3" Lift kit w/o Add a leaf

I just went through this, the truck I bought had a cracked rear spring. The only lift I could find with rear springs with was a 4.5" from Rusty's Off Road. I am pretty happy with the lift and the quality. I did have to buy sway bar links and longer brake lines to make it all work. Still happy with the out come. 

15387575862392709169714049692934.jpg

That Rusty's kit is the shortest kit I could find with full springs as well.  I'm totally happy with it tho, really isn't too tall.  I could see it getting out of hand if you put huge tires on it.  Mine has 29" tires but they look small.  With 30" or 31" it would fill the wheel wells out but would raise the truck a little more. 

IMAG0832.jpg

11 hours ago, Chief Falling Rock said:

I'm afraid that's what I am going to run into. I don't really want to lift it that much, but may have to if no one knows of another option. 

Rear: New General Springs metric ton rear springs then when they settle, Teraflex 1" extended rear shackles.

Front : To match the rear, OME 930 coils w. whatever spring pads you might need to equalize. For me a 1/2" stock spring pad was perfect. Plus all your suspension springs F & R are new. Handles/rides great.

Total lift after full settle = ~2.5".

On 10/5/2018 at 11:51 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Rear: New General Springs metric ton rear springs then when they settle, Teraflex 1" extended rear shackles.

Front : To match the rear, OME 930 coils w. whatever spring pads you might need to equalize. For me a 1/2" stock spring pad was perfect. Plus all your suspension springs F & R are new. Handles/rides great.

Thank you Hornbrod! I like the sound of this

18 minutes ago, Chief Falling Rock said:

Thank you Hornbrod! I like the sound of this

It works well and is all quality stuff. Perfect for 31's. Do do the heavy(er) front end suspension component upgrades too, like the ZJ sway bar, WJ control arms, etc.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:51 AM, HOrnbrod said:

Hornbrod

Will this set up give you 3 inches in the rear? Which one do you go with the 5 spring or the 4 spring?  Thanks

I don't know what you are driving. I got 3" out back at first, but like all leaf springs they settle a bit. I lost about 3/4" over a year's time, thus the longer shackles to bring it back up. Plus I have a camper shell on a longbed, so it'll settle a bit more than your average SWB MJ.

Coopers1Small.jpg.13464edee984346a75e6cac4a2051ba8.jpg

1 minute ago, HOrnbrod said:

I don't know what you are driving. I got 3" out back at first, but like all leaf springs they settle a bit. I lost about 3/4" over a year's time, thus the longer shackles to bring it back up. Plus I have a camper shell on a longbed, so it'll settle a bit more than your average SWB MJ.

Coopers1Small.jpg.13464edee984346a75e6cac4a2051ba8.jpg

That's a nice Mj.. How many leaf pack is that?  four or five?   Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 4:30 PM, fiatslug87 said:

Si Mike - those are the Teraflex shackles I'm using.

17 minutes ago, Nodrama43 said:

I bought Hell Creek leaf springs and am using Old man emu front springs with JKS adustable coil spacers to put the front right where I want it after I see what I get in the rear.   

How much lift did you get with the Hell Creek rear leafs? And are your rear wheels still centered in the flare arch? A pic would be nice...

On 10/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, HOrnbrod said:

How much lift did you get with the Hell Creek rear leafs? And are your rear wheels still centered in the flare arch? A pic would be nice...

none of it is installed yet.  The truck is painted, interior is in, the engine is rebuilt sitting on a stand and a bunch of parts piled up ready to go. I will be starting the lift install process very soon.  I will be sure to post up pictures once the lift is on.  I purchased the OME 2.75" lift springs along with JKS ACOS so I can adjust the front lift depending on what the rear leafs give me.   This the same process I used when I put the lift on my 2001 XJ and the ACOS came in very handy when I added the Backbone winch mount and Warn 9000 with synthetic rope.   I used OME for both front and rear with it and I ended up with 3.5" of total lift after everything settled on the XJ. I am not sure what to expect from the Hell Creek spring set but they seem to get great reviews so I ordered them. 

tSBjjdZnSm2BjlbrCNNI5Q.jpg

looks like those were installed backward, or the top leaf was installed the wrong direction.    I will be sure to match them up against the originals when I pull them out.  I have the bed off the truck right now. Once installed If mine look like that Hell Creek will be buying them back. lol

They are not installed backwards.  This is a common concern with the aftermarket springs (general spring metric ton reproductions, hell creek springs ect.) The spring is designed this way to allow for load in the bed which will compress the spring and move the axle rearward, at least thats what I have read.  As an owner of the general spring metric tons I'm not wild about the apperance, but I understand the reasoning behind it.