project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dana 35, but I can't know for sure if it's original.  :dunno:   Heck, I had to supply the leaf springs when I picked it up.  

I was thinking of upgrading to a dana 44... you know... for strength purposes. :D  

just crawled underneath and there's no tag on the diff.  :(  open to any more ideas for identifying age on the half-a-jeep.

by the way  HAFAJEEP was going to be my licence plate if I registered it in georgia. :D  Michigan doesn't allow personalized plates for trailers, but they do offer forever plates and free-for-the-rest-of-its-life was too good to pass up, so I went with that.  

• 5 weeks later...

guess what was half-off at Lowes  :D   I kinda wanted something in black, but couldn't find what I wanted in the used market in the last month.  I guess a little bling can't hurt. :cool:  Not sure what to do about my Comanche emblems though, as you can't really see them on the new shiny-ness. :dunno:

20180926_185734.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

found some time to drill new holes and get the new hotness mounted up.  and then proceeded to wrench my back pretty good because I tried to push it back into it's spot by myself because I'm an idiot.  :doh:

I'm still not keen on the bling-factor, but the usuable space inside is just plain awesome!  I can fit a milk crate or rubbermaid tote inside with ease. :banana:  that means I can get organized and also separate the heavy items from the fragile ones. 

20181015_182046.jpg

• 6 months later...

you'll love it   :L:  

in a week or so we're going to really test it's hauling capabilities.  one way or another I need to move the rest of my Jeep parts from MI to GA so we'll see what it can do.

I'm hoping to get everything except the 3 engine blocks, hoist, and the aw4 (basically the really heavy things).  that might be optimistic though since I more or less have filled an 8x10 shed and I'm not done stripping the XJ yet.  :laugh: 

Is the XJ pre-96? I was just telling someone that I used to find 4 to 5 older XJs in the junkyard all the time. Now just nothing but 98 and newer. Now that I am building mine it is no fun trying to get replacement parts - like a working clock hint hint

it's exactly-96.  with a bit more rust than I remember.  I'm not sure if the front fascia is usable.  all the little screws snapped off in the fiberglass. :brickwall:

doesn't have a dash clock though.  :dunno:  just a blank panel.

• 1 month later...
  • Pete M changed the title to project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)