Comanche Fun-Runner (LS, Coilovers, Beams...)

On 4/21/2019 at 8:46 PM, RestoringNV said:

I read this thread through and through (actually scoured it). Pete M. sent me the link on FB, after I messaged him of my intentions. I will continue to follow this thread, as what you are doing to this MJ is very similar to I want to do with mine. Cept for all the expensive suspension stuff. Maybe that will get done, if I can snag 'new-to-me parts, through-out time! I seen that you offered to build a harness for another CC member, would you be willing to extend that offer to me? And if so, can you PM me an approximate quote?

Lovin your truck build, thus far!

I am still here, truck is fine, I sure can build another fuse box or relay harness, I am most active on FB so go ahead and message me, my name is Chandler Gaines, I'm on all the big MJ pages. 

On 4/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, HokieMJ said:

Totally dig the build so far Comanche SS.  

Question for you.  What does your lift consist of?

All stock springs, JKS adjustable spring spacers, Metalcloak Control arms, Currie sway bar, photo in beginning of build of all components

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So finally it's all one color. it's far from done and not perfect. This was my very first auto paint trial, and it shows, so a little sanding and touch up here and there. Plus bed liner and inner fenders Wells all need to be done up. but for the first time in awhile it's all one color and I'm stoked on how it came out. Not bad for 95$ and a few days work!

ac25a8294ff01dd026c02a6f4b6da763.jpg55cbfea5bb92a8ca641ccba5240b597e.jpg7f1f0cbf95e833fdce2897a3cb72ed42.jpgffd6c29e6c0aed280bf01320c01dcbc5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, All around mj said:

How did you go about your fuel setup with those bedsides? Did you retain the stock filler neck?

I have seen them relocated to the rear of the drivers side rear fender,but I'm like you I don't see anything. I would also like to know were you got the fenders/panels,and how much were they? I've been thinking about doing this,but in steel. It's alot of fab work though,and time consuming.

looks fantastic in a uniform color  

are you thinking of using prerunner style bumpers?
Potentially. Satofab made a sweet one years ago which I had on my old ls Comanche, but since they've come back in business it's doubled in price. Rear is likely gonna get a spare hanging out the rear of the bed to act as a bumper

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Comanche SS said:

It's inside the rear wheel well now.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering because I have been thinking about getting the fenders and bedsides when I put my tons in since the new stance will be considerably wider than stock. I’m still trying to figure out how to go about mounting the bedsides. What kind of fasteners did you use? Got any good pictures of the process or tips?

3 hours ago, All around mj said:

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering because I have been thinking about getting the fenders and bedsides when I put my tons in since the new stance will be considerably wider than stock. I’m still trying to figure out how to go about mounting the bedsides. What kind of fasteners did you use? Got any good pictures of the process or tips?

Yeah, I opted for all stainless hardware, hex button head 1/4-20 with washers and a washer nylock on the back, I cut the entire old bedside off along the outer line of the upper bed rail and used the stock bedside rail to mount them. ALong the bottom I made some brackets that mount to the frame in existing holes for the rear bumper and other random holes. I didnt wanna add any holes if possible along the frame. Depending how wide your stance is you might not wanna run the rears. Check out the ZONE MJ in the epic section on the forum. They ran 44's and even at that width on I think the 39s they had some figuring to do with the clearances. These bedsides are designed to allow tires to tuck inside the wheel well moreso.

here's the link to the ZONE MJ Build:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, itschrisb said:

Any idea if you could make those besides work on a long bed? Your truck has just inspired me to keep mine and build it I think!

I believe we talked on FB. But for a long bed most people get the 2-door XJ flares, since they are just the bulge part of the fender. They go onto the side of the stock bedside pretty easily. Another option for a skilled fiberglass person is extending the fenders to long bed length. Could be done if you are good enough. The picture shows the first option on Some_xj instagram.

some_xj.PNG

• Comanche SS changed the title to Comanche Fun-Runner (LS, Coilovers, Beams...)