project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)

My longbed MJ trailer  :comanche:

Here she is the day I got her.  The bumper is  pretzel, the tailights are cracked, the tailgate only opens with a screwdriver, the hitch is of the pintle variety, there are 3 coats of flaking paint and I had to supply my own leaf springs, but the price was right (free!) :D   Title said she was built in colorado and I got her from a friend in georgia, but she isn't rust free so I don't know the rest of the story.  Not even sure what year truck was cut up.  :dunno:  (edit: the dates on the plastic bumper caps are 87, if they are original tot he truck)

more or less it's an MJ sliced in half and a frame welded up front to make it a trailer.

10402860_976320292383389_2679803315579547657_n.jpg

10665205_976780305670721_1239529033038242024_n.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: does that bedliner lift up at highway speed? I have that exact Duraliner bedliner, and I've never managed to get it to actually stay down on the bed above 55 or so. My '89 actually has the paint scraped off from a couple of spots because of abrasion from it.

not only does it not stay down, I actually lost it on the freeway on the way to pick up those tires.  :doh:  (obviously I was able to recover it, but I never did find the spare tire).  If the trailer was empty while driving I put the spare tire in the bed near the front.  and this had worked great for driving around town (max 55mph), but apparently on the long freeway drive the tire had shifted to the back and that was all it took to let air pressure suck it right out. :(  whoosh!  took the tire with it and flung both off to the side of the road (thankfully).  Lesson learned :dunce:  I'm still not certain how I want to secure it, but I threw a couple clamps in the bedbox until I do.  

and so here we are today.  in the process of stripping it down for paint and some "shiny new" parts. :D  I'd like to have it ship-shape for the PowWow on the 25th.  If I can't bring a whole MJ, I can at least bring half of one.  :comanche:

20180815_194942.jpg

best laid plans...

so the power washer was doing a fantastic job of removing the loose paint and then the head split and now it just dribbles water. :fistshake1:  so I'm off to the store for a wire wheel I guess... :(  

also, the hunter green I wanted to use clashes horribly with the Liberty's even darker green.  :doh: 

soooo... I'm thinking a dark brown maybe?  :dunno:

My bed liner has double-sided tape under the rail caps, but also self-tappers into the side of the rails, and a strip of small angle iron bolted down along the bottom edge at the  back, where it meets the tailgate. It's the way it came, and it holds down great up to 115mph. 

oh my, what did I get myself into...  :sad:

turns out some of the red and green paints come right off with the electric power washer... but not all of it.  :doh: so now I have to break out the sander and it'll need a coat of primer.  I hate body work.  and not just that, body work on a pile-of-crap dented and rusted body that will never be perfect.  there's no way I'm fixing all the problems, so now I get to spend the next few days feeling like I'm halfassing it (even though this level of effort is way more than it deserves).  sigh.  

hooray for hobbies?  :D  

20180818_125904.jpg

20180818_125851.jpg

no pics at the moment, but the sanding is done and she's coated in gray.  :banana:

still struggling with choosing a final color  :dunno: 

also contemplating making the lower 3rd will be black.  just too much damage for a color so I figure black will hide some of it.

a sneak peak of the paint.  it's a satin "almond" or some such thing.  I wanted a tan, it seems more cream under the florescent lights, but whatever.  whatever it is is what it's going to be for this weekend at the PowWow.  I'm going to give it another day in the barn before I drag it out into the sunlight.  It's just to dang humid outside. :(  at least the barn has a de-humidifier running. :D   then I'll touch up the black areas and start installing the rest of the bits.  

20180820_143042.jpg

20180820_143058.jpg

20180820_143105.jpg

made some tiedown points. :D  there's a big washer under the bedliner and I opened up the hole in the plastic for the nut.  now the liner can move a bit and not buckle in the sun, but it is securely attached and won't blow away (again).

20180822_184541.jpg

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

Looks great Pete. See THIS ad in the classifieds.   :brows:

:roflmao:

oh I promise, you don't want this particular trailer.    the internal bedside rust is rampant and has just started popping pinholes under the flares.  :(  she's lead a hard life.

but I just remembered that I wanted to pull a build date off one of the mangled rear bumper's endcaps.  I'll put that on my list for tomorrow.  

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

oh I promise, you don't want this particular trailer.  :roflmao:  the internal bedside rust is rampant and has just started popping pinholes under the flares.  :(  she's lead a hard life.

Okay - I'll take your word for it Pete.    :L:

• Pete M changed the title to project: half-a-Jeep, the MJ trailer (now with Rubi rims)