Cherokee Cluster reprogram!

Sir Sam

Learning is fun!

Other than attempting to commit fraud, is there any legit reason someone would want to do this? It would be kind of neat if you completely restored and rebuilt a car from the ground up with a new engine and all and then set the odometer back to zero. 

4 hours ago, Jargon said:

Learning is fun!

Other than attempting to commit fraud, is there any legit reason someone would want to do this? It would be kind of neat if you completely restored and rebuilt a car from the ground up with a new engine and all and then set the odometer back to zero. 

There are tones of legitimate reasons to do this other than to intentionally defraud someone during a vehicle sale.

In my case I am planning to set to zero for my MJ build. It's basically a total rebuild with all different parts. Really the only thing thats staying from the original MJ is the body, bed, and tail lights. I'm doing a 2001 XJ interior swap, jeep 2500 exterior, rear axle from an 05 KJ, and my biggest deal of all, a ZERO mile factory diesel engine.

And since its something I'm keeping for myself I feel completely justified setting the odometer at Zero for my MJ build. But more on that later.

And: Colorado considers any vehicle over ten years old to be "Not actual mileage" and doesn't care about the odometer after that point.

I'll be working on a video today showing how to do this as part of a repair, I have a cluster where the right half of the gauges failed, and how you would program your junkyard replacement to match your old failed cluster.

The other reason you might like this is if you were upgrading from the idiot light cluster to the full cluster, you would want your replacement cluster to match your idiot light cluster.

7 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Didn't know you were doing the 2500 exterior - must have missed that. All parts in hand?

Yes. Though I don't think I am going to try and do all the body cladding the 2500 has, and I think I will go with a custom steel front bumper, and then figure out the flare situation.

Look back at my build thread to like 2008, early pages, I have photos of the parts from then, been keeping them in storage for years. I got spares of some things too.

3 hours ago, rokinn said:

When I swapped in a full gauge cluster and reset the odometer to reflect the actual mileage on the original I checked the Colorado statutes.  It is only illegal when there is an attempt to defraud.

I think most people would say it only becomes an issue when someone is doing it in an attempt to defraud.

I took video of the process I used, I have a cluster where half the gauges have failed, I showed how to clone the original and load it to the new cluster. Gotta edit it and get it online.

6 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

I think most people would say it only becomes an issue when someone is doing it in an attempt to defraud.

I took video of the process I used, I have a cluster where half the gauges have failed, I showed how to clone the original and load it to the new cluster. Gotta edit it and get it online.

Every state is different.  Some states require a certified paper trail of mileage.  Just saying, you and your build don't have a problem in CO per state statute.:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Jargon said:

Learning is fun!

I would have loved to do this twice now and for legitimate reasons. 

- On my XJ I replaced the idiot lights with a full gauge cluster and obviously the mileage was innacurate, though I was lucky it was only up 14k miles almost exactly so it's easy enough to keep track of.  In reality here, it's more fraudulent not to set the cluster back the extra mileage. 

- My MJ is a full 97+ swap with a dash and engine coming from different XJs so the mileage isn't accurate.  I however don't know the true mileage of the engine so zeroing it out after my build would have been nice to keep track of the miles I have put on it.  In this case it isn't the original engine anyways so the mileage should already be assumed innacurate. 

8 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I would have loved to do this twice now and for legitimate reasons. 

- On my XJ I replaced the idiot lights with a full gauge cluster and obviously the mileage was innacurate, though I was lucky it was only up 14k miles almost exactly so it's easy enough to keep track of.  In reality here, it's more fraudulent not to set the cluster back the extra mileage. 

- My MJ is a full 97+ swap with a dash and engine coming from different XJs so the mileage isn't accurate.  I however don't know the true mileage of the engine so zeroing it out after my build would have been nice to keep track of the miles I have put on it.  In this case it isn't the original engine anyways so the mileage should already be assumed innacurate. 

If you like send me your clusters and I will program them to correct the miles and vin number. 

16 hours ago, jpdriver1 said:

thanks 

6 hours ago, Alexia said:

Got you covered, Sam.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sIKk8UCQyk[/media]

Well, I'm a little late, by either hours or years depending on how you look at it, but I uploaded my video last night:

This is my next project, its the TJ cluster I am using for my MJ, I had to order some more equipment for this unit. The 02-06 TJ and 02-07 KJ similar years of WJ have no external eeprom, so the method is a little different.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

Good stuff, fellas.  I enjoyed both the photos and the video tutorial.

I've been tinkering around at the office with CAN bus and Modbus on a new product line we're launching and gained enough knowledge to be dangerous.  Haven't gone as far as to start messing around with CAN bus on any of my project vehicles, but I'd like to get there at some point.

Have either of you done anything with the CAN bus network on the XJs?

14 hours ago, terrawombat said:

Good stuff, fellas.  I enjoyed both the photos and the video tutorial.

I've been tinkering around at the office with CAN bus and Modbus on a new product line we're launching and gained enough knowledge to be dangerous.  Haven't gone as far as to start messing around with CAN bus on any of my project vehicles, but I'd like to get there at some point.

Have either of you done anything with the CAN bus network on the XJs?

No can bus on XJs. It's Chrysler CCD, however Alexia a while back post some info in converting canbus to CCD so we could keep the stock gauges in XJs or TJ running an aftermarket ecu or engine swap with a canbus ecu. 

My diesel ecu supports canbus, but was primarily meant to work with Chrysler PCI bus. 

The newer TJs use PCI bus so I am using that tj cluster in my XJ dash for the swap. 

Can is a useful proticol. We use it in industrials controls often. automotive can is a little different than industrials controls, but it all works the same really. 

Thanks for the clarification.  After reading your response that jarred my memory about the many hours I spent on the internet researching their proprietary language, but I really didn't retain much (if anything) knowledge from all of my reading since I didn't have a fundamental understanding of how those two-wire networks actually functioned.

At my office we primarily deal with Modbus on our products as we don't see too many of our customers utilizing CAN, except if their facilities are located outside of the US - then it's all we see.

We use CAN mostly for distributed IO communications. Modbus we see at higher level integration between different sub systems and master control. EG plant DCS/BOP and a VFD controller, pump controller, or primer mover governor. 

Industrial CAN open its a little harder to setup between different manufacturers devices, so you mostly see modbus or OPC as the interface protocols.