'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Literally anything you put back there is better than the OEM backup lights......I've never had a vehicle that was so hard seeing to back up at night.  Part of that could be the window tint on mine, though.

I like that hitch silencer thingy you got....I need one of those.  I scored a reallly nice hitch basket from Northern Tool last year, but it bangs around like nobody's business.  They had an el cheapo one on sale that I went to get, and the nice sales lady said they had a nicer one (like +$200 nice) that was a customer return so they couldn't sell it as new.  She said she'd mark it down to $99 for me, but I had a coupon for $20 off a $100 or more purchase, so I told her I'd give her $101 for it so I could also use the coupon:laugh:  I walked out of there with it for $81.

edit:  it's this one....looks like they kind of came down in price a bit.  It's foldable, too, but I have to use a hitch extender to fold it up otherwise it hits the spare.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200622233_200622233

yeah, I've thought about folding ones or those elevated ones (with the bent hitch tube) and that dang spare tire is always in the way.  fortunately this bracket dealie keeps the corners from dragging too much. :D   also it's far more stable when I stand on it.  I would love for some rounded corners though.  those sharp edges really dig into my shins! 

Pete (or Sam),

Do the diesels have that bleed screw/pipe plug on the water neck to burp the cooling system like the 3.7's?  I managed to royally strip out the head (8 mm inverted allen) on mine screwing around with my cooling system so much...total bonehead move, all my fault.  I grabbed a new one from a junkyard KJ but I have reservations about trying to get my old stripped one out.  If I fail, I'll end up having to replace the whole stupid timing cover (the waterneck is cast into it all as one piece, dumbest thing I ever saw).  I might just pony up and take it to a shop to have them try to get it out.  Maybe they can tack weld an actual nut onto the top of the plug and spin it out that way.  Welding heat should help, too (I don't weld).

KJ coolant-bleeding.jpg

3 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

... Maybe they can tack weld an actual nut onto the top of the plug and spin it out that way.  Welding heat should help, too...

Not your exact application, but I’ve had excellent results with welding a nut to any stuck plug or broken bolt in the past. I’ve got zero time for easy-outs. 

6 hours ago, neohic said:

Not your exact application, but I’ve had excellent results with welding a nut to any stuck plug or broken bolt in the past. I’ve got zero time for easy-outs. 

I have no d sire to dick around with this one, with easy outs or pipe plug removers.....I don't/can't weld, so if it costs me $25-50 or so to get it done I consider it money well spent.  Like I said, if I fubar it all up, the whole timing cover on the front of the engine will need to be replaced.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

my connection looks like a standard one.  no bleeder there. 

Consider yourself a lucky man, lol.:beerchug:

scored some KK front seats and 2 decent KJ black leather steering wheels today :D  (found one wheel at one yard and then an even better wheel at the next and I just couldn't turn it down)   oh, plus an 02 dash bezel with the dual cig lighters and some other random spare stuff.

from what I read online the seats were an easy install.  nope!  I had to hack off a good portion of the front inner steel support to get the passenger seat to fit properly on the floor. :mad:  and nothing I read mentioned the seat belts.  the two Jeeps use a different thread on that bolt plus the old end doesn't fit well into the new seat.  I didn't grab the seatbelts from the yard so I, um, made it fit. :rolleyes:  right about then I ran out of daylight so the rest will wait 'til tomorrow.

and that's right, if you didn't know it already, the KK passenger seat folds forward :D   plus they are comfy!  the old seats had long ago lost any "squishyness" they may have had when new.

20190208_180855.jpg

20190208_180829.jpg

I've got the physical installation down (I think), but the wiring is going to be interesting.  yours would be a bit easier though since you don't have the pass side pressure switch.  :L:  I'll take more detailed pics of what I had to do in the morning.

I intend to use the fold down option for sleeping. :D (also hauling long boards and such)  I've tried sleeping in the back (I'm too tall) and tried sleeping in the front seat (that just plain sucks) so I really looking forward to having a plank  from front to back so I can use it as a camper on trips.  :banana: 

Cool, cool.  Tomorrow (today) is Focus-focus day.  I doubt I'll do anything to the KJ this weekend.  In fact, I've still got those OEM tow hooks I pulled and made real purty sitting on the workbench, waiting to get installed lol.  Maybe if all the planets align and all goes as planned on the Ford I'll work on getting those put on.  Doubtful though.....that's the joys of trying to PM a 16 year old vehicle (focus, not KJ) that never really had any PM done on it to date.  You fix/replace one thing and break three other things in the process:laugh:

old vs new.  I can't figure out how to adapt the power tracks to the new seat so I'm just going to have it manual until more 2nd gen Libs show up in the yards.  the lower right bracket is the weird spot.  had to trim the pass seat, but the drivers seat squished the carpet just fine with no trimming required. :D 

20190209_124150.jpg20190209_124145.jpg

I also installed the '02 center trim with the double outlets. :D  

unfortunately I didn't think to snip off a plug for that second outlet, so I only have one for now.  :doh: 

I've also somehow misplaced the little hvac light bulbs I snagged, sooooo....  :doh:    :doh:  

also shown is the black trim to the right of the steering wheel I got because it's fancier than the plain green that was there before :D

20190208_205417.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hauled it up north for a guy to cover the cost of fuel to pick up my 4.88 axles I never used.  sorry it wasn't more interesting. :dunno:  although it was the worst fuel economy I ever got in the KJ.  highway trip in the single digits fahrenheit outside and super windy gave me I think 12 mpg.  that's Dakota RT territory right there.  :laugh:

On 2/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, Pete M said:

old vs new.  I can't figure out how to adapt the power tracks to the new seat so I'm just going to have it manual until more 2nd gen Libs show up in the yards.  the lower right bracket is the weird spot.  had to trim the pass seat, but the drivers seat squished the carpet just fine with no trimming required. :D 

20190209_124150.jpg20190209_124145.jpg

What happened with the seats? Have you thought about dismantling the seat frames and buckles to just swap them? It's hard to tell just from the 2 pics you posted if it's possible.

the frames, the wiring, the everything was different enough that I just gave up swapping guts and went the the seats as-is.  those 4 mounting points were the same generation to generation.  just needed a bit of trimming on the one side and some safe guarding of the wires under the carpet. 

• 2 weeks later...

holy crap I now have a bumper!  :banana:  like, a whole bumper, not just a bracket that holds up the winch.  :D   I stopped by for a way-too-short visit with Brandon on my way back to GA and we were able to knock out the last bit of the bumper using his mad fab skills.:bowdown:   I still need to finish up some internal painting and get those last 2 bolts in place, but it looks fantastic :grinyes:

20190323_115552.jpg

20190323_115542.jpg

20190323_115603.jpg

10 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Shipping to 23831?

:roflmao: 

yeah, so this would be the pre-pre-pre-pre-production model and is not for sale. :D   compared to XJs, Libertys are a... complicated beast up front.  I now know why there aren't many bumper choices out there.  :(  I still haven't addressed the exposed horns or washer bottle, and the center skidplate is my best attempt at protecting the fragile bits right behind it.  But I have given thought to a design that could be replicated, at least for the late KJs like mine.  I need to be able to spend more time at Brandon's and it'll be a bit before I can do that.  This trip was just a stopover on the way back to GA.