Annual registration

mattbuch96

This is interesting. Here in Ohio my Comanche costs me $66/year for registration.   This fee can vary by location as each county can add their own taxes.

Ohio has an insurance law but it is toothless when registering.   Upon registering each year you simply have to check a box stating that you are insured . You do not have to show proof of insurance to get your renewal. If you are stopped by the police or are in an accident and can't show proof then you can get a license suspension. If you get caught driving on such a suspension then your car can be impounded..

In PA we have annual registration for the title and tags which runs $38.00.  In 2017 they stopped issuing new yearly stickers for the tag, citing cost savings and the fact that LE now identifies out-of-date registrations with their computers.  We also have an annual safety inspection here in every county, and annual emissions in supporting counties for all OBDII and newer vehicles.  That runs $59.00.

7 hours ago, Incommando said:

This is interesting. Here in Ohio my Comanche costs me $66/year for registration.   This fee can vary by location as each county can add their own taxes.

Ohio has an insurance law but it is toothless when registering.   Upon registering each year you simply have to check a box stating that you are insured . You do not have to show proof of insurance to get your renewal. If you are stopped by the police or are in an accident and can't show proof then you can get a license suspension. If you get caught driving on such a suspension then your car can be impounded..

In California, insurance companies comunicate directly to DMV.  No insurance, your registration is suspended till you buy insurance and pay a fee to the DMV.

My nephew did not pay his registration and after 6 months and 5 tickets, got his motor home impounded. Oh, also no insurance.

Then asks me to pay the $2000 to get it out of impound.  Both his mom and I told him no, he screwed up and needs to deal with it himself.

He is a 33 year old adult.  Sorry for the personnel crap.

California seems like a bizarre place, in regards to car regulation.

I've heard that if you leave a vehicle unregistered they will continue to maintain the registration and then make you pay for it before you can register it again... what the actual hell. But then when you buy a car there's no obligation to register it immediately before driving on the road and there's no real enforcement preventing you from just driving like that... forever. 

Are either of these things true?

I've heard that if you leave a vehicle unregistered they will continue to maintain the registration and then make you pay for it before you can register it again... what the actual hell. But then when you buy a car there's no obligation to register it immediately before driving on the road and there's no real enforcement preventing you from just driving like that... forever. 

Yes. It’s awful. I’ve known people driving with dealer plates for over a year lol

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

8 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

If you just ignore the annual registration, yes you will have to pay all the back registration fees and penalties when you decide to register the car again.  BUT if you plan on taking the car off the road for a few years , for $21 you can file a Planned NonOperation, before your current registration expires.  You can also file for a Planned NonOperation up to 3 months after the last registration expires.  But not after that.

If you buy a car from a new or used car dealer, the dealer will charge you for the registration and make sure the paper work is filed with the DMV.  However, if you buy a car from a private party, the buyer is required to notify the DMV within something like 10 days.  Sometimes buyers don't bother to tell the DMV.  So California has a form for the seller to fill out, saying I sold this cart to "gogmorgo" on this date.  So yes, the new buyer could just drive the car till he gets stopped for a ticket.  Many dead beat drivers will steal the current registration sticker from another car's plates.  This works till you get stopped and don't have a current registration.

My nephew drove his motorhome for 6 months without paying registration, but then he got a ticket and his car impounded.  So you can drive for ever if the cops don't pull you over for no current tags.  But after 6 months with no tags - you will be walking home when the cop pulls you over.