92 Autocross/Lowered MJ

5 hours ago, onebigmj said:

Really jealous of the front bumper. How harsh is the ride with those springs? 

It's not bad at all.  If the road isn't in good shape it bounces around a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got the airdam installed.  I drilled holes in the bumper and put in rivnuts so it's easyish to get on or off.  Looks much better in person, pictures don't do it justice.

IMG_20200523_114655.jpg.256360534b20888b8c3b7a99282b5b55.jpg

I ended up shaving the license plate bracket down as much as possible and sandwiching it between the airdam and bumper.  I played around with positioning of it and for some reason I kind of like it offset, makes it look a little cleaner I think, but I opted to leave it centered for now.

IMG_20200523_101535.jpg.7bfa7b293015e7b30445d1d1b9b23c97.jpg

I also talked to my brother-in-law today and we may be going in together on a paint sprayer setup to paint a 1944 Farmall M that we have been rebuilding which means the truck may get painted sooner than later!  I've also started to look at wiring for the FIC6.  Hopefully major progress can be made on it this summer, especially if the government decides to give us more money.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

all the cool kids are offsetting them :D 

That's partially why I didn't leave it offset.  I'm not that kinda "cool".  I like to outrun that kind of "cool" off a stoplight with a 30 year old truck.  

On 5/23/2020 at 10:59 PM, Dzimm said:

That's partially why I didn't leave it offset.  I'm not that kinda "cool".  I like to outrun that kind of "cool" off a stoplight with a 30 year old truck.  

My kinda guy haha.  Truck looks really good man, great work so far.  What bumpstops did you use for the front?  The P.O. that put mine in work fine, but they're super harsh over bumps

2 hours ago, CaptainPatchy said:

My kinda guy haha.  Truck looks really good man, great work so far.  What bumpstops did you use for the front?  The P.O. that put mine in work fine, but they're super harsh over bumps

They are just stock Omix Ada ones.  They are within a half inch of touching the pad so it bottoms out but they are super squishy so it cushions it quite well and since they are so close to touching, it's not a sudden jolt either.

Once I figure out what to do with the steering stabilizer and trackbar to get them away from the oil pan, I will adjust it so it has more travel up front.

15 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Once I figure out what to do with the steering stabilizer and trackbar to get them away from the oil pan, I will adjust it so it has more travel up front.

That's kind of my pickle at the moment as well, I've seen other guys do custom trackbars and/or replace the pitman arms to get something more level

1 minute ago, CaptainPatchy said:

That's kind of my pickle at the moment as well, I've seen other guys do custom trackbars and/or replace the pitman arms to get something more level

Yeah I've been seeing the same.  I will probably be going with a custom trackbar as well but I've been having issue with figuring out where to go with the steering stabilizer without fabricating a crazy mount or making it too close to the ground.

1 minute ago, Dzimm said:

Yeah I've been seeing the same.  I will probably be going with a custom trackbar as well but I've been having issue with figuring out where to go with the steering stabilizer without fabricating a crazy mount or making it too close to the ground.

FWIW my comanche doesn't have a steering stabilizer mounted at the moment, and I've not noticed any weird driving issues.  "They SAY" you don't need one, but until I bought this Jeep I'd never really given it much thought, however the PO assured me that everything had been recently (>1000mi) replaced and I've had it up to 70mph without a hiccup so I don't think I'm going to get in a hurry to put one back on.

Personally I haven’t had a steering stabilizer on my lofted Cherokee in 4 or 5 years and the steering stabilizer in my Comanche the shaft is rusted and I’d guarantee everything has leaked out and it doesn’t actually do anything. I’d just do a custom trackbar and ditch the steering stabilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The steering stabilizer reduces bump steer.  For normal driving conditions I would consider removing it but this truck is being built to race with so bump steer could be a major problem.  I believe there may be a requirement for one in some classes as well, have to check the rules on that.

I auto crossed my Comanche with a blown stabilizer. If you’re really set on keeping one I’d weld some tabs onto the beam axle and mount it under the drag link. In my opinion a tight quicker ratio steering box would make a lot more difference than a good steering stabilizer for autocross oh and a smaller steering wheel. I found my self really struggling to keep up just spinning the wheel back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Dzimm changed the title to 92 Autocross/Lowered MJ
  • 1 year later...
On 4/17/2020 at 10:50 PM, Dzimm said:

Got the new bump stops put in up front.  They sit about 3/4" from the spring pads but they are so soft that when it does bottom out you can't tell because its so soft.  

IMG_20200417_162631.jpg.a7b4ab2f60cdd967fa7dfc0ac82afad0.jpg

Do you happen to have a part number for the bump stops? I know, older thread. But I'm looking to lower my 2WD MJ and am researching parts now.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, 91Pioneer said:

Do you happen to have a part number for the bump stops? I know, older thread. But I'm looking to lower my 2WD MJ and am researching parts now.

I don't have a part number for these specifically.  I think I got them from Rock Auto but almost all major retailers carry them but you'll have to order online.  Its the same bump for all 84-01 XJs and MJs.  You can cut it down as needed to adjust the height.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:05 AM, Dzimm said:

I don't have a part number for these specifically.  I think I got them from Rock Auto but almost all major retailers carry them but you'll have to order online.  Its the same bump for all 84-01 XJs and MJs.  You can cut it down as needed to adjust the height.

So.... it sounds like I can just cut down the existing factory bump stops??