questions about selling my jeeps

Lthompson741

Ok, long story short I've got to many toys.   The storage area is getting full, and I'm starting to feel like a hoarder.  Not to mention, the wife, friends and family have all made comments about my collection.  I'm trying to figure out which if any of my jeeps should be sold.    I kind of know which one I would list first but wanted to get a second or third opinion.  So I will list them out in no particular order and see what others think I should get rid off.  I'm not trying to sell anything thing here, just seeing if anyone has insite as to what they would get rid off.

1) 1992 XJ, 5 speed 4.0 4 door.

- Good: All new tune up parts, new gas tank, exhaust, ECM, battery.  Starts and runs like a top.   Would be an excellent candidate as a donor drivetrain.  Lifted 4.5 inches with newer tires and a newer clutch.

- Bad:  The rust, it was a snow plow for a good part of it's life, and the rockers and floor pans are going.  It is still solid and could be fixed.  I've acquired 4 matching rust free doors, and I have the ability to fix the rust.   The rear end is welded, and the rear leaf springs are shot.   It is not pretty by any means, but given a good wash it could look decent.  There are also no sway bars.   

- Notes:  The is the first jeep I owned, i've had it for going to 15 or 16 years I believe.  It in part started the sickness.  I haven't driven it on road in almost 10 years.  It's been trailered to off road parks mainly because of the above mentioned problems.    I hate the thought of finding it in a junk yard or seeing the roof hacked off and the subject of some you-tube video.   Hopefully if i would sell it, it would be to someone far away.  I know rusty XJ's aren't worth much, and it would most likely be beat to crap and junked instantly.

2) 1985 XJ 2.8L Auto 2 door

- Good:  It runs good, the A/c works and it's a rust free fully loaded with every option.  It is a unmolested survivor that is pretty neat to see.    

- Bad:  It leaks oil, the motor is a dog, and it doesn't like to sit.

- Notes:  I bought it a couple years ago, off of an older man, and bought it appreciating that it is a unmolested survivor.  It will never be taken off road or beaten on.

3) 1988 MJ elimiator, 4.0 auto $X$

- Good:  Its an MJ. it runs awesome, had new gas tank, and fuel injectors.  Everything seems to work.  Has a factory roll bar.

- Bad: Rust, it needs rockers bedsides and a paint job.  It cleans well, but you can tell is borderline a rust bucket.

- Notes:  I've owned it about a year it was a deal I couldn't pass up.  I re-did the fuel system, and got it running, as it was bound for the scrap yard.   You can see my build thread i've started here.  "Scrapyard save".  I've owned it about a year now, and haven't had the time or the funds to get it on the road yet.

Sorry for the wall of text.  Hopefully someone will chime in.    

Those are the only jeeps you have or only ones you're selling?
I have more than that at my house. Not counting what's at my parents.

But that is a tough call.
All would probably be stuff I would personally pass on but...I would start with trying to unload the 2.8. Then your first XJ. Then mj last.

Not really anything special or great. Just good stories behind them. I'm in the same situation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, krustyballer16 said:

Those are the only jeeps you have or only ones you're selling?
I have more than that at my house. Not counting what's at my parents.

But that is a tough call.
All would probably be stuff I would personally pass on but...I would start with trying to unload the 2.8. Then your first XJ. Then mj last.

Not really anything special or great. Just good stories behind them. I'm in the same situation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've also got 2 CJ5's but those are with my for the long run.

Yeah I know they are nothing special, just figured i'd give insight into them.    Apparently 5 jeeps is too many according to many people.  I had the 2.8 listed last year, and got a a lot of calls about it, and as soon as they realized the motor, it was a no-go.  It seems like I would have to find someone who understands that it is a decent stock XJ that is rust free in the rust belt.

Take the engine/driveline and other bits out of you 92 and put it in the 85.  Scrap the leftovers.  Or sell them both as is.

Either sell the MJ or commit to some sort of plan/timeline for repairing it if it's costing you money and you're not doing anything with it.  My 'extra' vehicles (MJ and a couple J-trucks) don't cost me anything to store, but it still bothers me that I have them and don't do anything with them.  Nobody wants that MJ, so I won't sell it, and of the J trucks only one is fixable and I've committed to making a project of it this year (will likely swap an XJ driveline in it because I have one and the 4.2 isn't original anyways and is worn out, and it has the Borg-Warner Quadratrac junk).

19 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Take the engine/driveline and other bits out of you 92 and put it in the 85.  Scrap the leftovers.  Or sell them both as is.

Either sell the MJ or commit to some sort of plan/timeline for repairing it if it's costing you money and you're not doing anything with it.  My 'extra' vehicles (MJ and a couple J-trucks) don't cost me anything to store, but it still bothers me that I have them and don't do anything with them.  Nobody wants that MJ, so I won't sell it, and of the J trucks only one is fixable and I've committed to making a project of it this year (will likely swap an XJ driveline in it because I have one and the 4.2 isn't original anyways and is worn out, and it has the Borg-Warner Quadratrac junk).

It's funny you should mention the swap as i'm researching it right now.   It seems like it would be a lot of work, but I do have a complete donor sitting in the back of storage unit.

As far as storage, I've a very nice storage unit that I can fit 4 jeeps in currently, and they are currently costing me money per say, but obviously I'm paying a storage fee.   The 85XJ is the only one that has plates and I do make it a point to drive it in the summer.   

I have friends that have all stated they would love to go halves with me on my storage unit, and put a four post lift in and make a mini shop so cleaning the unit out would save some $ for me in the long run.

I agree with dirty about the driveline swap.  Sacrifice the rust bucket to better the 2dr.  Then sell off parts, keep some for spares, and scrap the rest of the 92.  Honestly if you sold that 92, the buyer would pull the driveline and scrap it more than likely anyway.  After the swap, either keep or sell the 2dr and you could make a larger profit.  

5 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

Seeing how the 85 has a chevy engine in it already swap a vortec 4.8 or 5.3 into it.

that would necessitate an entire drivetrain swap.  I'm not sure if the OP is up for that level of effort.  :dunno:

Just now, FrankTheDog said:

Yeah, but the 84-86’s V6’s scream for that swap.

I’d like to see pics of that 85.

That doesn't mean it's any easier to do though...

Still debating the future of my own 86.  The original plan was the put a 4.8/5.3 in it, then I went and stuck it in my Gladiator...

On April 10, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Dzimm said:

I agree with dirty about the driveline swap.  Sacrifice the rust bucket to better the 2dr.  Then sell off parts, keep some for spares, and scrap the rest of the 92.  Honestly if you sold that 92, the buyer would pull the driveline and scrap it more than likely anyway.  After the swap, either keep or sell the 2dr and you could make a larger profit.  

I've thought about it, but it seems that it requires major surgery to complete.

On April 11, 2018 at 7:38 PM, FrankTheDog said:

Seeing how the 85 has a chevy engine in it already swap a vortec 4.8 or 5.3 into it.

I'm kinda looking towards the 3.4L swap as that seems the easiest.

On April 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM, FrankTheDog said:

I'll load up some pics of the 85 here in a little bit.

On April 11, 2018 at 7:49 PM, DirtyComanche said:

That doesn't mean it's any easier to do though...

Still debating the future of my own 86.  The original plan was the put a 4.8/5.3 in it, then I went and stuck it in my Gladiator...

Yeah there are all kinds of threads on engine swaps, I just don't know which way I would go.  And I need another huge project like i need a hole in my head.

On April 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM, FrankTheDog said:

Here is a couple of pics of the 85.   It's a Arizona Jeep it was repainted because of clear coat failing at one point, but is the factory color.   Everything works on it, even the A/C.

Edited by Lthompson741
picture didn't show up.....

That's a good looking 2 dr.   I'm curious about the black & silver rubber trim strips (above the rockers).   Are they original to that year?   I've been looking for a set for my '89 2 dr. and am having no luck (4 dr. yes - 2 dr. no).   Also curious about the spare tire carrier ... another hard to find item. 

15 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

That's a good looking 2 dr.   I'm curious about the black & silver rubber trim strips (above the rockers).   Are they original to that year?   I've been looking for a set for my '89 2 dr. and am having no luck (4 dr. yes - 2 dr. no).   Also curious about the spare tire carrier ... another hard to find item. 

Would be a miracle if you ever find them already cut. I did mine as detailed in this thread:

https://comancheclub.com/topic/54010-body-trim/?tab=comments#comment-550827

JUiJdig.jpg

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Would be a miracle if you ever find them already cut. I did mine as detailed in this thread:

https://comancheclub.com/topic/54010-body-trim/?tab=comments#comment-550827

JUiJdig.jpg

Yours looks great  :thumbsup:   and thanks for the link.   I really like the silver.   Rather than side track this thread I'll comment on my situation in the link you provided.   Thanks again. 

Probably correct Dirty. I had one on a 96 XJ I got when I lived in Guam. Didn't know if it was factory or aftermarket. I @$$umed it was factory at the time, but it looked a bit different than the one pictured on the 85.   :dunno: 

47 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Probably correct Dirty. I had one on a 96 XJ I got when I lived in Guam. Didn't know if it was factory or aftermarket. I @$$umed it was factory at the time, but it looked a bit different than the one pictured on the 85.   :dunno: 

The design changed when Chrysler showed up....  I actually think the one I had is the later style now that I'm thinking about it, I should check the pictures.  If I'm remembering right, early ones had the upper hinge mounted on the body like that, later ones were mounted entirely off the bumper.