College Budget 1987 MJ Build

very nice!  I love a chrome grille    chrome mirrors exist too and you can snag chrome drip rails from an XJ and cut to size if you want to add a couple more bits of bling.  :L:

It’s got the chrome drip rails, but I’m not certain how I feel about a bunch of chrome yet. Also, every mirror I find around here has a broken mounting bracket and flops around. I’m still on the hunt for another 10 slot grill because I like the way they look better and it’s what it had when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking jeep! How’d you get 17-21 mpg out of the 4.0? I’ve only ever managed 13-15 mpg.  I have 33s and a 4 inch lift but it shouldn’t be that big of a difference.  Is it the renix 4.0?

I’m sure the manual helps, but it’s got a cam that is said to improve torque and fuel economy. It is a renix operating system, but a bastard motor. Recently I’ve been getting worse since it only makes short trips around the city with a lot of traffic and it’s not been running correctly. I’m slowly working everything out, but there’s a lot wrong with it that I keep uncovering.

I get about 17-22 out my 2001 Cherokee running a K&N, a riser, and a flow master. I’m on 30s with no lift. But I keep my foot out of it.

I’ve never been a fan of K&N personally. I like my stock intake with wix filters. I’ve been meaning to do a 2.5” exhaust all the way out, but I haven’t been able to justify spending that kind of monkey just yet. I keep my foot in it most of the time around town. It’s fun having the power.

I got LED reverse lights and brake lights for Christmas and thought that was all I would convert to LED on this truck since I think the LED headlights just wouldn't look period correct on the truck. I decided that I did want to do the front bulbs though, so I ordered those tonight and I hope that I won't run into the issues I had when converting the XJ to LEDs. I got 1157 amber bulbs and 194 amber bulbs. If I ever decided to put LED headlights in the truck I will most likely give the "switchback" bulbs a try in the front. Those are the ones that are white with the running light, but then switch to amber when the turn signal is applied.

Well I attempted to put the led front turn signals in because I read a post on here that someone had said they didn’t need resistors or a different relay, but my turn signals won’t work with the LEDs in so I need to figure out which relay I need and make another attempt

Damn son, you did't waste any time getting on that receiver. I meant to tell you you should take the surface peeling off and POR15 it and then put a topcoat of regular enamel before you put it on.

I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and got some good converter, primer, and a few coats of enamel on it. Put it on the truck the day after that and hopefully I’ll get to use it soon.
Today I bought an REM to hopefully go through some of the running data and see why it acts funky sometimes.

I've driven it a few times with the REM now and it seems the ignition timing is over 40 degrees every time it stumbles and at idle the timing is around 24* so I think I'll try turning the distributor back a tooth and see how it does. I'm not sure how many degrees one tooth turns it back though. I guess I'll try it tomorrow (hopefully) after class.

Setting the timing back one tooth seemed to have fixed all of the hesitation and stumbling. I still think it’s a few degrees off but one more tooth puts it way too far back. But the timing is still a little over 40 degrees at times.

the computer controls the timing, but can only adjust it so much and if you're off a tooth, it'll run rough. 

Runs much better back a tooth, but it still seems a little off and I can’t help but wonder if moving back just a couple more degrees would be the sweet spot. I’ve seen a good bit of complaints about aftermarket distributors being off on the timing some.

Got a distributor cap at the junkyard to cut open and check the distributor indexing. Also got some front wheel well liners, the pieces to make a rear sway bar, a 97+ washer bottle, the correct speedo gear for 3.55s and I think that’s it. Just need to get time to mess with the truck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So with tax return money coming I think I’m finally going to put a nice exhaust on the truck instead of the hacked together pieces. So here’s some questions. 2.25 or 2.5” pipe, what exhaust manifold, or just go with any eBay special?, and should I leave everything factory location or what? I think I like the factory side exit, but I’m open to idea on how to the the tail section

I take it your running a throttle cable straight to the throttle body. As in no Renix bell crank. Any chance you have a week return spring in the throttle body? Just asking it of this bring a problem I had before.

I take it your running a throttle cable straight to the throttle body. As in no Renix bell crank. Any chance you have a week return spring in the throttle body? Just asking it of this bring a problem I had before.

I’m running a mid 90s throttle cable. I don’t remember which year exactly, but I think it was a nickintimefilms video that told the year to find. I have a good return spring and I have the extra spring manual jeeps have on them. The throttle does close completely.