• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 11:25 AM, Pete M said:

that's a nice little touch right there.  :L: 

19 hours ago, RangerDB said:

Very nice job, looking awesome.

Thank you.

Little update:

Since replacing the O-rings for the TBI I have noticed an increase in throttle response and the injector is not spraying all over the place now. Woo!..... broke the injector retainer screw which some of you may have seen.

Went to AMC salvage today, scored a whole cruise minus the speedo cables which I hope I can find new. Came out of an 84-86 Cherokee? I do not know but it had the GM deluxe trash can at one point. I may replace the wiper/cruise/turn signal lever if they are reproduced for cruise.

Also a plan B to fix my screw up braking that screw head, the yard had a used throttle body while I was there and so naturally I bought that, luckily it was not a fortune. Plan is to get the throttle body cleaned while I'm at work before a weekend install

After watching TFL's video on their MJ I may have gotten a little too inspired and I decided to take my front header apart and repaint the trim. I also restored my eight slot grill but that was before the videos existence.

Now some pics:

IMG_5967.JPG.de24ada6e73c912941cadb037ceb3a37.JPGIMG_5969.JPG.efa19287c1fac235730f0a45a62dc964.JPGIMG_5968.JPG.cec68b55c80f92cef83ccf0576ce8add.JPG

Naturally I love it but who doesn't love what they do to their truck. Not seen very well in the picture but I did buff the headlight retainers to stand out better.

Alrighty, after spending half the day swapping throttle bodies around I finally got it done. Could not do a whole swap and done, I had to swap the bowls around as the other throttle body had another open vacuum port and the one that came with my truck did not have such. So after installing the wrong gasket and discovering gas leak around the bowl, I removed  the body again and tightened the screws to the bowl and swapped in the right gasket and now she purrs. Still a tiny leak around the bowl but there's nothing I can do as no one seems to make a rebuild kit for the 2.5L TBI. I did find and buy the last two injector retainer kits from Chrysler so that is now all new.

Lesson learned, do not tighten those screws so damn tight!

Updates: while back I swapped in a drivers side remote mirror so now I have a dual remote set up finally, swapped throttle body and several months ago I sent off an RX-141 radio I found at AMC salvage to be repaired after my goof up and Jeremy just now finished restoring it! I think I will probably end up swapping in that radio. Also swapped valve cover with the new one I recently painted and got a 21 slot grill on. I'll get a pic of that later. 

Future: Cruise control, radio and hopefully a paint job.

57359509588__FB2855FF-EB7D-494E-8084-5702B9D8DCC0.JPG.cea9e9438f37ea27d6b36ff01f9ab959.JPGIMG_5983.JPG.9ed9fef27ea1556778c5bf3d69cc562c.JPG

IMG_5982.JPG.d1f4edd3cc6a49f8f86d1a6556e017bc.JPG

Thanks Pete for this sticker! RIP Don.

Edit: Just found a rebuild kit after some digging.

Edited by eaglescout526

Rebuilt throttle body yesterday. 

Recieved some drip moldings from Will and now Little Red does not look odd without the drivers side

4460498E-FA82-46B6-8274-28D72C2C8D23.jpeg.c70bfebe07d1749d7808119cd1af935a.jpeg

I did not know that the drip rail was so screwed up that getting this molding on was a pain in the butt! 

Cruise control is ready to go and will be a next weekend install along with a fuel line to replace a flare nut that is chewed up at the TB.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick little update;

Cruise control has been way to far into the works but it is moving along and hopefully should be ready soon.

What I have acquired after getting the whole cruise control:

NOS throttle cable for the 2.5L, NOS vacuum harness for cruise, brake switch, NOS speedo cables and Crown cables both upper and lowers.

I figured out a couple things for this project that has taken so long: Renix vacuum reservoirs that is shaped like the football is next to near impossible and the automatic trans bracket for the vacuum dump valve for cruise will fit and work on the manual set up, it just won't be connected to the clutch but that's ok. The manual bracket mounts on a bracket in front of where the connecting rod connects to the clutch pedal. If this was known to anyone on where the clutch dump valve mounts for a manual, awesome! If not it will be here for the future.

As for the vacuum reservoir situation, well I think this idea should work as its the same concept but it put into one part and not two like how they did it in 84-86. I have a second "softball" vacuum reservoir that should act as the other half of the "football" reservoir and should control the servo.

IMG_6035.JPG.3cb8f94aa5cf45589707991ed134e2ab.JPG

That was a pain to get the screw to thread and go in.

A lot of planning and time has gone into this but it was just my luck to find CC from an 86 XJ and not an 87-90.

Once this is done, I'll be replacing the clutch master cylinder. I think and believe the one I replaced the stock one has failed and its obnoxious to keep my foot on the pedal just to hold pressure in the line. So the stock one has been rebuilt and will go back in. So much for pristine floors in a desert. 

You didn't ask Will. I have at least a half dozen quad port vacuum balls otherwise known as pill or football shaped. If your still in need of 1 pm me. I have been saving all renix cruise stuff I come across including cables etc. You really could use any though or even make 1. Your Idea of 2 would work as well. I think a little aluminum housing custom made would be great and way less likely to be damaged especially where they get mounted if you choose to keep it there.

On 3/10/2019 at 5:04 PM, eaglescout526 said:

I sent off an RX-141 radio I found at AMC salvage to be repaired after my goof up and Jeremy just now finished restoring it! I think I will probably end up swapping in that radio.

:beerchug:

Sweet little ride you've got here. :L:

• 2 weeks later...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cruise...it works! 

I really had my doubts any of it would freaking work but it does!

After fighting with the clutch and the master cylinder(helps to rebuild it properly.) and it still giving some slight trouble after taking it out and re-rebuilding it, it no longer leaks inside now, so I'm looking at replacing the slave.

Anyways that's not what this is about, it is this:

IMG_6043.JPG.db7e50369b4ea3a95c6d07c08b1c947c.JPG

As we all know the 2.5Litre has been shadowed by its younger sibling the 4.0L. So finding pictures of this engine bay with cruise control is not fun. I don't think I found a single one. 

The cable is so damn long though that I decided to fill the empty space by the blower motor and not puncture the fire wall.

Looks factory in that location, had to modify the original mounting bracket for the firewall but I did not have the right cable at the time....so I really didn't need to butcher the mounting bracket. Oh well. Still looks good.

Now I'm sure you are all wondering, how does it perform? Well surprisingly for how old it all is, it only drops a couple miles under what you set the speed at. I'll have to play with the adjustments later. I'm just happy to be done with this thing already. 

Oh and Thank you Will for the cruise vacuum tank.

On 4/12/2019 at 12:45 AM, eaglescout526 said:

the automatic trans bracket for the vacuum dump valve for cruise will fit and work on the manual set up, it just won't be connected to the clutch but that's ok. The manual bracket mounts on a bracket in front of where the connecting rod connects to the clutch pedal. If this was known to anyone on where the clutch dump valve mounts for a manual, awesome! If not it will be here for the future.

Strictly for the sake of conversation, I don't think there is a Clutch Dump Valve. Isn't it the Cruise/Trans Switch (works off the Brake Switch) that dumps vacuum for CC (both auto or manual).

32 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Strictly for the sake of conversation, I don't think there is a Clutch Dump Valve. Isn't it the Cruise/Trans Switch (works off the Brake Switch) that dumps vacuum for CC (both auto or manual).

That’s a tricky question as it seems all of our trucks can use either auto or manual cruise set ups. 

The manual set up uses a switch/valve that is used in conjunction to the brake switch. I believe in the DIY Blaine D has a picture of one that has both a valve and plug. AMC and GM used the same switch as Chrysler references the GM number for the Chrysler part.  So yes there is a switch/dump valve that the set up needs but an auto set up works just as well

Hopefully I answered that well enough for ya Ohm.

Just did the adjustment procedure for the regulator for cruise control and after a drive around the block and a couple pull off stops to adjust the centering adjustment screw per directions of the FSM, I got it to engage and stay at the speed it gets set to. Woo!

Next, tackle these clutch issues then radio set up/swap.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Damn, you're killing it with these rare NOS parts here :L:

Hell yeah!

The running boards are from that eBay listing. I actually couldn’t believe no one else bid on them. 

And funny enough about the mud flaps is I was looking for a how to install them and ran into the part number on here. So I plugged the number into Chrysler and one dealer had the old number.