2.5L Transmission Swap

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

oh so the broken trsnsmission will bolt up to that motor and miraculously start to work? My mistake I missed that part in a 3.4 swap.

Nowhere did the man say his transmission was broken

I want you to itemize each part for an ax15 swap starting from scratch and state a cost or price for each part I want to see where you're at with this

My AX15 swap was around $600 but i took my time and got good buys on most of it, that's not including drive shafts since i had to do them anyway and also going into a truck that already had a manual transmission to begin with.

It could easily cost a lot more.

A manual swap even on a worn out engine is going to be night and day.

An auto already saps more power than a manual but then on top of it the A904s gear ratios aren't all that great.
A904
1st 2.74,2nd 1.54,3rd 1.00
AX5 
1st 3.93,2nd 2.33,3rd 1.45,4th 1.00,5th .85
Kinda like driving around using only 2nd,3rd,and 4th gears.

I was going to say something similar yesterday. Kind of feel bad for the OP the way the thread changed.

Hey where is the OP located? I know of a 86 XJ with 2.5 not running with ax5 and np207. I wanted it for a project. But if he serious and close enough by it might be just the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like he is in Sandy Oregon, so somewhere out near me.

Oh, the jeep I’m thinking of is in Pensacola florida. Pretty much kills that idea. Even if I bought and sold him everything needed for less than the whole jeep cost , the cost of freight would be prohibitive.

If you don't have Jeep buddies, if you don't have a pile of parts, if you don't have Jeep buddies with piles of parts. 

From scratch, auto to manual. 

AX15- $550

Dakota bell- $225

Clutch- $125

Master/slave- $230

Pilot bushing- $10

Pedal assembly- $50

Flywheel- $60

Xmember- $20

Trans mount- $15

Trans mount plate- $20 (modify exhaust mount at plate) 

Shifter- $30

Shifter boot and bezel- $30

Drive shafts, if needed, mine cost- $575

Misc- fluids, speedo cable, seals.....anything that is unforeseen, nuts, bolts.......whatever............$50

Total- $1,990.00

Edit: my list neglected the TC, whether he needs one, one he has has a different spline count, whatever the need is.......add that too. 

I just realized that my old opinionated ways have been replaced by savee lol.

Look, Ncardwell, I get where you're at.

Tell you what, answerve a few questions.

What is the truck used for?  Dd?  Mild occasional wheeler?  

What are your driving habits?  Pedal stomper?  Sunday driver?  Keeps up with traffic?

What size tires are you running?  And with what gears?  2.5/auto equals 4.10 or (more likely) 4.56.

The answers greatly change the advice.

If I had a DD and wanted economy, I'd install a manual transmission for starters.  However, the best economy you will ever get with a 2.5 is less than a properly built 4.0 can get, and equal or less than the economy a 3.4 will get.

Manual transmission is the first direction I will lean.

After making that decision, the next question is "What can I get out of the 2.5?".  The answer?  Not your money's worth.

Being an 86, a 4.0 is not an easy or credibLe swap.  I'd advise to do a 3.4 swap.

Knowing that the ax4/ax5 does not react kindly to over 100hp, I'd also be looking for an external slave ax15 from any h.o. 4.0, and a 95+ dodge Dakota 2.5 bell housing.

Then, I'd look for a 5 speed donor among club members locally.  Preferably a 2.8/5 speed.

Now, if all of that isn't your bag, great.  You've made the real answer simple:

Find a good working ax5 from mid 90s xj, pedal assembly, master and external slave.  Then buy a renix 2.5 flywheel and clutch, and do the swap.  You may need drive shafts, crossmembers, etc...which is why I recommend a mid 90s xj as the donor.  

If you aren't going to do any engine swap, and never going to do upgrades to it, you will be satisfied with an ax5.

20 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Need to revise this a bit-

Only one listed on Ebay, none locally. These parts are getting harder and harder to find. 

Pedal assembly, $210 shipped. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/95-Jeep-XJ-clutch-pedal-assy/263519566858?hash=item3d5afd7c0a:g:OFYAAOSwPXBalB4s&vxp=mtr

Well, that didn't last long. Gone. 

When I junked some cars, empty hulls and a few projects that didn’t make it, one of the tow truck drivers keep making offers for my 85 XJ which was on another part of the property. He saw it when he came up to the house. He wanted it no matter what because it was a manual transmission, according to him it was impossible to find.

23 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

When I junked some cars, empty hulls and a few projects that didn’t make it, one of the tow truck drivers keep making offers for my 85 XJ which was on another part of the property. He saw it when he came up to the house. He wanted it no matter what because it was a manual transmission, according to him it was impossible to find.

He's dead wrong.

5 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

Probably, but I don’t think I’ve seen that many around here. Automatic are a dime a dozen and 4.0 paired with AW4 is a good match.

Out west I saw a lot more 5speeds.

What I mean is that 85 to 86, manuals were more common.  2.5s  manual is more common.

Not a ton of 5 speed xjs, but let's face reality:  a 2.8 is junk, and a 2.5 isn't desirable, so how useful is an 85 parts xj.  It's only good as parts to someone who needs it, such as you.

What I mean is that 85 to 86, manuals were more common.  2.5s  manual is more common.

Not a ton of 5 speed xjs, but let's face reality:  a 2.8 is junk, and a 2.5 isn't desirable, so how useful is an 85 parts xj.  It's only good as parts to someone who needs it, such as you.

Won’t argue with that. The point with this guy was it was a intact 5 speed with a lift. What he said he wanted to do was modify it for some local event. He didn’t ask what year or engine it had and wasn’t put off by the boat anchor for an engine.

Just now, Green Mesa XJ said:

Won’t argue with that. The point with this guy was it was a intact 5 speed with a lift. What he said he wanted to do was modify it for some local event. He didn’t ask what year or engine it had and wasn’t put off by the boat anchor for an engine.

Seems like a weird dude lol

Replying to JeepcoMJ,

I use my jeep as a DD and most of the time, I have to mash the gas just to get somewhat of acceleration, especially if I have impatient drivers behind, which in my case, is almost everyone. I'm running stock height on my jeep with 235 75r15 tires with 4.10 gearing. Also, I've heard that 3.4's were not that reliable, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

3.4 is the final rendition of the gm 2.8. Far as I know it’s pretty decent over all considering it’s such a small engine.

IMO the automatic is part of the problem. Ax5 with a 2.8 power house (jk) could chirp the tires 1&2, and did ok city except for steep hills with speed limits over 40. Could do ok on the hwy once (eventually) up to speed. BTW Was running 30.5 tires.

Maybe there’s a way to adjust the kick down on the automatic?

32 minutes ago, NCardwell said:

Replying to JeepcoMJ,

I use my jeep as a DD and most of the time, I have to mash the gas just to get somewhat of acceleration, especially if I have impatient drivers behind, which in my case, is almost everyone. I'm running stock height on my jeep with 235 75r15 tires with 4.10 gearing. Also, I've heard that 3.4's were not that reliable, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Start collecting ax5 parts, and do the swap.

I had an 86 2.5 xj, 4.10s with ax5.  Thing was loaded with every single option.  Great jeep, good mpg, and it could scoot rather well.

I think the automatics play it safe...shift point on the 2.5 should be around 3000 rpm, and the auto want's to do it at lower rpms, which is the issue.

Use a mid 90s ax5 as it uses the same master, slave, throw out bearing and plate as an external slave ax5.

8 hours ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

3.4 is the final rendition of the gm 2.8. Far as I know it’s pretty decent over all considering it’s such a small engine.

IMO the automatic is part of the problem. Ax5 with a 2.8 power house (jk) could chirp the tires 1&2, and did ok city except for steep hills with speed limits over 40. Could do ok on the hwy once (eventually) up to speed. BTW Was running 30.5 tires.

Maybe there’s a way to adjust the kick down on the automatic?

Do a little wiki. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_60°_V6_engine

25 year production run, numerous variants, something like 30 different models from 1/2 a dozen makers, including Isuzu. 

8 hours ago, NCardwell said:

Replying to JeepcoMJ,

Thanks.

TBI? Have you done anything to address engine performance? If so, what?

PIcs? 

Do you realize people run 10 second cars with a 904? that a 904 can, if built, handle 550-650 HP? Not only is a manual valve body available, so is a reverse manual VB. 

In nearly 8 years now, I've seen 1 XJ with a 4x4 904 and you have the 3rd MJ I'm aware of with the 4x4 904. They are that rare.  

You need to do some reading, study, realize what you have and what you can do with it. 

Jeep people give you patent Jeep answers, this is one you need to think through. And no, what you heard about the 3.4 is wrong. 

Do a little wiki. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_60°_V6_engine

25 year production run, numerous variants, something like 30 different models from 1/2 a dozen makers, including Isuzu. 

Bad link. And your point is what exactly?
RWD iron head the 3.4 in the Camaro is the direct descendant and final incarnation of the GM 2.8, almost bolt per bolt. If you want to bring up aluminum head FWD it’s a completely different can of worms and not really the same engine as the original GM design.
The new gm 2.8 I4 they share with Isuzu has nothing to do with the old late 70s design.

2 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

Bad link. And your point is what exactly?
RWD iron head the 3.4 in the Camaro is the direct descendant and final incarnation of the GM 2.8, almost bolt per bolt. If you want to bring up aluminum head FWD it’s a completely different can of worms and not really the same engine as the original GM design.
The new gm 2.8 I4 they share with Isuzu has nothing to do with the old late 70s design.

It's not a bad link. 

I said nothing about an I4 with Isuzu...........jeesh............man

Look it up yourself. 

It's not a bad link. 

I said nothing about an I4 with Isuzu...........jeesh............man

Look it up yourself. 

So I got to get a screen capture to show you the link doesn’t work?

Original 2.8 final edition as originally produced is for the Camaro & Firebird 3.4, freaking FWD that shared initial block design are far beyond and different generations from the iron head designs are unusable in these vehicles without a ton of fabrication.

The 3400 engine has the same bellhousing bolt pattern and was based on the 60 deg block but is not the same engine from the 1980s.

I don’t know why you are intent on nitpicking a moot point to start a fight.

I have TBI and have done nothing to my engine, all stock. Also I'm not planning on running 10 seconds at the drag strip with my tranny, I’m just looking for a better alternative. I know what transmissions are capable of it’s just what you said was that I was 1 of 3 mj’s with the 904. There’s my issue, it’s rare, and I have had very difficult time trying to find parts, which in most cases I never find. On the other hand, the Ax5 has parts somewhat readily available. Also, from what my grandma has said(she bought it brand new in ‘86) that she’s had to replace the tranny multiple times and I don’t really want to go through that.