92 Autocross/Lowered MJ

I have finally collected all the pieces I need to rebuild the leaf springs.  I've got new XJ shackles, new bushings, new friction pads, new center bolts, new ubolts, and I'll be attempting to reuse the MJ spring clamps.  If that fails I will make some because replacements are stupid expensive for what they are.

IMG_20191220_163557.jpg.b12840ceeab1e17a9b192cce45dad34c.jpg

Today I cleaned up the XJ leaves I'll be using, wire wheeled all the rust and dirt off and wiped them down with some mineral spirits.  

IMG_20191220_161551.jpg.763a9e4dc50f6cfb0aaef4f4242e93df.jpg

My plan is to swap the 2nd and 3rd leaves out of the MJ pack with these and I'll see where that gets me.  These are in the house now to come up to temperature so I can eventually get them painted.  I'm not sure yet when I will pull the packs out of the truck but hopefully it will be soon.  As soon as I get the packs built and installed I will also throw on the new coils to get it nice and low.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have finally collected all the pieces I need to rebuild the leaf springs.  I've got new XJ shackles, new bushings, new friction pads, new center bolts, new ubolts, and I'll be attempting to reuse the MJ spring clamps.  If that fails I will make some because replacements are stupid expensive for what they are.
IMG_20191220_163557.jpg.b12840ceeab1e17a9b192cce45dad34c.jpg

Today I cleaned up the XJ leaves I'll be using, wire wheeled all the rust and dirt off and wiped them down with some mineral spirits.  
IMG_20191220_161551.jpg.763a9e4dc50f6cfb0aaef4f4242e93df.jpg

My plan is to swap the 2nd and 3rd leaves out of the MJ pack with these and I'll see where that gets me.  These are in the house now to come up to temperature so I can eventually get them painted.  I'm not sure yet when I will pull the packs out of the truck but hopefully it will be soon.  As soon as I get the packs built and installed I will also throw on the new coils to get it nice and low.

Got some part numbers on those? I definitely need to rebuild my springs sometime, but I’ve been super lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which parts?

I see the dorman part number which appears to be the isolators, but unless I missed it somewhere else do you happen to know the bushing, center pins and if you got the shackles new where you got those. I’ve fought with all the stupid bushings trying to find numbers and all for my Cherokee when I went at it with that. Since that experience I haven’t wanted to do the Comanche ones.

24 minutes ago, SatiricalHen said:

I see the dorman part number which appears to be the isolators, but unless I missed it somewhere else do you happen to know the bushing, center pins and if you got the shackles new where you got those. I’ve fought with all the stupid bushings trying to find numbers and all for my Cherokee when I went at it with that. Since that experience I haven’t wanted to do the Comanche ones.

These part numbers are for my application so ymmv if installing on a stock truck.  For instance I bought the isolators based on the XJ leaves, I can't be positive at this point that they mount the same way on the MJ but I'd imagine they do.

Amazon:

Isolators (Dorman): 924-070

Center pins (Rancho): RS8128

Napa:

XJ Shackle kit (Napa): 650-4157 each kit comes with bolts, one shackle with preinstalled bushing, and the bushing for the small end of the leaf spring (I'm assuming the bushing is the same as on the MJ).

RockAuto:

Large leaf spring bushing (Moog): MOG SB371 (this is specified as fitting the MJ, probably fits the XJ as well)

• 1 month later...

One step closer!  Got a great deal on an AEM FIC 6 with the pigtails from Alexia.  It will sit on a shelf for a while but will eventually go in the truck.  

IMG_20200130_183859.jpg.bef5cf3686672c4cdf56be10c3d4950a.jpg

Every day I'm debating with myself if it's time to pull the trigger on the rear axle, wheels, and tires.  I'm hoping I'll come across a better deal on the axle and wheels but I need to buy them soon so I can have them in for spring.

50 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

An 8.25 from a Libby.  Going to disks and 3.73 gears.  

I know of an auto recycler up here in a Holmen, WI (just north of La Crosse on the Mississippi) that could get you one for about $100. 

3 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I know of an auto recycler up here in a Holmen, WI (just north of La Crosse on the Mississippi) that could get you one for about $100. 

That's a lot better than around here.  I've potentially found one for $150 in a localish yard but I have to go out there to confirm it because they won't, nor do I trust them to give me the correct info, and I've got to pull it myself.  For $250 I could go pick one up an hour away and they'd have it pulled for me.

I am possibly going to Middleton, WI on the 14th but won't have extra room for an axle unfortunately. 

• 3 weeks later...
not a super great price, but not horrible either.  :L:  make sure it's got the calipers on it!  I remember they had a crazy core charge.

Yeah it was cheaper to buy the calipers from the junkyard and use them as cores than to just pay the core charge when I did my swap.

The guy said it will have most or all the brake parts on it still, they are pretty good about giving the correct info at this yard but we'll see.  

I plan on replacing all the brake parts including the calipers, as well as resealing it before install.  Rock Auto has a kit with pads, rotors, and calipers for $130 with no core charge so I'll probably go with that.  I'll probably start tearing the axle down right away but not sure how soon I'll get all the parts ordered for it.  I'd like to have it in the truck by March but we'll see.  I also plan on lowering it while it's apart so it will be a long process.

Got the axle and wheels!  They left everything on the axle, which made it extremely heavy so I'll be glad when all that's taken off.  

I did a rough measurement and it appears the Libby axle is roughly about 3" wider, which is fine because it will bring the wheel base out some.  The Libby axle is much beefier in the diff area than the XJ version for sure.  Curious if there are any internal differences.  

The wheels are in good shape, someone sprayed them with black paint and it must have protected them because there is no rust on them to speak of.  

Can't wait to get started on this again.

IMG_20200221_161655.jpg

IMG_20200221_161659.jpg

Got further on the axle than I thought I would today.  It's completely torn down aside from the carrier and pinion and I got all the brackets cut off.  

All extra stuff off

IMG_20200223_102410.jpg.674ea6a66f594dfaaba74e30891662c7.jpg

The extras that came with it.  For sale if anyone sees something they need, from an 03 Liberty.

IMG_20200223_102416.jpg.d758f139b8c07c259bda4ecfd57b0713.jpg

Pulled the brake stuff off, shafts out and seals out.

IMG_20200223_115341.jpg.5072598cb84b292c3848fb3b782ff5ca.jpg

Brackets cut off and currently sits ready for cleanup!

IMG_20200223_125916.jpg.92827be0b4289ef98b8cb76e1bb9c2b0.jpg

Luckily the temperature was in the 50s today and I got to spend the majority of the day in the shop!!

Ground the axle almost entirely to bare metal and all the rust is removed aside from the surface rust in the crevices I just can't get to.

IMG_20200229_141234.jpg.448387f67f4f109f3d9b1af518a99257.jpg

I am using better paint for this truck and used Napa industrial/automotive primer and Krylon Industrial Rust Tough paint.  I used the rust tough on my XJ wheels and it held up to the road salt all winter and is holding up much better than any spray paint I've used.  It's a little pricy at $9 a can though.

I did two coats of primer, a coat of flat black paint, then a coat of black semi gloss.  I think I like the look of the flat black better so I'm going to get some flat clear coat to go over everything to further protect it as well as knock the shine back down some.

IMG_20200229_164353.jpg.42c3f49c7e9976b29025569bd5e4e5e7.jpg

The backing plates and caliper mounting brackets are being reused (everything else is getting replaced) so I used my wire wheel on them to get all the loose stuff off and am doing a few hours of electrolysis on them.  I'm currently on the last caliper bracket.  They are going to soak in soapy water overnight and I'll see what they look like in the morning.  They may need a couple more hours in the electrolysis bath.

IMG_20200229_141205.jpg.94a618e6a80f43d62e60faadc3d78e84.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the backing plates, caliper brackets, and wheels cleaned up and painted.  

Wheels stripped down

IMG_20200301_140335.jpg.2feb353fb117f5a600027519dced35ec.jpg

Leaf springs prepped for paint

IMG_20200301_140345.jpg.a79547b7b0d652e1a5682f7f0fa64c49.jpg

The wheels, leaves, backing plates, caliper brackets, and a few small pieces currently sit in primer.  I've still got the brake line brackets and bolts in the electrolysis bath for another couple hours and they should be good for paint.  

IMG_20200301_142250.jpg.e68990aacef2916a200c21104d0dff30.jpg

I really like this satin light gray on these wheels for some reason.

I sent the backing plates and caliper brackets through electrolysis again to get the last bits of rust off so I didn't get quite as far as I'd hoped today.  I am now very much in the camp of electrolysis though, the parking brake levers were seized up and after sitting in the bath for a while they came out clean and moving freely.  Took them apart and finished cleaning to bare metal and they are like brand new.  It's fantastic and only costs a few bucks for washing soda or baking soda and a few hours time.

Ordered the tires!  They should be here Friday.  

Screenshot_20200301-201532.png.d3a3b9490dcea93b36172ae782c44473.png

I wanted to go with Goodyear to stay true to the Archer trucks but they didn't have many options in this size and the reviews were subpar.  BFG offered more options and they are a better tire from what I've read.  I went with all seasons over summer tires because I will still drive this truck regularly enough that it will see some colder weather.  From my research, these are pretty dang good tires for the money and should provide ample grip for this truck.

42 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Do you know what you are going to run for your turbo yet? 

Probably gonna go with an eBay special since it seems they aren't complete trash anymore and are a low enough price my wife won't hate me quite as much.  When the time comes to buy it, maybe I'll decide to go with a better turbo.  

I'll have to look at my notes to confirm but from memory it will be a T3/T4 .48 A/R 50trim.  I read up on what guys have used on 4.0L and what they got from it.  From that I got this to be the best option for relatively low RPM spool ~1500-2000 rpm iirc and pretty decent performance boost overall.  can't really find any solid Dyno numbers or really much of any solid info on a turbo 4.0L because nobody does it so I think I'll be piecing together information and figuring it out mostly on my own.

This all depends on what the truck does after the axle and tire swap.  I may change my mind on what I go with after I get an idea of what it drives like.

• Dzimm changed the title to 92 Autocross/Lowered MJ