gogmorgo

The Littlest Comanche

Looks good! Glad you got it on the road.   I finally started working on mine getting it on the road and mine is in similar shape as well.  Glad it made it to work and is dependable for a $700 truck.

On February 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM, Lthompson741 said:

Looks good! Glad you got it on the road.   I finally started working on mine getting it on the road and mine is in similar shape as well.  Glad it made it to work and is dependable for a $700 truck.

It's very much not a $700 truck anymore. Haha. I pretty much doubled that just getting it home, and then changing out the cooling system. And that was before the engine came out...

For context, work is less than a mile away. It's not much of an accomplishment to make it there and back, but really not good if you can't. 

I was planning on swapping on the winter tires today and hitting the highway for the first long (ish) trip, about 100 miles, but my roommate's fancy 2014 Juke bricked itself in the driveway in the cold and is now blocking it it. Stupid modern cars that don't completely turn off when you switch them off and drain the battery...

On 2/8/2019 at 12:14 PM, gogmorgo said:

It's very much not a $700 truck anymore. Haha. I pretty much doubled that just getting it home, and then changing out the cooling system. And that was before the engine came out...

For context, work is less than a mile away. It's not much of an accomplishment to make it there and back, but really not good if you can't. 

I was planning on swapping on the winter tires today and hitting the highway for the first long (ish) trip, about 100 miles, but my roommate's fancy 2014 Juke bricked itself in the driveway in the cold and is now blocking it it. Stupid modern cars that don't completely turn off when you switch them off and drain the battery...

Yeah I under stand about the price doubling.  My $500 MJ is almost 1K now and I just took it for it’s maden voyage this past weekend.  Still needs brakes and a windshield to be driven far.    That doesn’t even include the appearance (it’s a rot box).

My daily a 2012 F250 bricked it’s self the other day during our “Polar Vortex” and not having another car in the household kind of sped up getting this thing running as a back up.

Our of curiosity the other day I fired up the MJ mostly just to see if it would start. After a week or so of temperatures dropping to -40 overnight, at -15°F, it cranked over kinda slow but still fired up. The Juke is still a brick tho...

Well the Juke has been un-bricked and I had a chance to move the MJ out of the driveway so I could clear the snow so I could put the MJ back in the driveway and have a small tire changing party.

GTxMuXF.jpg

The are the factory wheels that came on the base model ZJ. I think they look better on the MJ.

Because my other MJ is parked I'd pulled the non-winter tires off of it and stuck them on the ZJ, because these wheels have winters on them, and I didn't want to burn them off in the summer... plus they looked ridiculous being only a 215/75r15 with a 2" lift. A couple weeks ago when I put 31's on the ZJ, I stuck them on the little MJ's factory wheels that had come loose along with it. So now the aftermarket wheels whatever they were are piled in the garage, the bigger MJ is back on its own wheels and tires, and the ZJ and little MJ have swapped wheels. But both my drivers have snow-peak-rated tires now which is great, because I live here:

65AVYLm.jpg

Where there are peaks. And snow.

jnwNl0S.jpg

And when I say that, what I mean is the last month I think that it did not snow at least one day here was July 2017. Traction is underrated. I definitely like the look of the Jeep steelies a ton better than those silly alloys that stuck out too far. It rides better too now.

I didn't mention it, but the brakes did only need bled. After a bit of use they've stopped making noises as well. I did check them while the wheels were off, and everything checks out, so I'm thinking the noise was just a bit of rust on the rotors from sitting. 

Today was also the first good run on the highway. I put more miles on it today than the whole time I've owned it, haha. It did pretty darn good for itself, although the heater did seem to be fading at speed. I'm thinking vacuum leak, although it still has the heater valve, so I might bypass that and see what gives. The vent selection and blend door seemed to be working fine. The heat's hot sitting idling though, and it didn't have problems warming up when it was -30 out, so I'm thinking the new thermostat is fine, it's just seeing reduced flow at reduced vacuum due to increased engine speed. 

Good to hear you got the brick moved so the Comanche could be free. That is some beautiful scenery in your pictures!