New Windshield Washer Tank Installed

I was looking at a ZJ the other day that had a dual diaphram booster and saw that they have a washer bottle that I think would fit nicely in the hood compartment of our MJs and still allow us to have a DD booster. Anyone tried this or even looked at trying it?

The old washer bottle fits fine too if moved forward about an inch. But the whole purpose of using the new bottle inside the fender is to save space in the engine compartment. The ZJ bottle would still take up space IMHO. :D

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Don, I searched the archives for this DIY remembering you had posted it. Would you be kind enough to provide some assistance on the wiring. My electrical knowledge is less than weak. I pulled the reservoir from a donor today. After removing the wiring and fluid hoses from the loomed harness, I'm lost.  I've not yet pulled the wiring and I'm not sure where it terminates. Please dumb it down for me if you will. 

I just extended the positive and negative leads from both washer pump motors from the fender well up into the engine compartment, then spliced one motor to the original washer pump motor leads, observing polarity of course. I used weatherpack connectors for the pump wires for easier swapping in case the pump in use goes belly-up. Similarly extend the low level indicator wiring if equipped, and the two fluid lines (cap one off). 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Did this a couple months ago when I was bored. One of the best and cheapest things I've done to the Jeep. After the bottle (found a 99 with almost brand new looking pumps) and a few feet of hose it cost me a total of 15$. I used a random 1 1/4" holesaw to make the filler neck hole, worked fine. Quick tip, if you use a holesaw then hold on to the drill GOOD. Once it catches good the drill will spin around and hit you... hard. Had a bruise on my jaw for a week. But it's amazing how much cleaner and open the engine compartment looks now. Also instead of weather pack connecters I found two of the same connectors at a junkyard and just spliced the connectors and used 2 females with 1 male so I could easily swap pumps if one burnt out :D

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

This mod is most excellent! Just finished doing it on my brother @jamespwsullivan's '87 Comanche. Some notes about the install are here:

Also, I found that the first photo from @HOrnbrod's original post long ago was rotated, which confused me at first. Attached is the photo in the proper orientation--looking forward while on the garage floor from inside the driver's wheel well.

100ea5fab3dfb61aa8ec4dd5511d75f1.jpg