92 Comanche pipe-dream come true.

So, I replaced the ignition with some quality stuff, it came to me with some el-cheapo stuff that always made the truck stumble bad on cold starts, and on long grades if you were labouring the truck any little bit it would hiccup every now and then. placed a order to summit and replaced it all with: MSD Blaster coil, Taylor 8.0mm sprial wires, Davis Unified Ignition cap and rotor, and a set of Champion coppers, also replaced the air filter with  Specter high-flow one since i was there. 

0139WVj.jpg

N86wk8F.jpg

Red stuff means my comanche is BASICALLY a race-jeep now right? 

omxJYvH.jpg

pwMIvsu.jpg

Also found out the old subwoofer from my BMW fit behind the seat perfectly! Now i just gotta get off my lazy butt and wire it up, but i wanna run all the wires under the carpet to keep things tidy. 

7oPrEyQ.jpg

Next modifications will be new 4 hole injectors, and a 62mm Throttlebody. and with the upgraded iginition, I've managed to bump my MPG from 14, up to 17! so here's hoping as I keep adding stuff I can manage to get that number to my goal, which is 20.  

And tomorrow, my CV axles will be in, I blew up a U-joint going up my dads muddy driveway (first time I've ever blown one in my 6 years of driving) I decided to go with CV's because I don't do much off-roading, and the most "offfroad" my MJ sees is either the backyard, or a snow-storm. plus I've always hated the jerk from the steering wheel while turning in 4x4. I got a really good deal on some new ones, so I figured I may as-well try them. 

Zc3YGrZ.jpg

I had one of those MSD Blaster coils for awhile; it only lasted about six months before the primary windings shorted out. I attributed it to engine heat  because mounting the it on the side of the block with no insulation to protect it was less than ideal. Consider moving it to a cooler location to extend it's life, like to the shock tower.

WrWlYl0.jpg

https://comancheclub.com/topic/51677-9192-mj-premature-ignition-coil-failure-fix-relocation/?tab=comments#comment-526360

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

I had one of those MSD Blaster coils for awhile; it only lasted about six months before the primary windings shorted out. I attributed it to engine heat  because mounting the it on the side of the block with no insulation to protect it was less than ideal. Consider moving it to a cooler location to extend it's life, like to the shock tower.

I'll have to do that when I get home from my trip to ontario, is that bracket just on any I6 ZJ? or would I have to special order it?

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that I'm back from my trip to Toronto, I stayed a week in halifax where I picked up a temporary bed-liner, just a peice of rubber mat that fills between the wheel wheels just perfect, and a few other odds and ends, small stuff not worth typing out lol.  though,  I would decide to leave just as a snow storm was starting. 

CtSih7m.jpg

I just stuck er' in 4 high and burbled along at 60kmh from halifax until New Glasgow (about 200km, 124 mi) Some spots I was forced to pass people in the snowed in Passing lane, some spots were over my bumper, but Nomad just kept chugging along. didnt get hot, didnt complain, did exactly what I built it for. 

NKoSIbX.jpg

LWR3mJq.jpg

Then it was right back to work with spring cleaning, and since my MJ isnt a show-princess, it still gets used for truck-ly duties. 

J4D8f3t.jpg

cPNrSWg.jpg

And when that was over, I gave it a real good cleaning and enjoyed the next few sunny days we had just cruising around

9B92NSR.jpg

"Urban wheelin"

rbdkag2.jpg

vJbic3M.jpg

(Ignore the tire shine on one side, I ran out after doing two tires lmao)

Standing tall like the loyal rig it's been. 25,000kms (15534 mi)  since October and not one single issue.

7vBNbVE.jpg

Oh and also, the flowmaster 10's loudness finally wore off. Replaced it with a Thrush turbo, I can actually hear myself think now! ... and the cracked manifold. so looks like I'll be looking into headers now.

uTai5Bo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got some nice wheels for nomad, 15 x 8 American Racing gamblers for $200!  I'll have to take a day to polish them up really good though

2JsDqJo.jpg

U85TGg9.jpg

3NrKIij.jpg

uIP5VUB.jpg

Just Ordered some new injectors and a bigger throttle body, hopefully to give him back some prep. seems to have developed a dead-spot through the rev range, which I'm hoping is just a sticky injector (would also explain the slight hard starting to) 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I do believe by the end of summer this project is going to take a drastic turn. I love how my Comanche sits now.... BUT...  I'm too scared to do -anything- with it, and I don't want that. 

So.. what does that mean?, Well Nomad will be going less "show truck" and more "go truck" This plan involves:

4.5" lift, Using Full leaf-packs (General spring or Rustys I guess?...) , Rubicon express super-flex arms, and Metal Cloak Dual rate 4.5" coils. 

ARB bush bumper with 8.500 winch, and my KC's will be moved to there

33 x 10.50 R15 BFG AT tires

Custom rear bumper with D-ring points, hitch, and wrap around bed protection

Rock rails

a "arb" *cough* ebay *cough* Snorkel (Will trim tape the upper bracket to the A-pillar instead of rivits) 

A Comanche specific topper if I can find one. 

And finally a Re-gear to 4:10s with a rear LSD. 

Does this mean I'm gunna go out and absolutely destroy it? No. 

I want something I can take out on sunday runs, off-road and have fun with, The paint is actually alot worse in person than in pictures, Clear has spots completely missing, and numerous BIG paint chips right to metal. 

Plus, alot of the modifications are either A. beneficial to its performance, or B. easily reversed. 

Also, the most recent picture I've taken as of three days ago: 

N4iMKLD.jpg

And my plan I'm going for (besides paint)

xhT6WqF.jpg

yYmu5bg.jpg

On 5/22/2018 at 7:08 PM, JimmysJeep said:

Looking good! Hope you can get it out on the road soon!

its been on the road since october ,Its my daily driver for now. until I get a more suited DD car lol

• 9 months later...

No real updates, but thought I'd chime in with some pictures of the MJ I forgot to post.  School's had me flat out since the end of summer. 

QO8tfY1.jpg

All tucked away for winter this year, No salty snowy roads from here on out for my MJ. 

uqXFpra.jpg

My "new" tacoma has taken over daily driver/winter dutys. 

LnpZKuI.jpg

And just a comparison of where my comanche started and a year later.

Ippobg3.jpg

ngi4ME7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I hate to break it to you, but you have rust bubbling on your cab corner right behind

the rocker.

I am aware of this, truck will hopefully be going out for paint/body work at the end of this summer if funds allow for it. that and a tiny spot in the same spot on the other side are the only two hints of rust.

Kinda why the tacoma took over daily driver dutys and the comanche is spending all winter in a nice cushy garage 

1 hour ago, foxboy633 said:

I am aware of this, truck will hopefully be going out for paint/body work at the end of this summer if funds allow for it. that and a tiny spot in the same spot on the other side are the only two hints of rust.

Kinda why the tacoma took over daily driver dutys and the comanche is spending all winter in a nice cushy garage 

Ok. Just wanted to make sure you were aware. Are you going with white again?

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

Ok. Just wanted to make sure you were aware. Are you going with white again?

yup, It'll be painted the same white, with color matched grille and the Eliminator striping/decals.  might keep the black pin-stripes aswell just to break up the colors a bit. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:09 AM, 89 MJ said:

I hate to break it to you, but you have rust bubbling on your cab corner right behind

the rocker.

Thats unfortunate. But we couldn't have warned him any harder if we tried.  Looks like he's having fun though, which is what matters most. :L:

Great progress on the before and after shots!  When it goes in for paint might be a good idea to have them lift off the bed and rustoleum the frame rails and underside of the cab to save you future headaches.

Thanks for sharing your build! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the story of how you acquired it. Your story is similar to how I found mine, from traveling far to get it to bringing it back to live on an island. Congrats on following your gut and making it happen. I’m sure your comanche thanks you for giving it a good home:) Here’s to island Comanches 🍻

On 3/23/2019 at 2:46 PM, DesertRat1991 said:

Thats unfortunate. But we couldn't have warned him any harder if we tried.  Looks like he's having fun though, which is what matters most. :L:

Great progress on the before and after shots!  When it goes in for paint might be a good idea to have them lift off the bed and rustoleum the frame rails and underside of the cab to save you future headaches.

I assure you  the underside is just as shiney as the top. truck was undercoated with 4 gallons of fluid-film undercoating prior to seeing the road last winter. 
1nSps2O.jpg

I'll grab some better pictures once I pull it out of storage 

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

yes, but our trucks rot from the inside-out.  you need to coat the inside of the frame, rockers, doors, etc.  the surfaces you see are not the parts that fail first. :(  its sad, but true.

Inside was coated aswell, we used a special wand we made up with rubber hose, and a piece of brake line, slits were cut at all different angles so it would spray in a 360 degree radius then we clamped off the end of the tube so it would be forced to spray through the slits. 

That with about 4 feet of rubber hose gave us enough length to throughly coat the inside of the frame rails, rockers, behind the fenders, and behind the flares. 

I'm well aware of how bad these trucks rust out and took every single measure I could to prevent rust. The bubbles on the cab corner were there when I purchased the truck. 

I mean, I went through 3/4 of a 5 gallon pail of fluid flim undercoating this truck... lol  Overkill is a understatement