Just My luck- Broken 2.5l oil pressure fitting

Hey guys I was wrenching on the jepp today and nothing good happened. 

The plan was to go in and remove the oil pressure light switch in favor of the oil pressure sending unit I have for the gauge to read properly. 

As I was trying to take the old one out *SNAP* the 90° brass fitting snapped at the block.

I am trying to figure out what to do. I have tried an extractor bit but the drill doesnt fit the the space and the engine mount is in the way. I will post up pics soon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

It looks thin enough you might be able to collapse an edge of it with a punch, then turn it out with a pair of pliers.

I tried this to no avail. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I'm going to keep trying

21 minutes ago, Swampy said:

I tried this to no avail. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I'm going to keep trying

The brass wall looks so thin it looks like you probably could run a tap in providing there's enough room to get a greased up short-length tap started. The thread would either 1/8 or 1/4 NPT; same size as the oil pressure sensor. Pipe thread taps are tapered so it should be easy to start.

28 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

The brass wall looks so thin it looks like you probably could run a tap in providing there's enough room to get a greased up short-length tap started. The thread would either 1/8 or 1/4 NPT; same size as the oil pressure sensor. Pipe thread taps are tapered so it should be easy to start.

I have taps and an excrator bit. They will go into the hole but I can't get a wrench, drill etc behind it because the motor mount is in the way. And I don't know how I would move that mount out of the way

Can you get a ratcheting box end wrench on the tap and just re-tap the hole threads?  Or extractor, may work, but I've never had much luck extracting rusted broken parts.   You could put a die on the new part to know what size the threads are!  Just a thought, worth a shot, maybe?

14 minutes ago, Swampy said:

I have taps and an excrator bit. They will go into the hole but I can't get a wrench, drill etc behind it because the motor mount is in the way. And I don't know how I would move that mount out of the way

Support the engine with a floor jack and pull the mount out piece by piece.

The pipe nipple extractors are low profile and you should just be able to pound one in and put a wrench on it.

Alternatively Snap-On sells some small extractors for not too much, Google search REX114A for an example.

The temperature sensor on top of the engine near the firewall is brass and hollow as well.  I accidentally snapped it off and was pretty much left with your situation in the picture below.  I was able to tap a short allen wrench into the hollow shell and the hex points were able to get enough bite in the brass to spin out what was left.   Good luck.

AqaY7od.jpg

Not that it helps you Swampy, but the HO engines have the oil pressure sensor mounted on the oil filter adapter; real easy to get to. Sometimes I think the Renix design engineers were a bunch of sadists.  :laugh:

OilFilter1.jpg.1b8350cb88c566fae7e1579dc30c01f6.jpg

2 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Not that it helps you Swampy, but the HO engines have the oil pressure sensor mounted on the oil filter adapter; real easy to get to. Sometimes I think the Renix design engineers were a bunch of sadists.  :laugh:

He has a 2.5L.  The Renix 4.0L has it in the same place as the HO.

7 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

when I invent that time machine I'll go back and remind then that just because it came out when new, doesn't mean that it'll do the same 30 years later.  :laugh:  I'll also suggest some key stainless steel items.  and coating the floor.  and some extra paint in the bedsides. and...

Long time ago I snapped off the MAT sensor flush with the intake manifold on my 2.5, much in the same way as your OPS there.  I ended up using a set of flat fluted extractors to get the remnants out.  I just pounded one into the remains and it spun right out using a small crescent wrench on the end of the extractor.  You might try one of those if all else fails.

Jeff

edit:  like these.....https://shop.tifco.com/Catalog/id/11836

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

OilFilter1.jpg.1b8350cb88c566fae7e1579dc30c01f6.jpg

Yeah I feel like they were 

So this is where I am at right now. I went to homedepot and bought the pipe nipple extractor set because they are shorter than the extractor I had. And I bought a new fitting being optimistic. But still no dice, the extractor set is perfect if I had enough room to hit it with my little hammer. So back to square one. I also tried to take the engine mount off but my ac compressor is in the way.

Just in case people need part numbers (optimism)

The brass fitting

00cFbqL.jpg

And some humor for my pain

xB9h9kz.jpg