The Golden Eagle MJ

I got the crossmember for about 300 but I'll be doing my own arms.  I have a guy down in NC that's going to make me up a set of Aluminum links as soon as I get him the numbers.  As for longarms there is absolutely nothing to fear, your gonna love them once they are installed.

2 hours ago, Chargum85 said:

This is absolutely amazing.  Any reason why you didn't get the whole truck repainted?

I kinda blew my paint budget on a rear ARB, gears and pump.  So the plan is to wheel it till fall and save some money.

Spent the entire day assembling the front axle with new bearings, seals, brakes ect.  I was nearly finished earlier and realized I had forgotten to grease the ball joints.  With the RCV axles I have to run a plug in the upper so everything had to be disassembled.  Oh well it's finished now and as soon as my aluminum links arrive I can mount this thing for good.

IMG_20180331_174018.jpg

Started messing around with the rock rails again and even though I love how heavy JCR built these things I just don't like how they don't follow the body line.  I may have to cut them up and remove some from the front leg.

IMG_20180331_183356.jpg

IMG_20180331_183415.jpg

Before I can install the rear flares I had to get these Dirtbound lower bed armor plates installed.  This ended up being much harder than I expected and getting everything to line up was a real chore.  But its done and I can mark this off the punch list.
IMG_20180324_173402.jpg.e770e0c4b5869cc4810e7e390bf01772.jpg

I’m loving this build, thanks for sharing it. So about those bed armor plates, would they protect the bed from drop offs like ledges and stuff? I want to build a wheeler but I don’t wanna bob my bed or remove it. I’d go this route if they would work as “sliders” per se.

I chose them for the same reason, since I plan to sleep in the back and need to be as long as possible.  They will definitely help but not sure they would be strong enough to be sliders.  I was thinking about adding a leg over to the Unibody rail to help reinforce them.

Been messing around with these again this morning.  By adding an inch to the rear leg it doesn't make it perfect but at least I won't have to move the pinch seam rail.

IMG_20180401_101100.jpg

Decided to put a new joint and bushing on my Trackbar today and what should have been a quick job took nearly 2 hours.  Note to self: Always, always, always use never sieze.

IMG_20180401_124226.jpg

Not a bad day in the garage,  I was able to rebuild, prep, paint and install my Trackbar, Trackbar mount and frame brace.  I also finished up the draglink on the Barnes steering kit.

IMG_20180401_162756.jpg

I rolled the front axle under and hooked up the PVC arms and Trackbar just to see how it was going to fit with the front wheel on.  As far as I'm concerned it's perfect and the front flares are gonna cover well also. Can't wait to get this piece out in the woods.

IMG_20180401_171123.jpg

IMG_20180401_171930.jpg

This may be tougher than I thought, this is a lot of tire to stuff in a small hole.  With the other side a full droop I get into the area above the coil first.  May have to put a small spacer in or increase the lift from 6 to 8.

IMG_20180404_121329.jpg

Mounted up the 4-6 inch lift Bilstein and at ride height I have 2 inches of up travel on the shock.  Looking more and more like I'll be going up another couple inches.

IMG_20180404_143800.jpg

Had a productive weekend working on buttoning up alot of little stuff on the Golden Eagle MJ.  Hung a new cat, muffler and O2 sensors. Banged in a bunch of new ujoints, mocked up new rear shock mounts, made some brackets to hold the rear caliper hoses and threw on some new brakes.  Finished up my drag link on the steering and a ton of other little things that seem to eat up time.

IMG_20180408_164833.jpg

Since I'm not going to make paint till this fall I decided to add some.decals to the bedside to try and mask the old Sport Truck decal.  Something to kinda distract the eye.

IMG_20180408_180608.jpg

IMG_20180408_180521.jpg

My brother came over on Wednesday and finished up all the welding on the Golden Eagle MJ.  We also got the FSJ pitman arm installed and the steering finished up. Installed new bushings and mounting up all the shocks. Finished up the 3 link along with a lot of little things off the punch list.  Still waiting on my Aluminum links but went ahead an ordered some DOM from Barnes to make up a set to run on and use as trail spares later.

IMG_20180413_100331.jpg

IMG_20180413_095339.jpg

IMG_20180413_095100.jpg

Today makes exactly 5 months since I started the Golden Eagle MJ.  My goal was to drive it out of the garage under it's own power.  It was nearly dark and raining but it's sitting on it's own again.

IMG_20180415_204211.jpg

IMG_20180415_204300.jpg

IMG_20180415_204148.jpg

IMG_20180415_204228.jpg