Oversize Oil Filter

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

That's called "changing the oil from the top."  I have an 8.1 L Chevy Suburban I do that to.

My consumption is staggeringly low.  It actually has a very tight engine in it.  It was a GM crate engine somebody bought and wrapped the truck it was in around a pole shortly after.

I really should change the oil because that's easier than changing the engine (again).

21 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Lots of endless debates all over the internet about oil.  Here is what I "think" I now.

3) Modern oil is engineered to specific SAE Grades or performance standards.  Zinc additives went away due to their ill effects on catalytic convertors

Nope, not for some conventional diesel oils, at least so far. A high zinc ppm content is still available, particularly in Chevron Delo 400LE and Shell Rotella. Been using Delo since day one with the stroker for many years now because of the flat tappet higher lift cam I'm running, and because the guys at Hesco told me to. Would be a good choice for your new diesel MJ too John.  :thumbsup:

Don,

Good information about Chevron Delo 400LE and Shell Rotella!   I still have quite a few gallons of VW diesel specific oil in the garage   Both Delo and Rotella are great oils for gas or diesel.

Instead of saying zinc additives went away, I should have said zinc content was greatly reduced.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

Where do you find the adapter for the renix engine?

Got my Mopar 3/4"X16 nipple at the local Jeep dealership.  You're gonna need a long and strong 22mm deep well socket to get that old sucker off.  

10 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Got my Mopar 3/4"X16 nipple at the local Jeep dealership.  You're gonna need a long and strong 22mm deep well socket to get that old sucker off.  

Thank you immensely for the response and information coolwind57! Didn't realize they had different threads and made a mess.

Zinc content has been reduced for the newer Cats. Here's a link for some oil info: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rotella-worlds-first-ever-combined-hair-oil-foot-ointment-salad-dressing-188168/

I am running T6. I am planning to use a remote filter setup. Also, to add a cooler. Need to get to oil over 180F for at least 1/2 every week. Modern oils may not be as finicky.

2 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

Thank you immensely for the response and information coolwind57! Didn't realize they had different threads and made a mess.

no problem.  I have some pictures and a brief write-up on this topic at the forum MEMBERS PROJECTS:  YOUR COMANCHES page under "Coolwind57's"  It's on page 1 about half way down.

6 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

no problem.  I have some pictures and a brief write-up on this topic at the forum MEMBERS PROJECTS:  YOUR COMANCHES page under "Coolwind57's"  It's on page 1 about half way down.

Found it! Thank you again coolwind57. This will save me some money because I didn't realize that nipple was removable.

HOrnbrod's link above is for a larger kit that allows horizontal mounting as well as the 3/4" X 16 adapter you're asking about.  

If you're wanting the nipple only, then try these guys:   https://www.quadratec.com/products/51007_0020.htm

Vakarian just told me that his local jeep dealer advised that the Mopar part is no longer available, although my dealer here in Southern Indiana sold me one last year.  You may just need to call first before driving over.  Mopar Part number is:  53007563AB

Here's a Genuine Mopar on Ebay:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-2009-JEEP-DODGE-CHRYSLER-OIL-FILTER-ADAPTER-CONNECTOR-OEM-MOPAR-GENUINE/191946528853?fits=Model%3ACherokee&epid=1022063355&hash=item2cb0e79855:g:e4gAAOSw-itXsavY

6 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

You may just need to call first before driving over.  Mopar Part number is:  53007563AB

I drive by one literally daily in my commute, won't hurt me to turn in. They've gotten quite use to seeing me there with my dodge or my new MJ! :comanche:

Thanks for the info. 

HOrnbrod, thank your as well,  I probably did skim past the part number reading everything here

:laugh: