Haulin MJs, here to there and back

krustyballer16

Some of you may know that at the end of February ill be driving from my house in Cory, IN to 29 Palms California to pick up Black Betty from Bo, shelvyluvv. I'm buying the truck and trailering her 2000 miles home!

And since I'd have an empty trailer headed out there, I talked John Jackson, johnj, into letting me haul his TDI swapped MJ from Michigan out to Bo's house for him to pick up a few weeks later.

Should be a fun trip. My pregnant girlfriend will be tagging along and we plan to stop in Vegas along the way or on the way back.

Probably be stopping in Texas somewhere for the night but not sure after that. We won't really have a lot of time to do a whole lot except drive.

Is there anywhere that anybody suggests we stop at on our way?

Once we get to Bo's we'll drop the trailer and drive to LA. Then up to panamint springs resort for the night to see my new Comanche buddy Noah bricker and to drop off his rear bumper I built him.

I'm excited but it'll be stressful.

Any pointers for the drive or visits?

If anybody is looking for custom CJ/YJ bumpers or a MJ hitch let me know and I you're along my route, I can drop it off with you. Looking to sell the bumper set up

4e27f15c03070ba4b8d52bf50b91e8fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

fixed it for ya.

man, as much as I'd like to suggest the route through colorado (epic mountain views!), the highway passes in February can be... challenging.  like towchains-legally-required type of challenging if the weather turns south.  :(  

if you haven't seen the grand canyon, I'd highly suggest it. :D  

fixed it for ya.

man, as much as I'd like to suggest the route through colorado (epic mountain views!), the highway passes in February can be... challenging.  like towchains-legally-required type of challenging if the weather turns south.    

if you haven't seen the grand canyon, I'd highly suggest it.   

Thanks !That was my original plan, Colorado. But weather killed that idea.

And we were gonna go to the grand canyon but it's out of the way and will burn up a day of Cali time so we decided against it.

We're probably not gonna know where well stop at every night. Depends on how far I can drive. It's just me she can't pull a trailer.

out of the way?!  one of the prettiest sights you'll ever see is only an hour off of I-40. :driving:  that's less drive time than going to IKEA from here and my folks seem to do that every few months (and it's not nearly as pretty).   :laugh:

it doesn't have to be a whole day.  the best hour of time on the rim is your first one.  :D   just leave after that.  (admittedly there is a TON of activities there, but I doubt your girl is up for much hiking.  how pregnant is she?)

Also consider if you drove through Colorado you would be very close to moab when you passed through Utah. Maybe consider taking i70 one way and i40 the other?

moab is a good place to go through arches national park and some other things. I realize the weather can be intimidating but everyone who lives here deals with it fine. 

That's insane dedication from both of you. A girl willing to do that and pregnant at the same time. Wow you better have a ring on it and treat her good. Just out of curiosity, did I sell you a tailgate a while back?
Insane dedication to drive that far for an MJ? It was a deal I couldn't pass up and it's a chance to meet new people!
And she is awesome. But this trip has been planned for a year so we were going pregnant or not lol.
And nope, I haven't bought any tailgates....you in Indiana?

Also consider if you drove through Colorado you would be very close to moab when you passed through Utah. Maybe consider taking i70 one way and i40 the other?

moab is a good place to go through arches national park and some other things. I realize the weather can be intimidating but everyone who lives here deals with it fine. 
All this would be fine to do normally, but I don't wanna bbe pulling a loaded trailer around everywhere. Especially on the way there with John's truck on the trailer.

1 hour ago, krustyballer16 said:

All this would be fine to do normally, but I don't wanna bbe pulling a loaded trailer around everywhere. Especially on the way there with John's truck on the trailer.

Meh, you'd be right next to people towing 5th wheels and camper trailers if you drove through canyonlands and island in the sky.

Here is some motivation for things to see in Moab, most of this video is accessible off the paved roads:

:yeahthat:  oh, I absolutely agree with Sam about you needing to take a trip to colorado/utah,  :grinyes:  but given the particular month in which you're driving ... I personally wouldn't risk it.  way too much on the line sitting next to you.  :thumbsup: