Heck, you don't need a lift to clear 31s on an XJ, and the XJ has smaller rear wheel wells than the MJ. This was extremely well researched and documented years ago by one of the guys in NAXJA (whose name I regret to admit I have forgotten). My '88 XJ is sitting on 31s with no lift right now.

Looking into it more the less and less I suspect the "old knowledge" is true, at least not any more. The more common tire sizes are getting wider, and tread blocks are moving further outwards onto the shoulder of the tire, making them

behave as though they are even wider than they are so even the same sizes that used to fit may not any more. The 235/75/15 Hercules Terra II's on my MJ don't rub my lower control arms, but the more aggressive Grabber AT2's I had before them did, which supposedly should only stick 1/4" further out than the factory tires. For someone like me who needs to drive in snow pretty regularly, I don't want to go any wider than 10.5", but my selection of tires that'll behave in snow is pretty limited if I want to go beyond a 31" diameter. In fact there's only the KO2 out there in a 33x10.5, and I have those on my Jimmy and don't really care that much for them. Ideally I'd have a 32x10.5 but no one makes anything in that size that would handle winter... If you want a 32" they're all 11.5 wide now, 33's are all 12.5.

This is true. 15" "skinny" tires like 31x9.5 and 32x10.5 don't exist anymore for anything except off-road mud tires made by manufacturers like Dick Cepek and Mickey Thomson. At least I can't find any. There seems to be a lot of demand for these sizes too...

Ever driven mud tires on ice? :rotfl2:

Hitting the highway's like throwing a curling rock... except you can steer those if you're good with a broom. 

11 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Looking into it more the less and less I suspect the "old knowledge" is true, at least not any more. The more common tire sizes are getting wider, and tread blocks are moving further outwards onto the shoulder of the tire, making them

behave as though they are even wider than they are so even the same sizes that used to fit may not any more. The 235/75/15 Hercules Terra II's on my MJ don't rub my lower control arms, but the more aggressive Grabber AT2's I had before them did, which supposedly should only stick 1/4" further out than the factory tires. For someone like me who needs to drive in snow pretty regularly, I don't want to go any wider than 10.5", but my selection of tires that'll behave in snow is pretty limited if I want to go beyond a 31" diameter. In fact there's only the KO2 out there in a 33x10.5, and I have those on my Jimmy and don't really care that much for them. Ideally I'd have a 32x10.5 but no one makes anything in that size that would handle winter... If you want a 32" they're all 11.5 wide now, 33's are all 12.5.

If that's really what you need, then why not move up to a 16" wheel? Something like the TJ Moab in 16x8.  There are dozens of options available in 265/75R16, which is esentially 32x10.5.  Even dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks.

16 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Ever driven mud tires on ice? :rotfl2:

Hitting the highway's like throwing a curling rock... except you can steer those if you're good with a broom. 

Mud tires suck on everything, except mud.  :D  I ran a set of BFG MT's for awhile until the tread wore down and the tires started whining/screaming on the pavement. It drove me nuts........

I decided to not to do the lift kit instead I went for coil spring spacers to do about 1” lift in the front. Also I change my mind about the combo because you can buy just the wheels now.