Seat Mounts: Dakota 40/20/40 to stock Comanche mounting holes

On 1/18/2018 at 12:08 PM, GrayWolf said:

On mounting.  We bolted the seats together so everything was one-piece and then set it directly on the tunnel, moving it back until the seat backs and console lid almost touch the rear window. 

Trying to envision this, but your console is more elevated due to the tunnel.  You had to unbolt once you had the seats situated inside, right?  If it remained bolted together, then all seats would be nearly equal in height, right?

Just bought my seats today and can't wait to hear more updates on the brackets.  Thank you so much for taking the lead on this, sir.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, coolwind57 said:

Trying to envision this, but your console is more elevated due to the tunnel.  You had to unbolt once you had the seats situated inside, right?  If it remained bolted together, then all seats would be nearly equal in height, right?

Just bought my seats today and can't wait to hear more updates on the brackets.  Thank you so much for taking the lead on this, sir.

With his bracket, the Dakota seats will fit in the Comanche just as they came out of the Dakota. They will be equal height. 

19 minutes ago, INjake89mj said:

With his bracket, the Dakota seats will fit in the Comanche just as they came out of the Dakota. They will be equal height. 

Why is everyone commenting about how the jump seat is more elevated than the two buckets when installed in the MJ?  You also see this in pics here on the forum.

9 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Why is everyone commenting about how the jump seat is more elevated than the two buckets when installed in the MJ?  You also see this in pics here on the forum.

MNKYboy's are mounted different. He mounted the center to the trans tunnel, and dropped the seats lower. His are not bolted together like factory. 

1 minute ago, INjake89mj said:

MNKYboy's are mounted different. He mounted the center to the trans tunnel, and dropped the seats lower. His are not bolted together like factory. 

Ok, you're right INjake89mj, I'm tracking you now.  I found this from GrayWolf on another thread:

"Yes, they are three parts and bolt together.  I had seen the post with the center section sitting higher and didn't want to do that.  I bolted them together first, then blocked them into place and fabricated from there."

I kept seeing comments about how others have the jump seat higher than the buckets.  That was by mounting them separately, which you'd gain a little more head room.  Gotcha.  I'm up for GrayWolf's method.

4 minutes ago, INjake89mj said:

By the way, where abouts in Indiana are you?

1 minute ago, coolwind57 said:

Ok, you're right INjake89mj, I'm tracking you now.  I found this from GrayWolf on another thread:

"Yes, they are three parts and bolt together.  I had seen the post with the center section sitting higher and didn't want to do that.  I bolted them together first, then blocked them into place and fabricated from there."

I kept seeing comments about how others have the jump seat higher than the buckets.  That was by mounting them separately, which you'd gain a little more head room.  Gotcha.  I'm up for GrayWolf's method.

I am too, I just hope that its not to tall. I had late model XJ seats on MJ brackets in my old truck and they were a little too tall. had maybe 2" head room. Didn't care for it. The reason i want the Dakota seats is I like having a console and the ability to have a bench as well. 

2 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

By the way, where abouts in Indiana are you?

Attica, It's about an hour straight west of Indy off 74.

I've got a really good friend that lives in the Paoli / French lick area. Not too far from you. 

3 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

Yep, mine are separated to sit close to stock but they are still a little higher than stock seats.

Keeping them together is going to make them really high, his seats are almost touching the arm rest.

PhotoGrid_1521898674161.jpg

Do you have any better pictures of what you used for mounts? I haven't bought a set of Dakota seats yet, so once I see them it may be self explanatory. 

Mine are a bit different than others, the Jeep had no brackets when I got it, it had some old chevy seats bolted to wood blocks.

The Dakota seats also came to me with nothing so everything had to be custom made, the rails are generic ones i pulled from a Ford conversion van, i bolted them to the seats then fabbed up some simple brackets to bolt them to the stock mounting points on the floor.

I did mine about 10 years ago, since then others have done it using parts from the stock brackets and Dakota brackets, seems that would be easier than how i did it.

12 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

Mine are a bit different than others, the Jeep had no brackets when I got it, it had some old chevy seats bolted to wood blocks.

The Dakota seats also came to me with nothing so everything had to be custom made, the rails are generic ones i pulled from a Ford conversion van, i bolted them to the seats then fabbed up some simple brackets to bolt them to the stock mounting points on the floor.

I did mine about 10 years ago, since then others have done it using parts from the stock brackets and Dakota brackets, seems that would be easier than how i did it.

:thumbsup: Thanks! 

Yep, I'm not sure what to think now.  GrayWolf is saying that the angle of his mounts place him back further and at 6' tall, he's comfortable.  I'm 5' 11" and he certainly looks skinnier than me, so perhaps my lard a@@ will help keep me from being too high.  

I'll try his mounts out if they end up being able to build them for us soon.  I may play around with my bench and Dakota seats to see if I can come up with a fab solution.  I'll keep you informed.  

On 3/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, mnkyboy said:

How did you attach your jumper seat?  Drill holes and use bolts, I assume?  Any "massaging" of the tunnel prior to?

6 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

I attached metal strap to the bottom of it and bolted it straight to the tunnel, I didn't do any tunnel mods at the time.

It's sitting as low as possible.

I'm brain storming here, man.  Thanks for sharing your method.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to budget around $200 in GrayWolf's soon-to-be available brackets or figure out if I can cut up my MJ bench mounts to use with my Dakota seats and pull this off myself.  More importantly than saving money to me is achieving max interior comfort AND getting that jump seat to match the two buckets as close as possible. 

GrayWolf, can you still toss your elbow out the driver's window comfortably while cruising?  Or are you back a bit too far?  Also, you look like you may no longer get any real use out of the door-mounted elbow rest.  Looks like it'd be too low.  Is this the case?  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...