92 swb 2wd auto trans issue

I was on my way to get gas and start work this morning and had a sudden issue. While putting the truck into reverse had a loud clunk and truck started hopping acting like a u joint almost. I fueled up and preceded to limp home after crawling under to see the joints were good. Then I quickly noticed the familiar ticking that sounded like loose flex plate bolts. It would increase in speed as I would. Stop as I apply brake. I made it home and checked. To my surprise they were all there and tight. Appon inspection though I found a dent in the flexplate and obvious signs of were on the upper housing plate where it looked almost worn through but none on the lower removable plate. I'm boggled. Its almost like something suddenly wedged in there and stuck while hitting reverse or mabe the p.o. had dropped a bolt prior and my luck ran out. It sounds horrible and the flexplate is obviously damaged. Any ideas on this?

This is an AW4?

There is a known issue with the AW4 flexplate developing an annular crack around the perimeter of the reinforcing ring at the flywheel bolt circle. A ticking or knocking that sounds a bit like a rod bearing is the characteristic symptom. The test I have used is to start the truck in neutral. If the noise is there is neutral, put your foot on the brake and shift into gear. If the noise stops when in gear (but not moving, brakes on), it's probably a flexplate issue.

I guess I'm gonna start pulling this rusty turd apart I'm livid. I have another 2wd transmission thats good in my 88 renix but will obviously need at least a flexplate after I pull that 1 too from a storage unit this weekend. What else will I need to make it work? I feal like this is a waste of time but its my daily and need it ASAP. I have plenty of parts to convert to 4wd but not the time now. All and any input is appreciated as always.

2 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

Ahh just got your response. Thanks. No noise at all until I'm moving under load.

I have the same ticking noise moving under load, not sure whats causing mine yet, nothings exploded yet either.

Havent put the time aside to tare into it because its my daily too lol.

only hops on me a little in first gear if i don't put enough gas on her.

I do not see any cracks, I have it jacked up with good light, and rotated it full circle twice and all I noticed is a dent and its in 1 of the factory preformed holes near the outer ring about an inch from the teeth.  Its located about halfway between bolts.

Reverse hops and sounds scary, otherwise lots of chatter like a loose bolt. I actually checked them all twice to spec since I luckily have room high by the exhaust bend.

I just don't understand how a dent got there in the plate itself. I mean it looks like it was wacked with a ballpeen hammer and you can see fresh scratches on the surface of the demted spot of the plate. The dent does not push towards block but in towards transmission so what is even more strange the flex plate bolts are not hitting anywhere to cause the usual ticking/knocking on the cover plates.

The grove in the upper plate does not line up with the dent on the flexplate or any where near the bolt heads but about 2 inches from the main seal on driver side. I really wonder if a bolt was stuck sitting in there from someone, gave put finally and dropped just at the right time.

11 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I just don't understand how a dent got there in the plate itself. I mean it looks like it was wacked with a ballpeen hammer and you can see fresh scratches on the surface of the demted spot of the plate. The dent does not push towards block but in towards transmission so what is even more strange the flex plate bolts are not hitting anywhere to cause the usual ticking/knocking on the cover plates.

this will sound odd, but to me it sounds like the cam shot into the flex.. lol

possible or likely, probably not.

Well , the spacing between the main and trans didn't look right now that you mention it.  The metal is pushed inward toward the transmission on the upper plate which is even more odd around the main. I have no loss of power, oil level checks out fine with no major leaks. You think a bearing just crapped out and I just got lucky limping home without oil spewing yet? I'm kinda wondering. I'm gonna try to get a pic. I already bent most of the upper cover forward toward block as much as I could so it may be a bit missleading from how bad it was prior to getting home.

oooh gawwd! I didn't notice it cause it was soo bad. No pic required! It never fails to amaze me these 4.0s don't quit! That sucker blew out completely, if it was a snake Id a been bit. Its pushed out an inch and half and no wonder why there is no more slop in the worn transmission mount. Duhh. I don't understand how I have oil? There is just a little leak as normal and level is still good I checked it again. So now what?

1 minute ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

Sure did with a vengeance! How do I still have oil?

mines been running with the same tic, ill have to try to poke my head under there later.

I imagine if you have oil pressure that means any real bad "leaks" won't happen because its plugged them up.

the oil pressure for me idle is around 30-35 while shes warmed up. cold idle, she sits near 65-70 psi.

warmed up, 30-35 idle, 60 on load.

Oddly enough I only suggested that as a possibility because Ive seen the Freeze plugs that hold the cam shaft in on the Dodge ram 5.9 TDI's get "Lost" and leak. so I thought because of the dent you described, for some reason she shot azz backards?

I just don't see how it would though .... ?

Yeah that is from pan side up with the lower plate removed. The other 4.0 I lost was about 2 years ago to the date on my 88 which I knew it had a bad rear main from day 1. I put over 10,000 on it just adding oil until it blew out the seal on a back road in a flash. I must have put 14 quarts in it in 5 miles to get home. It sound like a helicopter going down. The crank dropped about a half mile from the house and I kept driving her home. The pan had holes in it every where like a grenade blew up in there but it kept going.

I lost 0 power gettn this pack from the station this morning. I drove about 5 miles back like this. I gotta wonder if this was the weird death wobble I started getting from the rear forward about a hundred miles ago. I never have had death wobble come from the back to the front. I was thinking it was a combination of worn leaf bushings, bad transmission mount and rear axle shaft bearing but have been putting it off from being too busy with work. I'm so screwed! I guess I might just start on getting my 88 back together and hopefully I'm not waisting my time but there are soo many rusty mjs here I have to finish cutting 1 up and the 88 thats here so I have a spot to mess with this.

24 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I never have had death wobble come from the back to the front. 

Ive only had wobble from the rear once, it was a 90' dakota with WAY too much in the bed for a construction job, tried to push 50 with it on the interstate, started to sway azz end and I slow down quick.

Not today Satan  :cool: