True to my avatar name once again ...

Nice no rust! Exact same year and color as my mine less rust though. When I bought mine A year ago it had right at 98000 on it also. Sadly the 2001 motor lived up to its history and went not long after. Now its running a built 96 with a 97 head if the engines is still good toss that 2001 head its a time bomb.

Don't jinx me!  My last XJ was an '01 and I never had a problem.  Sold it with about 140K on it.  My tool box is a visa card, so "tossing the head" it's a costly preventative option. I suppose the alternative is more expensive though.

• 3 weeks later...

Handsome ride there INjake89mj.   Looked super clean in the pics.  I should also mention I'm suffering from "garage envy".  Is the pic of your XJ in _your_ garage?

I shopped mine around for some lift estimates the end of this past week.  I went to Steve's Jeep Country in Epsom, NH on Friday and Black Widow Customs in Manchester, NH on Saturday in the snow.  Both places asked what tire size I planned to put on it before even talking about a lift.  I appreciated that I wasn't "judged" when I said I wanted to keep a highway tire design.  I'm at odds with engineering to achieve what I'm after.  XJ's have some width limitations of which I wasn't aware.  The look I'm after is a challenge.

8 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Handsome ride there INjake89mj.   Looked super clean in the pics.  I should also mention I'm suffering from "garage envy".  Is the pic of your XJ in _your_ garage?

The garage is actually the farm shop, right now there's a bulldozer in there for an injector leak, but mostly its used for Jeep projects. 

9 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

I'm at odds with engineering to achieve what I'm after.  XJ's have some width limitations of which I wasn't aware.  The look I'm after is a challenge.

what is it you're looking for?

As I wrote in the "complete lift kit" thread ... I'm looking for BIG, FAT and under.   :D

With the exception of maybe two vehicles I've owned in my life, I've always put after market wheels and tires on to separate them from the herd.  Without exception or suspension modification, they were the absolute widest I could fit that didn't extend (much) beyond the wheel well.  I just like that look.  Like when you pull up behind a 60's muscle car that's tubbed.    

Here's my previous XJ ...

06282014 036.jpg

• 1 month later...

Didn't achieve "fat", but they're big and under.  Looks stout.  I went with a 2" lift overall with adjustable control arms.   I'm satisfied. 

I can't wait 'til we have some warmer, dryer weather.  I don't have a garage.  I have a bunch of bolt on things I've accumulated, which are sitting

in a pile in the corner of my living room.  

Here she is, a couple inches taller ...

004.JPG

• 4 months later...

Yeah pretty. There is a lot of chrome on her, that had to be a little tuff to track down. I want a pic of that front header posted. I keep turning my head to try to see it in the first 2 pics. I wish there were more chrome options than what was offered for late model xjs. In my opinion, the best looking mjs and xjs had some chrome.

Didn't achieve "fat", but they're big and under.  Looks stout.  I went with a 2" lift overall with adjustable control arms.   I'm satisfied. 

I can't wait 'til we have some warmer, dryer weather.  I don't have a garage.  I have a bunch of bolt on things I've accumulated, which are sitting
in a pile in the corner of my living room.  

Here she is, a couple inches taller ...

004.thumb.JPG.174cc095620b9bddd9ca880f20af7a0d.JPG

They look good with 2-3 inch lift. Got a 2001 8yrs ago had an incredible 3 thousand on it. Was a chase car for large RV. Guy had it on the net for 20 min before I saw it. Bought it at 7am next morning in Anaheim. Its my fifth one and the best one I’ve owned. Has 108 thousand on it now. I’ll never sell it. They’ll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. Congrats on getting a beautiful car.

88 Pioneer 4x4 auto LB D30/D44
88 Eliminator 4x2 5sp SB D35

Yeah pretty. There is a lot of chrome on her, that had to be a little tuff to track down. I want a pic of that front header posted. I keep turning my head to try to see it in the first 2 pics. I wish there were more chrome options than what was offered for late model xjs. In my opinion, the best looking mjs and xjs had some chrome.

Agreed, chrome trim is making a comeback here in southern CA. Hope is a trend.

88 Pioneer 4x4 auto LB D30/D44
88 Eliminator 4x2 5sp SB D35

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

mmmmm - chromed Ravines.

PVD Chrome ... they're knock-offs.  Very reasonably priced for chrome.  I would have been disappointed if you didn't say something! 

1 hour ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I want a pic of that front header posted.

If you don't mind aftermarket (read: Chinese) chrome doo-dads, a lot can be had on eBay.  The grille and headlight doors were a package and

were less that $100 delivered.  The rear bumper $97 delivered. 

The tailgate hatch visor is discontinued and a clean one is hard to find.  There's a vendor on eBay from whom I've bought overhead consoles. 

I asked if he would keep an eye out when he was harvesting parts and he came through!  I have a spare that the chrome is pealing up, but the

visor in the pic is super clean.

summer4.jpg