Son of Stink

Dual OEM (LHD/ RHD) XJ fans installed. They sit nice and tight against the radiator. Power to the primary fan comes via a temperature switch Renix style in the radiator through a relay. I've yet to fire it up and test things, but keeping my fingers crossed. Still have a transfer case to install and lots of suspension work to do.

fan1.jpg

fan2.jpg

That looks really good G. Going to drop a RHD fan in mine too to replace the trimmed LHD fan I have now. Can I still use the same mounting slots and holes that I did for the LHD fan on the right side? Don't want to cut any more holes/slots if possible. 

Also is that the stock FPR vacuum hose you have hooked up above? And do you have the Hesco adjustable FPR?

You should be able to drop the RHD right where you have your LHD primary now. I chose to drill a hole and mount my primary fan (RHD) closer to the auxiliary fan. I felt it was more centered to the engine.  As far as that vacuum hose, it's something I cobbled together from some new Renix harnesses. There's quite a few vacuum hoses I cobbled from a Renix harness so the lines flowed neatly. And yes, that's A Hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

15 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

That looks really good G. Going to drop a RHD fan in mine too to replace the trimmed LHD fan I have now. Can I still use the same mounting slots and holes that I did for the LHD fan on the right side? Don't want to cut any more holes/slots if possible. 

As far as that vacuum hose, it's something I cobbled together from some new Renix harnesses. There's quite a few vacuum hoses I cobbled from a Renix harness so the lines flowed neatly.

Thanks - it sure does look like I can use the same mounting points for the RHD fan.

I cobbled up the FPR vacuum hose too. Thought there might be a vac hose from an XJ with the newer intake I could use.

Awesome work.  What is your goal/purpose for the vehicle?  It looks like you are making a 'What jeep should have built' model.  I mean to say the untrained eye would mistake it for a factory original vehicle.  What do you plan on using it for?  Putting around town?  Show car?  

That's probably the best way to put it -- 'what Jeep should have built' model.  More than likely once I paint/ finish it up it will be my twice a week driver along side my '01 XJ.

My '89 MJ is the one I'm aiming to be the show-ish truck as it's a complete resto/ stripped down to nothing. The '92 is kind of a testing ground for that one. 

Had fun this weekend bending new rear brake lines to accommodate the Teraflex soft lines. Also needed to modify the MJ parking brake lines a bit, and drill-out/ notch the Ford Explorer clevis to connect the parking brake lines to the Teraflex back plates. Not too bad, but time-consuming attention to detail things.

tera.jpg

Attached the Borla downpipe, MagnaFlow catalytic converter, and muffler.

exhaust.jpg

All the suspension on the front end is loose and needs final adjustments, but the MJ is now standing on its own 4 tires. Filled and checked the fluids and fired it up for the first time. And first time it didn’t start…was using the Hesco crank CPS kit and nada. Just kept cranking. I had a failover CPS at the flywheel and it fired right up. Will talk to Hesco this week to figure out the issue. The MJ sounded good, though it chugged a bit because I forgot to attach the vacuum football behind the front bumper…also, the primary electric fan didn't come on when it should have, so I need to look in to why.

Also, the dash mounted on/off and in/out switch for the winch worked as they were supposed to. I’m using factory pods with a XJ/MJ fog light switch for the on/off and a SJ (Grand Wagoneer) tailgate power window switch for the in/out.

Hoping to drive it around the block before the end of the month.

1 hour ago, Gjeep said:

Had fun this weekend bending new rear brake lines to accommodate the Teraflex soft lines. Also needed to modify the MJ parking brake lines a bit, and drill-out/ notch the Ford Explorer clevis to connect the parking brake lines to the Teraflex back plates. Not too bad, but time-consuming attention to detail things.

Did you cut a slot in the Ford clevis for the cable then squeeze it shut G? I didn't particularly care for that method when I did mine, but it's all I could think of at the time and has been working well for a number of years now. Also did you fab a return spring on the ebrake cable? Never did that, but ebrake returns fine with the eternal spring in the hat.

RearBackingPlate1.jpg.b267f3e3e7984d3cb6fcae8d126099c0.jpg

Didn't have a lot of time this weekend to tinker on the MJ, but chipped away at a few things...Installed the front suspension and brake assembly. Finished the D44 Teraflex kit install and rear parking brake cable set up. Got all the new/existing brake lines connected, but have not filled/bled yet. Installed taller rear frame axle stops, and a few other odds and ends.

hub.JPG

stabilizer.JPG

Pillaged a '89 XJ at the local pick and full for switch pod lighting. The Renix-era Laredo/ Limited XJ's typically had 2 switches to the left and right of the steering column. I needed these little lights for my custom switch pod set up. My '92 MJ only had one of the switch pod lights from the factory (for the fog light option).

switches.JPG

I've yet to get that damn temperature switch to work for the primary fan. Did some more research and ordered a couple more online. It's gonna happen. 

20 hours ago, Gjeep said:

Didn't have a lot of time this weekend to tinker on the MJ, but chipped away at a few things...

Man, do I feel like a loser, you consider that just "chipping away"!

It's amazing!!! Have you had the winch switch panels made already, how do they look?

I got them back a few weeks ago...They looks as I posted somewhere further up this build thread. Came out great! And were cheap!  Left side of column is fog light and aux fan override; right of column will be winch on/off and winch in/out. And the winch works using factory XJ and SJ rocker switches!  Very happy with the outcome.

No photo updates from this past weekend... I've given up on getting the temperature switch at the radiator to work to turn on my primary OEM efan. I'm sure I would have found some switch that worked, but want to get behind the wheel of this thing some time soon....so, using a SPAL controller (similar to Hornbrod) to kick-start the fan at both low and high temperature settings. (For the future, if I don't like what's happening with the SPAL, I've ordered Hesco's high flow thermostat housing with a 1/8" NPT threaded hole for a temperature switch in addition to the factory temperature sensor hole. With that I would install a 1/8" NPT American Volt 180* on/ 165* off temperature switch).

Got the stronger Spicer U-bolt yoke kit on my D30 and D44 installed, and completed a front wheel alignment using Longacre LON52-79501 Toe-in Plate -- Made it really easy to get the front end dialed. 

I have leaks in my Teraflex bleeder screws to address, the Hesco relocated CPS still doesn't work no matter how I wire it, need to replace my alternator (as it was a turd out of the box) with a just-ordered Nationals 180 amp alternator, install linkage for the transfer case, and still need to go through the suspension and torque all hardware to spec. I think that will get me driveable.

Was away most of the weekend and only had a couple hours to play on the MJ...

As I add electrical goodies to the truck (winch, IPF lighting, SPAL fan controller, etc) I have more and more stand alone inline fuses scattered around the engine compartment... Drives my OCD nuts. Since I knew there were unused slots in the PDC, I wired these new fuses into available fuse locations. Not a small task as you have to disassemble the PDC. The BUS bar that runs the stretch of the MAXI fuse section needs to be removed an new fuse terminals/ inserts need to be installed to fill the open slots. These connectors simply pull on/ off the bus bar as needed. The original MJ bus bar was missing 3, so I added those 3 in (making power available to that fuse location). Since the MJ didn't have ABS, those 2 were available, as became the 2 alternator spots (as I will be upgrading the alternator wiring). 

I had a spare/ scrap wiring harness I used to scavenge parts I needed. I also needed to harvest the MAXI fuse wire terminals (as they are nothing that can be found online or in local parts houses). Basically, I needed to carefully bend back the wiring strap tabs of the terminal and remove the wiring with out over-bending/ breaking those tabs...then put those terminal ends on my new accessory wiring.

This is how my PDC looks now. I still have some MAXI fuse and relay location available for future use.

NEW PCM.JPG

I'm running factory wiring for my power window/ locks/ mirrors...so there's a couple factory location taps in to the under dash fuse box and relays behind the passenger kick panel. All I needed to change on the ElectricLife power window regulators was the connection plug at the end and it mated up to the OEM wiring.

Had a few hours and got the PDC wiring done...Still need to wrap the wires in electrical tape, but much neater as I put the IPF, winch in-cab control, and SPAL fan controller wiring in this bundle. So instead of 3 separate looms running up and down the passenger side of my engine compartment I have one, with fuses consolidated in the PDC.

new fuse.jpg