need a replacement computer... now a question about hdd drivers and Win7

Pete M

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

it does the same thing if I use my hdd adapter cord and plug it into a usb drive. :( 

I think the next step is going to be contacting Toshiba. 

Try going to HPs website, put in the laptop model number, and search for a SATA controller driver for the laptop.  This may allow Windows to recognize the drive properly.   

HDDs themselves don't have a dedicated driver to operate, its actually a driver for the SATA controller that does it even tho almost all manufacturers list it as a separate HDD driver.  I'm wondering if updating your HP SATA controller may cause it to be recognized properly. 

18 hours ago, Pete M said:

assuming I did it right, windows says my sata driver is up to date.  :dunno:   if it matters, I was using my old laptop's hdd in the caddy and it worked (a bit too good).

Don't use windows to update it, use HPs website and download it from there.  I don't think I've ever had windows able to update a driver and always had to pull it from the manufacturer website. 

I cannot access it in any way, not using my computer, nor my father's (also running 7).  assuming I can someday, I intend to format it. 

I have not yet tried installing it as the only hard drive.  I'm just not sure what all that would do. 

My son gets used hand-me-down computers, he takes them apart, swaps parts, gets them running again, as a hobby. I had him read through this and he says without his hands on it.......he doesn't know. 

For me, when one dies as it did a few weeks ago, I just get another new one. My Dell cost me $330 and for what I do with it, it's fine. Forums, parts search, managing images, learning to edit vids, streaming radio and news and vids......etc.

We have a couple of laptops in the house, I'm never the destructive type but I could put bullet holes in those F'ing things. Never understood the attraction. 

I have no idea why you guys are reluctant to use Windows 10, much more intuitive. 

Don't know why your're doing what your're doing............ain't worth the hassle. 

If you go into the bios does it show up?  I imagine it would since you found it recognized in windows but I'm curious if the mobo actually recognizes it as a drive, boot drive, or if it recognizes the full capacity or just a partition. 

If the HP SATA controller drivers don't work, it's possible either the drive is dead or just won't work with windows 7 for some reason. 

10 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I have no idea why you guys are reluctant to use Windows 10,

my feisty, rebellious spirit?  :D 

honestly, this particular Tosh harddrive is the only hiccup and if it never ever works, I'll be fine (used 500gb drives are only ~$20).  oh, that and the capslock button on this keyboard.  for some reason I now hit it a lot. :dunno:  I'll give it another week and if my brain hasn't acclimated to it, I'm just going to rip it off the board.  :type:

well, I already knew I was pushing the limits of my knowledge and have now proved that by somehow disabling my wifi in the bios.  :doh:  I managed to undo the damage but clearly a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. :D 

going to need a bit more step-by-step on using the bios to find the info you desire.  :( 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

clearly a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. :D

I know that feeling well :beerbang:  My Lenovo with Win7 kept trying to update to Win10 and nothing else.  I let it do it once and decided I hated it and used the uninstall function on the install.  It kept trying to install Win10 so I looked up some solution on the interwebs.  It now stops trying to download 10 but it also won't update anything at all and I can't remember what exactly I did.  I then left it unplugged for a few months and now the battery won't charge either.  I could get a new battery but still not sure if I could fix the problem.  Reformatting doesn't seem to be an option and the discs I supposedly have somewhere for taking it back to the original state seem to have gone missing in my recent moves, if I had them at all.  Oy vey, eh?  I'm off to do some electronics repair on my subwoofer.  We'll see if that goes any better :holdwrench: