Dzimm

92 Turbo, Autocross MJ

More cleaning and some painting today.  Intake manifold is stripped and cleaned.  I installed some heat reflective tape to the bottom of the manifold to help reflect some of the heat from the exhaust manifold.  I only did a little right where the manifolds are closest to keep good airflow under the intake manifold.  

IMG_20190310_200419.jpg.313871a4071c78ac2659883449fe4ed5.jpg

Got a couple coats of paint on the steel alternator bracket and the water pump tube.

IMG_20190310_201822.jpg.51f2e38718904932c5700e6f9839f1ff.jpg

I pulled the oil filter adapter off to clean and replace the o-rings and they definitely needed it.  Completely hard and one broke on removal.

IMG_20190310_142623.jpg.0bd1f2909470b53c6301cd3729aed35e.jpg

I finished cleaning the inner fender area on the driver's side and got some paint laid down.  After some clear coat, it looks super good.  The paint isn't a perfect match but it's pretty close. 

IMG_20190310_160827.jpg.b344948ee3168f1859d0312c9198178a.jpg

IMG_20190310_180344.jpg.8d1a486de242035d8fe67afce3052d26.jpg

The new exhaust manifold got a couple coats of high heat paint to help avoid rusting.  The manifolds are hand tightened with a couple outer bolts for now just to get them out of the way. 

IMG_20190310_201122.jpg.beb6ba7b8103af5a16455d4731e350a4.jpg

The gasket that came with the exhaust manifold isn't perfect, all the ports lineup but the bolt holes in the center don't line up correctly.  I've flipped the gasket and it's the same so I'm going to have to open the holes up a little somehow.

IMG_20190310_201249.jpg.372d9bc2e5fcf0efbb73c1c073ac2b55.jpg

Major progress today!  Everything is put back together on the truck, although I just remembered I forgot to plug the headlight harness in :doh:.  It's super clean and shiny under the hood now.  Not going to get crap falling in my face constantly which is nice.

IMG_20190316_201635.jpg.6ff3c9411a0b85e64404e771a929b101.jpg

Sprayed the frame and bed above the fuel tank with undercoating to so I don't have to remove the tank again when I do the whole truck.  Got the new fuel tank put together and installed.  The electrolisys thing worked to get the strap bolt nuts broke free after a few days worth of soaking.  Had to take them off with the impact but it saved me from finding new ones.  They are slightly bent but they still work.

IMG_20190316_153632.jpg.3545b10eee7096daae0f110b2e5fba88.jpg

Got the wonky exhaust removed, cut, and welded together so it follows the correct path under the truck.  It had obviously come from different vehicle, you can see in the picture all the random exhaust hangers I had to cut off, I added the MJ one.  The Flowmaster super 44 of course went in with that.

IMG_20190316_184039.jpg.a3cc4dfb87d8353741ecd80b22aa6373.jpg

Started the truck and let it idled for a few minutes just to make sure it ran and to hear the new exhaust.  It idled at about 1500rpm for a couple minutes then dropped to normal and is running smoothly and doesn't appear to be leaking anything so that's a success.  Tomorrow I'm going to plug the headlight harness in before I forget and get the coolant burped and topped off as well as go through the curing process for the exhaust manifold paint.  The new exhaust sounds really good, I can't wait to get out and hear it on the road.  

I sat in the cab and played around with where to put the XJ parking brake handle while keeping the bench seat and I think I figured out what I want to do.  More to come on that.

That is a good looking engine compartment. I really like the red accent on the valve cover. You going to do the silver on the air cleaner in red?

22 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

That is a good looking engine compartment. I really like the red accent on the valve cover. You going to do the silver on the air cleaner in red?

Thanks!  Yeah I think I will paint it to match.  I don't want to overdo the accent colors so I put it in like that to see what it would look like.  I debated pulling the red vacuum lines from the XJ and put them in the truck but that would be too much I think.

8 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Thanks!  Yeah I think I will paint it to match.  I don't want to overdo the accent colors so I put it in like that to see what it would look like.  I debated pulling the red vacuum lines from the XJ and put them in the truck but that would be too much I think.

Air cleaner will definitely look good. Not sure about vacuum line. If you do I would like to see that. Taylor makes red wires also. I bought the blue and really like them. I was also debating on blue vacuum line but not sure yet. Might have to since blue is the same price as black.

41 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

Air cleaner will definitely look good. Not sure about vacuum line. If you do I would like to see that. Taylor makes red wires also. I bought the blue and really like them. I was also debating on blue vacuum line but not sure yet. Might have to since blue is the same price as black.

As in battery wires or like split loom for the entire truck?

3 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

As in battery wires or like split loom for the entire truck?

Spark plug wires. 

:comanche:

Took the truck out today, filled it up with gas and went driving for a while.  Thing is running great, sounds really good, and doesn't leak anything currently!