48 Ford F1

Just now, shelbyluvv said:
1 minute ago, HOrnbrod said:
You can drop Henry off here on your way back east when the time comes. I'll give Henry a good home.   :beerchug:

That's momma's truck. You'll have to fight her for that!

No thanks! I'd rather fight you.   :laugh:

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I am retired from the Marine Corps and have a little bit of extra cash and time I decided to get back after the F1. We picked up the donor last week. A 99, Awd, 5.0L Explorer. I am doing a body swap onto the Explorer chassis. I got the donor for $500. It has 100k on it. The one issue is the fuel pump is dead. I decided replace it the easiest way I could think of. Yep, cut the floor open. I am not using the body so why not?eab85a1583e5758c7670adef47d7fd65.jpgfc9e6f54e29d2357ec229e7eaab34f35.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Exploder was no match for the sawzall and cutoff wheel. I will pressure wash the frame and engine tomorrow. I will have to pull the ECM and engine harness to send them off to be modified as a stand alone harness.

We are putting a Vortech super charger on it and need the ability to tune it.

Stay tuned, there's more to come!0c568704b0e702d81a409a62c03bbbc7.jpg6cd9f1b3649811e5fc4147b92f80a93e.jpgff08387243e99d6e5a8ec2a411bf30b1.jpg62627c97fac49beb7d77c742e7fca554.jpg5185a543afeb1fe33fe2243ceb0f6e54.jpg

You made quick work of the explorer. Just have to ask, did you drive it after you voted all the extra off. That is going to be one fine truck!
I did drive it around the property. It rides rough but flys! Cutting all that weight out of it made a big difference. I'm excited to get the old dude on the road. It's such a cool truck. It deserves to be brought into modern times.

• 2 months later...

Looking good Bo. Really looking forward to seeing the future outcome here! This project is right up my alley.

Have you figured where the engine will land in relation to the firewall or are you okay with rearranging and getting new driveshafts?

Looking good Bo. Really looking forward to seeing the future outcome here! This project is right up my alley.

Have you figured where the engine will land in relation to the firewall or are you okay with rearranging and getting new driveshafts?
It is a fun project. I can't wait to have it running. The engine will be in the stock Explorer location. The front fenders will be perfectly centered over the wheels with no firewall mods. The front frame horns will need to be cut to let the front apron fit.

The wheel base is only 2" shorter from the F1's length. I had Tom at Alcan make me custom main leafs that will kick the rear axle back the 2". This will keep my rear axle centered in the wheel wells.

I will have to move the cross member behind the rear axle back 2" to keep the shocks and sway bar happy. That's as simple as drilling 2 new holes and bolting it down. There should be plenty of length in the brake lines to accommodate the stretch.

For the driveshaft, I will have one built to handle the 450 horse we are expecting the truck to put down with the super charger.

I got the offending floor cut out to clear the transmission and transfer case. This allowed the body to set down a solid 4". The bed is next to be mocked up. Once everything is in place I will start the process of mounting everything to the frame. 3f86c6fb641e89c1a48b6cd719d91d5b.jpg

Looking Good Bo!  Should be nice and comfortable ride on the Explorer. 

Any plans for sound insulation in the cab?
Thanks John! It will have heat/sound deadening all over the floor, roof and doors. Then I will lay down carpet and install a headliner.

You are not painting hidden parts before you assemble it?  Will the dash be from the original truck or the Explorer. Great job!

I will blow it back apart to clean, detail and paint all of it. It's just in mock up right now. I have to assemble it to figure out where the cab is best on the frame. We're keeping the original dash and interior stock appearing. The body will be stock also. Just modern running gear underneath to make a nice driver.

Today I had just a couple hours to mess with the truck. I got the bed sat into place and it doesn't look bad at all. I need to lower the suspension 2" but other than that I think I'm leaving it as it sits.

I thought the 2" difference in wheelbase would stick out like a sore thumb but honestly I can't tell the difference. 350471ab61a245add8244604e9049bdc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Manche757 said:

There is a serious lack of pictures going on. 

I will get back to working on it hopefully the next day of so. Then I go on a business trip to California for 3 weeks. I want to at least get the cab firmly mounted and the floor built.