True to my avatar name once again ...

Smoked directionals ... The outside is complete (for now) ... need to replace the headliner.  The winter collection of bolt on, stick on, stick in, stuff that was in the corner of my livingroom, is in its proper place. 

smoked.jpg

Discovered a cool thing ... err ... person.  72 year old retired industrial arts teacher turned body man. Bill listed on CL as "quality work, best supplies, lifetime* guarantee*". I had to ask about the asterisks, so I called and told him what I had and if he would take a look. 

His explanation was his work would outlive him and if not, he'd fix it or pay to have it fixed (act of God or MVA excluded).  I should mention, he's in very good health!  :L:

The back story is; 35 years ago he started doing body work for a dealership on the side, because his teacher's salary wouldn't pay for family, house, education ... etc.  He discovered he had the knack and made a lot more $ doing autobody (sad fact).  Now he does the work in his garage when it's convenient for him, or to pay his mooring charges for his fishing boat.  Stroke of luck, he needed cash.

Testing the waters, I brought my XJ to him. It was keyed the length of the driver's side while the previous owner left it at a park-n-ride outside DC.  The previous pic is a testament to his work.  Looks new!   

My Comanche is in his garage as I write this.  Can't wait!

• 5 months later...

Having some unhappiness here.  I've have a "clunking" that emanates from one, or perhaps two places. 

Now bare in mind, I drive my XJ like a car.  On a smooth surface under 60MPH it rides beautifully.  Nice, quiet, smooth.  However, when I pass over even the slightest crack in the road I get a clunk the seems to come from the left front. When I'm on the highway traveling over 65MPH the clunk becomes almost rotational and I can feel it at my feet.  The driveline is a little loud when the 4wd in engaged (traveling at speed 50MPH-ish), but it has no effect on the clunk.  

Nothing is visibly loose.  I slid under it with all four wheels on the ground and knocked and shook everything I could reach.  Nothing moved.  Any ideas? 

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, 1989commanche said:

Check control arm bushings.

Appreciate the reply.  I cross-posted to the MJ tech forum and got a lot more traffic.  Check out "Mystery Clunk" please help. 

You're on the mark though. I'm actually having MetalCloak upper and lower control arms installed today.    

The clunk was coming from the heim joints on the Rough Country junk installed last year.  

• 1 year later...

Don't want to impose in MJ tech ...

My 01 XJ recently started to skip at idle.  It runs rough at cold starts.  It seems to load up if I let it idle for an extended period (5+ minutes), shut it down

and then restart while still warm.  

Had a full tune up less than a year ago.  Plugs, coil pack, filters.  Also replaced all the injectors.

This skip just started.  No check engine, no codes.  It smooths out over 2k rpm.

My mechanic is out recovering from hip replacement and everyone else at the shop is scratching their head.  They're saying it's a fuel problem.

38 minutes ago, NHMJXJ said:

Don't want to impose in MJ tech ...

My 01 XJ recently started to skip at idle.  It runs rough at cold starts.  It seems to load up if I let it idle for an extended period (5+ minutes), shut it down

and then restart while still warm.  

Had a full tune up less than a year ago.  Plugs, coil pack, filters.  Also replaced all the injectors.

This skip just started.  No check engine, no codes.  It smooths out over 2k rpm.

My mechanic is out recovering from hip replacement and everyone else at the shop is scratching their head.  They're saying it's a fuel problem.

at least post that up in the Pub so more eyeballs will see it. :L: 

• 2 years later...

Starting to detail under the hood (or in this case the underside of the hood).  22 years of grime takes about an hour to remove. 

Didn't come as clean as I had hoped, but it's a start. 

IMG_20230701_165215476_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230701_181117674.jpg