The Golden Eagle MJ

15 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Before you drill your hinges to 5/16" try getting a 7mm metric bolt (10.9 grade preferably, 8.8 would be fine) that's the right length, and drill the hinges to 17/64.  The 7mm bolt will be a bit too large for the hole, but since your hand drilling them there might well be enough wobble that it will be close to going, so you can file the hole out a bit and get it.  Or final drill it with a letter J drill and a steady hand, which is only about a thou and change larger than 7mm.

I suppose you could use a 7mm drill, but nobody stocks metric stuff.

You don't want to oversize them too much or the hinge itself will want to stretch.

I put high tolerance 1/4" bolts in the last set I did, they're just a hair bigger than a normal 1/4" bolt, it was enough that it tightened them up for the time being.

Thanks, I'll look for some 7mm bolts.

12 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

I dig the headliner.  I'm partial to having something more interesting than standard, factory solid colors.  

headliner.jpg.25bbed04068dee711a6f2e529798b93d.jpg

That's interesting that you have a center rear dome light.   Looks like you added that.  And that thing in between your sun visors is perhaps a map light?  Stock?

Yea I put the center light in because I'm not a big fan of the B-Pillar lights. The thing between the visors was on the XJ.  Not sure of it's purpose but I'm going to put some switches in it.

Well I'm hesitant to say it but I think I'm finally finished with all the modifications inside the cab.  I plugged all the holes, added liberal amounts of body sealer, mounted the emergency brake, welded the door hinges and welded in the seat mounts.  Now I can put n the carpet.

IMG_20180120_151647.jpg

Got the XJ doors mounted up this afternoon and after chasing down a ground problem I even got the power windows and locks working.  Still have to finish up swapping the door strikers over but at least it's water tight again.

IMG_20180121_144110.jpg

IMG_20180121_120441.jpg

Took the entire day to strip, lengthen and solder the rear harness's back to the tail lights.  Since the XJ ran the tail light harness back both sides I had to remove the fuel tank to get the driver's side in.  This job took much longer than expected but I'm glad it's finished. Now that I have lights I can start driving it.

IMG_20180128_165723.jpg

Disassembled the HP 44 this afternoon to check gears, bearing ect.  I always hold my breath every time I open a diff cover, but i was happy to find no chips, excessive wear or metal shavings.  Time to give it a coat of paint and roll it under the Comanche.

IMG_20180204_154341.jpg