On 11/27/2018 at 9:32 AM, mjeff87 said:

I'm still waiting for one of those OEM bars to show up in the junkyard one day.  There was one KJ that had one, but it was snatched before I got to it.

so this is apparently a thing in the world.  a generic KJ lightbar.  :L:  although that stock photo kinda looks like a factory unit. :dunno:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Chrome-Lens-Universal-4x4-Off-Road-Roof-Mount-Fog-Light-Lamp-w-Switch-Wire/332529712724?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D4a4a4dfec6294dcda634e6f654b0fe92%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D201926160172%26itm%3D332529712724&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

20d9adfff3582d051dc8542b0138df01.jpg

I know, right?  from the pics in the ad it looks like a plastic shell with bulbs stuck in it.  :dunno:  the factory unit is, well, kinda substantial by comparison with all the bracketry inside. 

ordered a switch panel.  I want to try and fit it into the little removable panel on the left where the factory roof light switch would be. 

I figure I'll need switches for

-winch lights

-extra reverse lights (still working on where I could put them)

-overhead inners

-overhead outers (if I go with that plan)

-extra (anti-theft?)

still contemplating what relay box to go with.

s-l1600.jpg

where these little guys were mounted:

switches.jpg

on the bigger side of this build, I'm now contemplating swapping in 4.10 geared axles (keeping IFS) from a 2.4 Libby.  I mean, I'll have the entire suspension torn apart anyways when I do the lift, right?  seems a no-brainer to me  :D  but finding a front 4.10 is an excruciating exercise in futility. :(  It has to be from an 02-05 2.4L with 4wd.  Seeing as they discontinued the 2.4 for 06-07, I can't imagine Jeep built too many of them.  :fistshake2:

How many did they make with the 2.4L? I don't think I've ever seen a KJ that wasn't either a CRD or 3.7 although I don't think I'd notice if I did see one honestly.

About a month too late, but there was a 2.4/4WD/5 speed down here in the junkyard that I saw recently.  What caught my eye was the shifter in the console, then I popped the hood LOL.

I'm sure it's long gone by now.....

how much more of an excuse do you need to go to a junkyard than a CC friend is in need of a part that juuuust might still be there! :D  Heck, I'm hitting up the pullapart tomorrow in hopes that the other skidplates might still be there.  plus for twenty some bucks, I'm getting a new hitch that isn't encrusted in the red stuff.  :brows:

in other news, today I came across an old pic of the Libby.  she was so young that the spare tire cover was still on!  :laugh: 

dollars to donuts that there are a few 8.8s in that trailer.  :L: 

DSC00072 (2).JPG

the next phase in bumper build has happened.  swapped out the stubby winch mount for a wider one (should have done that from the start) and mounted the light bar on it.  this is about as far as I can go without welding.  I also swapped out some of the winch electrical hardware with stainless since the OE crap had already started rusting.  :sad2:  oh, and I hit the grille with some satin black. 

20190109_132720.jpg

oh, and I re-attacked the pinch seal in the front wheelwells.  tires aren't getting chewed up anymore. :D  I'm glad the rims came with crappy tires of the size I want since it has shown that I can't get new tires until after the lift is on.