Haulin MJs, here to there and back

krustyballer16

Probably won't have time to go to junkyards. And there really isn't anything I need... I'll be getting of stuff from Bo, lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Really wish you had more time to get a taste of CA. It’s a beautiful state so really try to take as much as you can in. Get out of the car and taste the ocean and touch the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really wish you had more time to get a taste of CA. It’s a beautiful state so really try to take as much as you can in. Get out of the car and taste the ocean and touch the rocks.

I liked it when I was there in 2016. Drove from Scottsdale to Palm springs then route 1 from Laguna beach to long beach. It was nice. But I'm not much of an ocean or beach person.

Like to hit up some antique stores lol

Filters are new. Tranny should be good. Only 32,000 miles on the truck. But I may pick up new fuel filters just to keep with me.
I need to get my spare out this weekend and check it and make sure I know how to lower it from under the truck.

Glad you truck in good shape. Your main issue is going to be the grind and staying alert. Things are going to work out just fine.

Glad you truck in good shape. Your main issue is going to be the grind and staying alert. Things are going to work out just fine.

No my truck sucks. Lol. Bought it brand new and it's had electrical issues since day one. But mechanically it's good. The Cummins runs great, it's just the Ram side that's junk.

I liked it when I was there in 2016. Drove from Scottsdale to Palm springs then route 1 from Laguna beach to long beach. It was nice. But I'm not much of an ocean or beach person.

Like to hit up some antique stores lol

I’m not to big on ocean myself. I’m 4hrs from the Sierras so that’s my playground.

13 hours ago, krustyballer16 said:

Energy drinks don't do anything for me I can drink a monster and go straight to bed.
I drink mt dew a lot, I know, not good.
Think caffeine pills would still work?
And I don't like gas station food really.
But love beef jerky!
And I'm sure with her being pregnant, there will be tons of healthy snacks packed.

Like I said, the way caffeine works is it stops you from feeling tired, but it doesn't wake you up if you already are. If you're doing something to wake you back up its already too late for caffeine to help.

The way it was explained to me is that everything your body does produces a "tiredness" chemical, and your brain has receivers for it, and as more of it finds its way into the receivers and activates them, the more tired you'll feel. Caffeine finds its way into the receivers without activating them, blocking the "tired". But if you're already tired, the receivers are already full, so the caffeine can't do much. It only preserves the state you were in when you started taking caffeine. So don't use caffeine in Jersey. (Hahaha I'm so funny) so yeah. If I've been awake for 30 hours I can take a handful of caffeine pills then still sleep for ten hours. An energy drink might give me an extra half-hour or so in the evening but it's too little too late at that point. Keeping up with caffeine means a steady influx of it through the day, and putting up with the side effects of prolonged consumption of it. Coffee dehydrates you and is a diuretic, energy drinks are loaded with so much nasty that your body go nuts getting rid of it (the can will say no more than two per day), plus the steady influx of liquid gives you more reasons to pull over. Caffeine pills don't come with as many negative side effects. They're also much cheaper, around $10 for a bottle of 100 up here, with each one being about equivalent to a cup of coffee. 

But it's totally up to you. You may want to experiment before hand to see how they affect you before you're driving. I'll also state that they're no substitute for actual sleep, and that it's difficult to judge the effect something has on you when the effect is that something doesn't happen. 

I usually get them from a pharmacy, some of them keep them behind the counter. Might be different rules south of the 49th tho I guess. You might also want to check out the literature that goes with those, I've never seen them sold as "all day" so I'm not really sure what to expect from them. 

I usually get them from a pharmacy, some of them keep them behind the counter. Might be different rules south of the 49th tho I guess. You might also want to check out the literature that goes with those, I've never seen them sold as "all day" so I'm not really sure what to expect from them. 
I took them 6 hours ago and feel Nothing. Boo.

If your working 13hr days then your body should be use to putting in long stretches. Just think of it as putting in 3 13hr days in a row. That should you close if not to the destination. Its better if that last day is short as possible. I’ve driven it strait through a few times and that is rough. I’ll never do that again just to dicey. The shortest was 26 hr and that was out of KC.

If your working 13hr days then your body should be use to putting in long stretches. Just think of it as putting in 3 13hr days in a row. That should you close if not to the destination. Its better if that last day is short as possible. I’ve driven it strait through a few times and that is rough. I’ll never do that again just to dicey. The shortest was 26 hr and that was out of KC.

The length won't be bad, it's the time of day...I work 3pm to 4am. Half th or driving will be before that. Couple hours will b before I usually even getup lol

well, that brings up another tidbit from my experience.  for super-long drives by myself (it's 12 hours between GA and MI) I try reeeeal hard not to ever drive outside of my normal awake period.  If I show up late at night, so be it. :D better than driving tired.   

holy crap I forgot all about that aspect!  last time I drove to CO I actually pulled off the freeway for 30 minutes to let the sun set because the road pointed exactly at the blinding orb.  :crazy:  

I wear yellow safety glasses at night and that seems to help my eyes with on coming lights. Really cuts down on my eye fatigue and headaches. You got all these road warriors giving you ideas but we just want you to make the trip with O problems.

first part of the trip done! 1000 mile round trip up to Michigan and back to my house this weekend to get John's truck.
Went smooth. Got "16.5" mpg up there with an empty trailer and "13.5" mpg on the way back with the truck.
Temperature was about 15* colder up there. bce239491202b0e60d6d0d4387f9aa9b.jpgc30ae79165c4e294e04c6f4fcdf112fd.jpg775e30fa2fd6f28c49c8a6e012677cbc.jpg5df871d956403256453fd1960b5ee97e.jpg6cf4e4edb1289a56250b995b5f0f7f12.jpg

Wow, only 13.5 mpg with the Dodge Diesel???     I got that same number towing on a dolly from Vancouver to Michigan with the 91 Comanche.  Does the snow/bad weather kill the mpg??

Looks like the truck is in for its first WARM/Dry night in a while.  Good to see you are home safe.  Thanks.

That's right about what I get with towing with my MJ as well, whether it was 3000lbs or 4500lbs. The difference is that the Cummins will get that with 10,000lbs behind it too and it's unwise to try that with an MJ...

Once you're up on the highway it's more about aerodynamics, at least until you come to a hill. Trailers mostly end up too far behind a small vehicle to have much drafting benefit, so it's pretty much twice the drag. 

11 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Does the snow/bad weather kill the mpg??

diesels do not like the cold. :(   My liberty drops at least 10-15mpg if it's below freezing outside. 

doesn't help that the grille/fan arrangement up front doesn't lend itself to an easy covering for the radiator.  :fistshake2: