Jump to content

Recommended Posts

copied from a lost thread (aka: not mine)

 

 

Quote

 

Ok, so I took a bunch of photos and I will share them with you. However, I think I owe you more photos and a sufficient write up. The write up will have to occur on the passenger side tail light. The drivers side was my trail and error side. I have my thoughts, but I would like you thoughts. This took me a total of about 5 hours to do one side. I feel like the other side will take half as long. I say that because the first 2.5 hours of work was fruitless, but I will share that with you as well.

 

Here is what I started with:

bea98f1c1652e7d029ac15544705faf2.jpg

 

a1afa04b06f47313abf08757fc1d5361.jpg

 

aeae7ff964627d016803e8c157862425.jpg

 

 

 

d789fc7b18bb65096b2c0303b94325a9.jpg

 

c22e98c449fecba037596ca2fdc168fc.jpg

 

196a0fb9586e449dcfebffb9079397f4.jpg

 

7c56e1b035619b4527ee77d999dec792.jpg

 

What you see here is the first part of my day. I figured that i would use the XJ rear hatch to trace the curve of the light. Great Idea!!!!!! Bad execution. once I found the curve, the next step was to trace that onto the the bed and use tape to get the body line correct.. I measured the lip of the sheet metal so that I could replicate it.........don't try this, its stupid and it will waste your time trying to make the factory lip. Its possible...but stupid.

 

 

 

Quote

 

 

28e9ed0e7afa6199165d2b1930223918.jpg

 

d8f65ae4144ed5b86da2f6b9b4bec5d0.jpg

 

3f8448cef49c9b3d37b2b456b0fbe014.jpg

 

 

 

1d1ca0daad7b2c277adfc1757dbb2995.jpg

 

At this point, I google the cost of a new bed. This was after I had beat the sheet metal in after cutting those relief cuts. I then unfolded it all and cut it off even. The was no measurements for this, it was a complete eyeball through a face shield. Don't do that,.......its not smart. I guess I didn't completely realize that there was going to be a gap on both sides of the light.

 

0ac99a895d7820e62534be1defbb82a2.jpg

 

fb660d2af6a96413217cd828c0f7b9dc.jpg

f379479aeecd0a42870b95aa7a245b61.jpg

0a1441bd285426aeadfb6e82f37726f8.jpg

 

be2be35d3b25b92ae982ac9a17fad1f2.jpg

 

a9b1d607faffb1bd68e0fd3d29339258.jpg

 

b5891ac51777b717152cc3fb44109d64.jpg

 

 

And this is what it looks like completed without body filler or paint. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Mopar_Luvr said:

Are the Dakota lights easier to mciver into our beds?

 

not really.  with zero fabrication (maybe some duct tape?) they can both be made "functional", but in order to not look like crap they both require welding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Cerbomach said:

Have someone tried KK cherokee rear tail ligts? Although those look a bit modern for the MJ maybe can be fitted easier

 

not yet that I've seen.  you could be the first! :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pete M said:

 

not yet that I've seen.  you could be the first! :D 

I'm thinking in those as an option but not 100% convinced that they will look good, I think those are to modern for the MJ. Another option that I have seen fitted is late 80's early 90's F150 rear tail ligths,(may have some pictures of that) look very similar to de XJ ones. I'm also considering TJ's or someting similar, like the Galdiator has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Greentoy said:

Just did this to mine today.  Wrangler LED lights mounted inside oem lenses.  Fit was actually pretty easy. Thoughts?

Got any pictures from further away? Was thinking of doing this for my trailer project cause take off are super cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:43 PM, Greentoy said:

Just did this to mine today.  Wrangler LED lights mounted inside oem lenses.  Fit was actually pretty easy. Thoughts?

 

What kind of fitment issues?  I certainly can't tell in the pics of there was modifications to the sheet metal.

 

These actually look pretty good to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
What kind of fitment issues?  I certainly can't tell in the pics of there was modifications to the sheet metal.
 
These actually look pretty good to me.

Coolwind57, I used the original cracked tail lamp assemblies as a sort of adapter for the wrangler lights. I did not cut any sheet metal and retained the original mounting screws so I could easily go back to oem later if desired.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 10:33 PM, Greentoy said:


Coolwind57, I used the original cracked tail lamp assemblies as a sort of adapter for the wrangler lights. I did not cut any sheet metal and retained the original mounting screws so I could easily go back to oem later if desired.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

So, you maybe cut out your MJ lenses to fit and glue in the Wrangler lenses, is that what I'm seeing here?  Maybe shot black paint on what still visible of the MJ lens housing?

 

I'm diggin this.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

 

So, you maybe cut out your MJ lenses to fit and glue in the Wrangler lenses, is that what I'm seeing here?  Maybe shot black paint on what still visible of the MJ lens housing?

 

I'm diggin this.

 

 

Coolwind57,

That's pretty much correct. The mounting tab on the back of the watertight wrangler lenses matched up perfectly with part of the rear housing allowing a small bolt and locknut to be used to fasten it securely. I used a black adhesive caulk (Flex seal) to fill the small gaps in the cutout, then taped off the new lenses and shot the whole thing with spray bedliner to match the texture on both pieces while adding durability.  I wish I had taken pics or video during the process, but the fact is that even I am amazed at how well they turned out. :cool:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cerbomach said:

Not bad actually!, look's pretty nice. like it!

Thank You.  I have had some people really hate on it on another thread. (cardinal sin or something?)  Most have liked it though.  I like it, and that is all that matters.  Cost $55 instead of $250-350 each on ebay for oem. :))

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Greentoy said:

Thank You.  I have had some people really hate on it on another thread. (cardinal sin or something?)  Most have liked it though.  I like it, and that is all that matters.  Cost $55 instead of $250-350 each on ebay for oem. :))

I think they look good enough and more important you like them and were only 55 $. I was thinking in doing similar with TJ rear lights, but I score a par of ONS rear MJ lights for 40 $ the pair:banana: so definetly  went with those.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Greentoy said:

Thank You.  I have had some people really hate on it on another thread. (cardinal sin or something?)  Most have liked it though.  I like it, and that is all that matters.  Cost $55 instead of $250-350 each on ebay for oem. :))

well just like that gladiator bumper and jk wheels they are sacreligious but they look cool. new things on 80s trucks are just awkward and need to be done right like 97+ swaps

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Cerbomach said:

I think they look good enough and more important you like them and were only 55 $. I was thinking in doing similar with TJ rear lights, but I score a par of ONS rear MJ lights for 40 $ the pair:banana: so definetly  went with those.

$40 for the pair! You did good! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

well just like that gladiator bumper and jk wheels they are sacreligious but they look cool. new things on 80s trucks are just awkward and need to be done right like 97+ swaps

Jesse J,

I just saw that gladiator bumper, and I like it too! I really am a terrible MJ owner! LOL  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greentoy said:

Jesse J,

I just saw that gladiator bumper, and I like it too! I really am a terrible MJ owner! LOL  

LOL some small part of me want's to build a "modern" comanche (not the renegade one) but put those wrangler lights and a gladiator bumper and a 97 swap and jk wheels. make everything LED, backup camera, infotainment screen. probably won't happen but it would be cool

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...