DDJeep89

Anyone ever Fly and Drive?

Several years ago I took to flipping XJs for a year, I flipped one a month. 

It's not as easy or lucrative as you might think. 

Sellers do not like to deal with out of the area buyers, you are a hassle to them. 

As a buyer you will know, or should know, a particular deal is yours or its not yours, it either 'feels' right or it doesn't, you'll pass on six for every one you buy. 

I took a ride back to Clearwater with a visiting family member, the only way I was getting back is if I made a purchase. It's stressful, the deals were not there for me, I had limited time and I had to use a borrowed car to look for buys. 

One seller sold out from under me while I was halfway to Atlanta. 

Sellers are not always available when you are in the area. 

32 pics and 6 phone conversations........you travel, only to find out it's POS that you know will not make it home. 

Bought my MJ in Atlanta, tire blew in Murphy NC, I was forced to buy a set of tires from Walmart just to make it home as the remaining three would not make the rest of the trip. 

If you think you're going to fly to LA, uber to the sellers house, plop down a wad of cash and drive home in your dream XJ...........eh........probably not. 

Sounds like you have some money- There are professional hunters who send you a full inspection report and ship one that you accept, maybe that's an option. 

I know you are not flipping Jeeps, just saying I've had plenty enough experience hunting. 

20 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Live there 40 Years first 40 years of my life never saw a car rust because of so-called Ocean Spray it's just total bull$#!& it doesn't happen.

Obviously you've never lived in coastal Maine.

10 hours ago, TheDude said:

I have a 2000 2wd absolutely rust free Cherokee in Pittsburgh PA if you're interested.

I also happen to have everything to make it 4wd if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer Dude. I'm really looking for a 4x4. I'm still working on the MJ so I don't think I could commit to making a conversion for quite a while.

8 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Several years ago I took to flipping XJs for a year, I flipped one a month. 

It's not as easy or lucrative as you might think. 

Sellers do not like to deal with out of the area buyers, you are a hassle to them. 

As a buyer you will know, or should know, a particular deal is yours or its not yours, it either 'feels' right or it doesn't, you'll pass on six for every one you buy. 

I took a ride back to Clearwater with a visiting family member, the only way I was getting back is if I made a purchase. It's stressful, the deals were not there for me, I had limited time and I had to use a borrowed car to look for buys. 

One seller sold out from under me while I was halfway to Atlanta. 

Sellers are not always available when you are in the area. 

32 pics and 6 phone conversations........you travel, only to find out it's POS that you know will not make it home. 

Bought my MJ in Atlanta, tire blew in Murphy NC, I was forced to buy a set of tires from Walmart just to make it home as the remaining three would not make the rest of the trip. 

If you think you're going to fly to LA, uber to the sellers house, plop down a wad of cash and drive home in your dream XJ...........eh........probably not. 

Sounds like you have some money- There are professional hunters who send you a full inspection report and ship one that you accept, maybe that's an option. 

I know you are not flipping Jeeps, just saying I've had plenty enough experience hunting. 

Jeep Driver- I never thought about a professional hunter. Funds are not unlimited but I'm prepared to spend money if the right deal comes along.

21 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

If the buyer wants to drive from Washington State or Arizona he could knock himself out I ain't I ain't flying that far and I ain't driving that far for a $2,000 car

This....   I had no trouble finding over 5 rust free  XJs in Philadelphia area. And I paid $1000 and less for them.....   just be patient and diligent in your searches.  Expect to drive out and look at a few before you actually find it.   I wouldn’t spend $350+ for an air fare and $800 in fuel to buy a $1000-$2000 XJ in addition to the time & distance traveled. 

Makes me think of how I ended up with the mj.  Half asleep bid on eBay and thought I would be outbid lol.  Week later drove to Billings MT to pick up a truck I hadn't seen before wondering WTH I was doing.  Plus side.  ND and MT don't use salt or deicer on the roads so rust is minimal around here.  Can spot a Minnesota vehicle from a mile away though with all the salt and deicer they use.

I've purchased 4 Jeeps remotely in the past 12-15 years.  One on eBay (Indiana), one from a national search on carsforsale.com (PA and it was rust free) and two from Craigslist. Both from the Carolinas.  Transported all but the one from PA because I traded something toward it.  The negotiation process is tedious as most sellers want you to see the vehicle and negotiate in their driveway.  That's reasonable.  However, I have proof it can be done remotely.  Restores my faith in mankind.  Fly and Drive is too costly IMO.  

Florida has salt air and will not out a Jeep quick. The south has tons of rain which rots them out from the inside. They also think they are worth way to much.

I have flown and drove a few times. Utah and Colorado are good for finding nice rigs. The desert will be rust free but the sun bakes the seals, rubber, paint and interiors.

I buy tons of cars and northern AZ and NV along with UT and CO are my go to places. Good luck and if you are a true car lover the trip home after buying makes all worth it.

15 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

What's your budget? Ever thought of having it shipped to you ? I've done this with great success. 

If I find the right one I could spend between 5-8 grand. Since my original post I have looked at some shipping options. I'm thinking if I'm patient enough I'll be able to find one within driving distance. I think I'd probably be willing to drive up to 5-6 hrs.