“Start-Stop” Technology

Ωhm

My vehicle has A/C, but driving around town I like all 4 windows down. More & more I now notice starters engaging when traffic lights go from Red to Green. Is this technology going to dominate all vehicle in the years to come? It kinda makes me laugh when I hear this.

I went to Tampa last week to visit. 4 minute red light, drive for 3 minutes, 4 minute red light, drive for 3 minutes.........repeat. 

I forget ( I guess) what's it's like to live in a S-hole. Nice place to visit but thank god I no longer live there. 

One of my favorite Gary Larson cartoons- Ship of Fools - Car of Idiots.

I put a s-load of miles on my Frontier, out of warranty, passenger air bag sensor is bad, $3000 to repair, Nissan has me by the balls. Sensor hard-codes module, fries module. Module is flashed/married to truck, I'm out $750 on first module. Now I'm waiting on cash for sensor and second module. Nissan USA told me to get bent, IOWs, F-off. 

Cars are disposable, been going down the road for some time now, we are here. 

Buy stock in starters, engines, batteries........your fortune awaits. 

Cars of Idiots. 

Here-

It's not that the world is being taken over by these fag-boys but that the world is being run by them. 

I can back a trailer up a gnat's @$$.......no assist required. 

"Tech" is replacing men, or at least the ability of men to be men.  

Why such an attitude? I see where things are going and I don't like it. As it is, an entire generation of people who cannot parallel park......lol

for better or for worse, tech will dominate the future.  everything is getting more and more complex.   that's why my folks are getting the longterm Mopar warranty on the Durango.  

But I come from the rust belt, and those roads kill everything.  I shudder at what will happen when self-driving cars have been on the road a few years.  :peep:  

55 minutes ago, Pete M said:

for better or for worse, tech will dominate the future.  everything is getting more and more complex

True, even power steering, power brakes and automatic transmissions were new features when they first came out.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

My vehicle has A/C, but driving around town I like all 4 windows down. More & more I now notice starters engaging when traffic lights go from Red to Green. Is this technology going to dominate all vehicle in the years to come? It kinda makes me laugh when I hear this.

Our new Compass has the crappy ESS feature. First thing I did with 14 miles on the clock was disable it.

Just bought a '15 Chevy Volt. When I test drove it, I came to a stop. I don't hear an engine running. I thought I had stalled it out. Doh, its electric. I did test drive a test vehicle with the start-stop on it. I don't remember it was me driving it. We came to a stop. The engine stopped. We were what to we do. Someone said, push on the accelerator. The vehicle moved through the intersection and started up.  I have good days and bad days of parallel parking. Its a blue moon when I have to. Also, with trailers. Not good. I had a roommate, he was a Nebraska Farm boy. He said he could back up a trailer 100ft or more, not problem when he was 14 yrs old. He was away from the farm for a few months, couldn't do it.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

But I come from the rust belt, and those roads kill everything.  I shudder at what will happen when self-driving cars have been on the road a few years.  :peep:  

It's surprising that either the auto manufacturers haven't demanded that some limit be placed on the amount of salt that is put on the road, or that they haven't been required to build vehicles with even better anti-corrosion technology, since the salt usage in those areas can render a vehicle structurally deficient within 5 years. :nuts:

It's surprising that either the auto manufacturers haven't demanded that some limit be placed on the amount of salt that is put on the road, or that they haven't been required to build vehicles with even better anti-corrosion technology, since the salt usage in those areas can render a vehicle structurally deficient within 5 years. :nuts:

Why would they do that? If you think about it they would lose money either way, if they limit the salt on the roads then the stuff doesn't get corroded, the average person then doesn't have to take the vehicle in to get it serviced as often, or even buy a new car. The manufacturer is in it for the money, they know these are throw away cars from the beginning. Same goes for more undercoating they then have to spend more money on that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As for this ess, most of the vehicles I work on has it, they suck you stop it stops. I get a car on average a week that someone will complain that it died on them or that it acts like it's gonna die and it has this ess system. The only thing that I enjoy is I can usually tell who drives with two feet by there complaints. Can't say I've seen an increase in starter replacements but battery yes. These cars are getting so many electronics that most vehicles are coming with two batteries.

55 minutes ago, jdog said:

Why would they do that? If you think about it they would lose money either way, if they limit the salt on the roads then the stuff doesn't get corroded, the average person then doesn't have to take the vehicle in to get it serviced as often, or even buy a new car. The manufacturer is in it for the money, they know these are throw away cars from the beginning. Same goes for more undercoating they then have to spend more money on that.

You missed the point.

Did Toyota make a ton of money by having to replace 225,000 truck frames?  Absolutely not, it's assumed it has cost them billions of dollars just to replace the frames, plus potentially a ton more in lost sales due to damage to their reputation.

As the manufacturer seems to be held responsible for the safety of their product for longer and longer, it is in their own interest to demand that the vehicles are not subjected to such horrific conditions.  On the flip side the NHTSA will likely wind up pushing for better corrosion control requirements on the basis of safety, which will also cost the auto manufacturer money (like you were saying, you just missed why they were going to have to do it, I can assure you they don't want to spend the money), hence again they would be better off to go after the excessive salt usage instead.

8 hours ago, Ωhm said:

True, even power steering, power brakes and automatic transmissions were new features when they first came out.

More Truisms, I guess...........

I think the point I was making with my short Frontier story was lost in the making. 

What happens when...........?

You buy a 2019 X, you pay off the X and hand it down to your son six years in the future. 

7 years in the future the retail value of X is $12K. 

7 years in the future you find out that your X has 18 independent but interdependent modules, all of which are married to each other. 

Son had a series of codes. 

AP stores cannot read all codes.........off to dealer. 

Dealer informs you that X has 3 bad sensors and 3 bad modules. 

Dealer items only, only dealer has flash software. 

Dealer price is $5200. 

Repair bill is now nearing 50% of value. 

What will you do?

I'm really curious what people will do when dealers/makers no longer support a specific model or series of models. Just as IE is no longer supported, what then?

FWIW to anyone............

The passenger seat sensor in a Frontier is $1400 and $400 labor to install and flash module to sensor. 

$1800 for a sensor. 

I $#!& you not. 

People really have no clue what's going on in a modern vehicle and how all this $#!& works. Or how expensive it is. 

16 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

I know what you mean, but Michigan will never stop using salt, not until all the inland lakes turn to salt water caused by salty road runoff.

1061268796_SaltMinesUSA_1.jpg.2337357a80b50b7bd8f2d7063ab5bbce.jpg

Check out WIPP, salt that glows.

http://www.wipp.energy.gov/fctshts/salt.pdf

Is WIPP the whole Yucca Mountain thing (as National Geographic put it "Yuck, a mountain, full of radioactive waste" or something to that effect)?

Gotta bury that stuff somewhere.

And I agree, you won't see salt use decrease in any of those areas because it's such a big industry.  I wish they wouldn't salt anything here, it doesn't actually help.  If it just stays cold and you put some sand down it works much better, as the sand embeds in the ice and it acts like sandpaper.  Even on clear ice in the cold you have great traction.  It's the freeze/thaw cycles that salt (and warm weather) introduces that actually make a slick surface (it's cold enough the whole winter that you only get significant freeze/thaw in the spring really, and even that can be combated with just sand).

In Manitoba the sale frequently isn't all that effective because it's that cold. 

I lived in Oshawa for a couple years, and it always bugged the hell out of me that we'd get two inches of snow and the plow trucks would go out with their blades up, blowing salt out the @$$ end. The sidewalks were like walking on crushed glass. It was ridiculous! And the locals all defended the salt use, with all kinds of excuses. But what it really broils down to is that the economic health of Oshawa is pretty directly tied to the health of the GM plant. 

As far as ESS is concerned, yeah, we've had a couple complaints about it. Most of our fleet is barebones work truck trim, but there's the odd one with it and yeah, it catches people out. Oh God, the boss's truck stalled! Most of our driving is on the highway so it's not super noticeable, but I can imagine it not being great for colder urban climates. Especially since it's starting to get less common for new cars to ship with block heaters... we've even had a couple diesels show up without, despite having specifically specced it. That's definitely not a good sign.