4th Generation MJ project

1 hour ago, rylee144 said:

So I found this little number on craigslist. They want $200 bucks for it. It says its a 1986 4x4. I need the 4x4 components if they are still good, mine is 2WD. There appears to be some good parts to sell that I do not need. I have already decided to buy it but if anyone has anything that should scare me away please let me know.

00b0b_lt2lNlSMB3k_600x450.jpg

00d0d_5hnrYMMpvgF_600x450.jpg

00S0S_jBxFMYh07Ye_600x450.jpg

You do not want a CAD axle in front.

Check out the rear axle. Since it's an 86 you might get lucky and find an AMC 20. Who knows. For $200 bucks you could still make hay selling the tail lights and camper shell.

the trans won't bolt up, the t-case is the old 207, the front driveshaft is spindly, the rear shaft is too long, the front axle is a CAD and has the small joints.  It might still be worth 200 bucks, but not for a 4x4 conversion into a 4.0 truck. :( 

Well, I bought it. The price was right and it was only an hour away. There are a lot of good parts on the truck. I don't plan on making money just helping out people that need the parts and try to get back to even. I paid 200 and it cost 50 in fuel. I am still getting parts off of it and will add pictures if anyone sees something they need or want. A couple things I am keeping for spares. I got the topper home and started to clean it up. Looks funny on my short bed MJ. I haven't got the hood open yet, the latch is seized up. 

I will be waiting for a different 4x4 in a newer XJ as recommended. Also I don't have the space to have an XJ at the house right now so I'm fine waiting. Sure would be nice if my hunting rig was a 4x4 though. 

20190121_100058.jpg

20190121_100036.jpg

20190121_110248.jpg

20190120_113009.jpg

20190120_113023.jpg

I want to keep my eyes open for the best 4x4 XJ that I can get that would make for the easiest swap. I keep hearing Renix and HO and how certain years XJs make for easier swaps. As my signature lays out and ask if more info is needed to answer the question, I have an 88 pioneer 2wd. It has a 4.0 I6 with a five speed manual transmission. I don't the difference between transmissions and what I should look for.

Thanks for your answers.  

I want to keep my eyes open for the best 4x4 XJ that I can get that would make for the easiest swap. I keep hearing Renix and HO and how certain years XJs make for easier swaps. As my signature lays out and ask if more info is needed to answer the question, I have an 88 pioneer 2wd. It has a 4.0 I6 with a five speed manual transmission. I don't the difference between transmissions and what I should look for.

Thanks for your answers.  

If you plan to keep it manual, then it should be pretty simple. The 94 (maybe) definitely 95-99 Cherokees will have an external slave ax-15 which some argue is better than the nv3550 which was 00-01 Cherokees but the 00-01 had low pinion dana 30s. Both are better than the trans you have in there currently and both are external slave which is much better for if it goes out. 95-96 will have the right style interior to use the shift bezel, but that’s easy enough to get at a junkyard and shouldn’t be a deciding factor. 97+ dana 30s had a bigger u joint in them. I’m not sure how the wiring for the dash lights work for the 4wd indicator. I do know that the plug for an ax-15 and ba-10 are different but was easy to adapt when I did my ba-10 to ax-15 swap. So to summarize, I would look for a 97-99 for a swap best axle/trans combo in a single vehicle. When I swapped stuff around I just stalked craigslist and Facebook market place to find the trans and stuff I needed. Oh and all Cherokee driveshafts will be too short so you will need to get a custom one made or find one from a 4wd Comanche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took some parts off of that 86 MJ and resold it to the pull in save for the same price. Made out pretty well in the end. Still need to sell that canopy and get it off of mine. I had to haul the 86 off early due to a broken pipe in the house. Had a flood so there is no time to get to it and the wifey didn't like seeing it. There was a lot left to remove that I wanted but oh well.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, rylee144 said:

I took some parts off of that 86 MJ and resold it to the pull in save for the same price. Made out pretty well in the end. Still need to sell that canopy and get it off of mine. I had to haul the 86 off early due to a broken pipe in the house. Had a flood so there is no time to get to it and the wifey didn't like seeing it. There was a lot left to remove that I wanted but oh well.

Hey sent you a PM, I'm interested in the canopy. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the battery cable and mounted the headlight wire harness. I sold the 86 MJ to the pull in save yard for what I paid for it, $200 after removing some parts. I removed the drip rails, vent covers, e brake handle and cable, canopy, taillights and tailgate. The tail gate is bent and rusted through but I might find a project for it. I sold the drips rails and have the other stuff posted. My house flooded so I wasn't able to remove the other MJ specific parts I wanted to before it was re sold. In all it was a success  buying the 86. I have some parts to sell and when they do I will be buying the Raybuck seat cover kit to redo my bench seat, its $220. Then ill buy the parts to give my 88 a 3" lift.  More to come after the work is done on the house. 

I was missing my shifter console so I purchased one not knowing there were a couple sizes of the mini. I had the shifter boot still. When the new console arrived I noticed the boot didn't fit right. 

Do I have an XJ console and an MJ boot? Either way does anyone know which boot I need to buy to make it fit right?

20190216_191457.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new windshield installed. No rust around the glass so i was very pleased. I decided to go with the rubber gasket instead of the metal trim. I'll be selling the old trim if anyone is in need, it's black. 

20190322_122558.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:20 AM, rylee144 said:

Got the new windshield installed. No rust around the glass so i was very pleased. I decided to go with the rubber gasket instead of the metal trim. I'll be selling the old trim if anyone is in need, it's black. 

20190322_122558.jpg

I need to do this to my 86 windshield too, along with the doors and rear slider.

So what year windshield/rubber gasket did you ask for and I assume it was for a Cherokee later model?

• 2 weeks later...