project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)

upgrade time!  slightly better shocks, slightly better (and bigger!) tires, an actual dedicated spare tire, slightly better wheels, and a slightly less better rear bumper (this one is a bit messed up and has bedliner all over it so I removed my perfect one for use on the new 88's restoration).

20190703_181912.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, how much weight on that trailer? Idk about ur Michigan DMV rule on homemade trailer as i know my state DMV rule i have to take it scale to weight out and do some paper work before i could get homemade trailer title. Just wonder. 

It was originally built and titled in colorado (by a previous owner) and I can only say that it falls in the "weight/fee category" of 500#.  I've got no idea if that means it weighs as much or is "rated" to carry that much.  :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the other day I went back to the junkyard and grabbed the 3" lift leafs from that XJ.  not the whole packs, just the Super lift leafs.  today I spent waaaay too much time outside sweating and didn't even get one side finished.  :mad:  hopefully tomorrow I can wrap it up and see where it sits.  the hope is for about the same height but with an overall stiffer pack. 

other items on the to-do list:

-remove all the random brake lines

-install some turbine rims

-replace the rusted spare tire carrier with a functional one

-I'd love to rewire it up with a 7-wire loom so I can power for in-bed lights

• 2 weeks later...

some days my genius knows no limits. :laugh:   so I've been fighting with my bent tailgate on my bent bed for years now (push in with your body weight and yank hard on the handle at just the right time) and today it finally dawned on me I can just nip off the end of the latches.  now it's a one-handed operation.  :banana:

20200804_120835.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I just drool over that rear bumper every time I see it. Good luck finding one of those in that kind of shape around me.

southern junkyards are pretty cool.  I just wish that I was junkyarding down here like 15 years ago.  lord only know how many nice parts were just thrown away. :sad:

• Pete M changed the title to project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)
  • 1 month later...