The Golden Eagle MJ

Hoping to button up the body wiring today, I have to extend the rear harness 2 feet and I have no backup lights which I'm assuming is the NSS. But it seems that everything else is working fine.

IMG_20180111_093005.jpg

IMG_20180111_092918.jpg

Well I finally got the roll pins out of both sides.  I had bought some 1/4th inch round stock to make pins out of but it appears my hinges themselves are worn.  Looks like I will have to drill everything out to 5/16th instead.  I still have to weld up the hinges, you can see where the top hinge is pulling away from the body.

IMG_20180113_133618.jpg

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

It's nice to be retired and have all that free time.   :thumbsup:

I wish I was really retired but unfortunately I couldn't live on Navy retirement pay.  After getting home to WV I started working for the Federal Government and I've been there ever since.  On the bright side in another 11 years I'm eligible to retire again.

Before you drill your hinges to 5/16" try getting a 7mm metric bolt (10.9 grade preferably, 8.8 would be fine) that's the right length, and drill the hinges to 17/64.  The 7mm bolt will be a bit too large for the hole, but since your hand drilling them there might well be enough wobble that it will be close to going, so you can file the hole out a bit and get it.  Or final drill it with a letter J drill and a steady hand, which is only about a thou and change larger than 7mm.

I suppose you could use a 7mm drill, but nobody stocks metric stuff.

You don't want to oversize them too much or the hinge itself will want to stretch.

I put high tolerance 1/4" bolts in the last set I did, they're just a hair bigger than a normal 1/4" bolt, it was enough that it tightened them up for the time being.

I dig the headliner.  I'm partial to having something more interesting than standard, factory solid colors.  

headliner.jpg.25bbed04068dee711a6f2e529798b93d.jpg

That's interesting that you have a center rear dome light.   Looks like you added that.  And that thing in between your sun visors is perhaps a map light?  Stock?