Alfa Romeo project progress

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/23/2017 at 6:35 AM, Jeep Driver said:

I searched the SE, only one Spider and two 91s for sale on CL. 

How did you find this one? What did you pay for it?

Like I find most things. I stumble into them.

Was here in Prescott for years and I knew about it. Gave $500 for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cruiser - It sure sounds healthy, especially considering it’s recorded by cell phone, and sure looks good.  Are you painting it or buffing out the original paint?

Johnj -  all the car mags say the Miata is the best of the two, but the Fiat looks a little more “sports car” to me.  I don’t believe I could handle either as a DD.  As I get older I find it’s much easier to get down out of a pick-up than up out of a sports car.  

21 hours ago, Keyav8r said:

Cruiser - It sure sounds healthy, especially considering it’s recorded by cell phone, and sure looks good.  Are you painting it or buffing out the original paint?

Johnj -  all the car mags say the Miata is the best of the two, but the Fiat looks a little more “sports car” to me.  I don’t believe I could handle either as a DD.  As I get older I find it’s much easier to get down out of a pick-up than up out of a sports car.  

I'll update you on the paint later.

First off, I will not do a fancy paint job. I'm going for the 40 year old original paint look. I fixed the few rust spots and did things to prevent it happening again. 

On a very happy note, we sold this a few days ago. I've never been so glad to see a car go away as this one. Frickin British and their weird engineering. this car was always needing something. 

1-20170818_153018.jpg

1-20170818_153040.jpg

1-20170818_153056.jpg

1-20170818_153105.jpg

1-20170818_163157.jpg

7 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

On a very happy note, we sold this a few days ago. I've never been so glad to see a car go away as this one. Frickin British and their weird engineering. this car was always needing something. 

1-20170818_153018.jpg

Sell it at Barrett-Jackson? It's going on right up the road from you...   :D

I visited a fellow pilot once who was the administrative manager for a Jaguar dealership.  As we were walking over to look at a pump station, we passed the service department and I asked him if the stories about Jaguar’s poor reliability were true.  He said “Look for yourself.  Every service bay is full and we have a service lot that has two more cars for each service bay”.  He told me that Jaguar was notorious for electrical problems because they used Lucas Electric components and in England Lucas is known as “The House of Darkness”.

Although they make some beautiful cars, I’ve easily been able to resist the urge to buy one.

I've had a few MGs and lots of old Volvos. All had Lucas electrics. All Fred said is true, only more so. Just a few:

If Lucas invented guns, wars would not start.

Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.

Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.