'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

boring update:  I developed another a bad shimmy under braking so I replaced all the brake parts at the corners with nice condition junkyard stuff; soft lines, calipers, pads, rotors.  A big thanks to whoever replaced all those parts on their KJ right before scrapping it. :L:   from that same Liberty I grabbed LCAs, knuckles, bearings, struts, etc. for the eventual lift (my stuff is just too rotted to reuse).  

boring update 2:  the mirrors now work (was a bad switch) and I've swapped out the why-the-hell-are-they-shiny trim bits inside with base model flat gray stuff.  :D  

coming soon:  functioning rear windows!  :D 

one window down (then up, then down, then up again :D ).  ran out of energy and light today so I'll tackle the other tomorrow.  

past-me seems to have unplugged the wire harness to the rear window switches (which are in the center console not the doors) and forgot to leave a note for present-me, soooooo that was a whole debacle-and-a-half trying to figure out why there wasn't power to the rear windows.  :roflmao:

success!  I had a burnt out motor, but as it so happens I grabbed a spare from the junkyard so all is well. :D  if anyone was curious, the motor/gear assembly doesn't swap left to right, but the motors themselves can be popped out and swapped.  :L:  

next up:  ABS computer swapping

• 2 months later...

oddly enough, one of the rims still has the machining marks in the surface.  maybe that one is aftermarket?  either way, they are going to look sweet. :D   tires still have some life in them.  

20180726_094957.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

wasn't able to buy a lift before the trip up to the PowWow, but I did find some time to fit the baby swampers. :D  they are only 29" so fender clearance is just fine, but the 15" rims require just a bit of grinding on the calipers to work.  

20180820_131849.jpg

20180820_131900.jpg

the baby swampers worked fantastic :D   I had to trim the inner fender liner a bit, but that was inevitable when the new bumper gets built.  I did noticed one little hiccup though.  the washer bottle hangs waaaaaaay low, down below the bumper.  not sure what to do about that one yet.  

IMG_9217.JPG

IMG_9220.JPG

• 2 months later...

I decided I didn't want to wait for the lift and tried the 245/75s as is.  rubs exactly where it should.  so I trimmed and hammered and now they don't. :applause: love those rims! :D 

Now I just need to figure out how to mount the winch...  :thinking:

20181106_172253.jpg

learned something new yesterday.  apparently I can flip the spare tire carrier upside down and lift the tire up a couple inches. :D  so that's what I did.  I added some spacers to the bottom to get the tire more plumb, but I may have to remove them when I get a set of new tires with full tread.  the window juuuust barely clears. 

the real question is if there is enough clearance to open the pintle hitch I use for the MJ trailer... 

20181109_140818.jpg

20181109_140845.jpg

20181109_140832.jpg

the bones are complete.  tomorrow is wiring.  but this is just "phase one".  it ain't pretty but it's solid.  :L:  I leave on weds for a camping trip and am in a hurry to get things ready.  the beautifacation will occur later. 

The light location is temporary.  eventually I want  hoop over the winch and then a skidplate where the lights are now.

20181110_185058.jpg

this is what's inside the frame rails.  the close 2 go down through the 1/4" angle iron and the tow hook mounts, the rear one just to a huge washer.  trying to attach things to the Libby frame is... more challenging than an MJ.  I also added bolts in the middle of the angle iron through the frame crossmember.  It's only a 5k winch.  this will be more than sufficient. :L:  I also upgraded the bolts that mount the winch.  I needed longer ones anyway, so why not splurge a bit.  :D

20181110_151407.jpg

got sick of the stupid factory acorns falling apart so I found a set of longer, solid lugnuts for like 13 bucks.  Couldn't pass that up!  Had the choice of black or chrome and went with black for some contrast. 

truly an epic upgrade. :D 

20181116_162343.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bought a cover for my winch. :D  no pics because, well, it's just a black neoprene winch cover. :dunno:  I'm sure you'll see it later on when I start work on the bumper. :L:

more pressing is now that I have the factory light bar I'm really torn about it vs a modern LED bar. 

392e3fac133e3c22278ec217fb689399.jpg

5218ab268f8f5b16dc7c7b1c8bde4270.jpg

I'm still waiting for one of those OEM bars to show up in the junkyard one day.  There was one KJ that had one, but it was snatched before I got to it.

That said, I prefer the look of the aftermarket LED one pictured on the silver one.  Alot.  Can also double as a mini sun visor during the daytime, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

keeping the light off the windshield is of key importance to me.  we did a curved LED bar in that location on my buddy's superduty and there is a blinding glare on the glass. :( 

lost a week of time due to a neighbor's house needing a near-complete rebuild of her chimney structure (I originally agreed to help prep for paint, but we found a leak in the flashing that had rotted most everything inside the chimney) so nothing has happened with the lights or bumper.  but the time has allowed me to ponder more.  I figure I'll need 4 switches (winch lights, outer uppers, inner uppers, and reverse floods).  thinking about this li'l guy, but haven't yet found the ideal place to put it. 

edd474f6-aba4-405f-a4f0-f45912a3d0ae.jpg