs are still commanding $300+ around here, occasionally some Canyons will pop up and they can be had for <$200.......again, where I am. Comes down to what they're worth to YOU. I run Ravines w/31s and about 2.5" of lift. 

I paid 300 for my set of 4. They had fairly decent Michelins on them that I drove for a year and probably still had a few thousand miles left when I bought new tires. They also came with the factory lug nuts and a set of wheel locks that may or may not have been a dealer option. They do seem to be one of the more expensive factory wheels - as far as I know, they were only available for a couple of years and only on the TJ, so there aren't as many sets of them out there.

Naturally, the clear coat on one started peeling about a month after I bought them :brickwall:

It's worth pointing out that JK wheels require adapters to run on stock XJ/MJ axles. Just another thing to factor in if cost is part of the equation. 

I'm also a fan of factory wheels. They fit like they're intended to be there, correct width and offset, clear the brakes... Most of them look alright too. I also find that anything bigger than a 15" wheel doesn't look as good because of the decreased sidewall to wheel ratio... But that's totally subjective. 

image.jpeg.a9f98dad38b947250a6de7917b1d4165.jpeg

I liked these wheels so much on my MJ I put them on my ZJ. Well... something like that. 

10 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

Have you considered JK takeoffs? They are right at 32" and would fit perfectly with 3" lift. Most of them are 17" but can be had in 18" also. I had a set on mine with little to no lift for a long time.

73262d1d0278993708f18745d4be5d2f.jpg

You ran 32s with a 3" lift?  Any trimming required? 

More tire choices with a 16 inch wheel.   With 15" wheels there's a lot more room for rubber. 

I like the OEM wheels too.  Most of the aftermarket stuff is over the top.

I have Ravines on my XJ and Moab 16X8 on the MJ (some say mainstream, some passe on the latter, but I like'em)

IMG_20180630_194827863_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180929_174201657_HDR.jpg

Here ya go ... $91/ea shipped.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEW-15x8-Rim-Fits-Jeep-Wrangler-Hyper-Black-9050/391948625285?epid=1230943663&hash=item5b41f56585:g:fdUAAOSwdU9bqkpP

The seller has them in Chrome too ... under $500 for a set of four including shipping.

The best thing about OEM or reproduction OEM is they bolt right up, the offset is correct for clearances (in most instances) and you don't have to mess with spacers to accommodate the bolt pattern.